C4 Forums | Control4

Card Access Contact Sensor Temperature on Thermostat screen?

[BlackDiamond]

Hey Guys,

New on the boards and hoping to get some advice.

My home has a Trane 900 programmable thermostat which I do not intend to remove from my HVAC system, and so I don't really care about integrating the HVAC to C4.

However, I'd love to be able to display the current INTERIOR and EXTERIOR temperatures under the comfort button and screens.

Is there a way to do this with a pair of Card Access Sensor thermometers?

Cheers

^Are you saying it is possible to override the actual displayed temperature (on a C4 stat) with a variable such as the T on a CA relay?

Not on the physical stat on your wall.

You can add the driver for the stat without having the physical hardware installed and use a temp sensor and CA relay to measure the temp and update the value that appears on the GUI.

I see. But as far as actually linking the CA relay T to a physical C4 stat, for the purpose of controlling HVAC, still doesn't sound possible. Currently, I just use the CA relay T in some algorithm to modify the setpoint around the stat T, whatever that may be.

Henniae, if I follow as you indicated, what happens with the thermostat controls on the interface? Do they appear at all? Or does it just show temperature? Will it display the temps exactly as shown with a C4 thermostat?

Lastly, I know the data relayed from the CA sensors is in Farenheit, any way to change / convert to celsius?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
^Are you saying it is possible to override the actual displayed temperature (on a C4 stat) with a variable such as the T on a CA relay?

Not on the physical stat on your wall.

You can add the driver for the stat without having the physical hardware installed and use a temp sensor and CA relay to measure the temp and update the value that appears on the GUI.

This is not what I call a cool feature. I don't understand why a CA thermistor can't be read and decisions made as to whether or not heating or cooling is needed ALL FROM THE CA DRIVER in question.

There are a couple of ways to display the temperature in Control4 systems. Here are two ways that I know of utilizing our Contact Switch temperature sensing capability:

Display Temperature as a screen saver:

In System Design add a Control4 Thermostat wherever you want to display the card access temp. (only "virtual", not an actual physical thermostat)

Go to your Card Access Switch (device) in Programming, expand it with the "+"

Click "LOCAL_TEMPERATURE"

You will see that the event is "WHEN LOCAL_TEMPERATURE CHANGES"

On the right side (ACTIONS), find your "virtual" C4 Thermostat and expand it "+"

Click on TEMPERATURE

SET VALUE TO (last option bottom right) = the name of your Card Access Device -> LOCAL TEMPERATURE

Set the Thermostat to be visible in the room with the “virtual” t-stat.

Refresh your navigators

Utilizing the temperature consolidator in 1.6 or later (display 7 temperatures simultaneously):

During the Control4 Version 1.6 Beta Test, a sample DriverWorks “driver” called the “Temperature Consolidator” was produced. It creates a Pop-Up for temperature states that can be displayed on any Navigator. This application can gather and display temperature data from a Control4 Thermostat, a Card Access InHome Wireless Contact Switch or Relay, and from services such as WeatherBug.

To utilize the DriverWorks code, just add the attached driver into the project and you can create the programming.

One thing to be aware of is that the Temperature 4 variable was set to be a STRING so that it could be mapped to the Weather Bug CURRENT_TEMP variable. All the other variables (Temperature 1, 2, 3, 5, & 6) are numeric and can map to the Card Access or Control4 devices’ temperature system variable.

• 5 months later...

I'm trying to sort this all out. In my home, I have three different GUIs I can access to manage my system:

*Navigators - Infinity Edge Touch Screens, TVs

*MyHome App - (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad)

*Web Navigator - HTML and Flash interfaces at My.Control4.com

If I want to know how cold it is outside, I have the following inputs:

*Weather.com API call C4 makes for me and displays on my Navigators

*CardAccess external (remote) thermistor that connects through my CA Contact Sensor

*CardAccess internal (local) thermistor that is on the PCB inside the CA Contact Sensor

Thanks to CardAccess, I have a nifty driver (http://www.cardaccess-inc.com/automation/promo/20101123m/index.php?a=article3) that lets me hook the remote temperature values being read at the Contact Sensor, but most of my GUIs won't display them:

*Navigators - They show if I click on "Comfort" as if they were other thermostats, but if I try to assign them to the room they are in, the home screen icon shows the red circle with the slash through it and doesn't show a temperature value

*MyHome App - They don't show at all

*Web Navigator - They show in the Flash version, but not in the HTML

So it's cool I can program against the remote temperature values, but it would be really cool to be able to easily see them all from my GUIs.

Anyone have any edits to my summary above? I'd love to hear I'm doing it wrong, or I just need to program something differently...

And why are all of these GUIs just a little different? Does C4 outsource these to different vendors? Seems like there would be one master UI to rule them all.

Archived