C4 Forums | Control4

Install problem with speaker point, any ideals?

TonyS.

I just got done adding 4 speaker points to my system. The first SP, second SP, fourth Speaker Point all updated fine and are working, but the third SP is just kinda hanging there?

From the two screen shots, you can see that the speaker point titled Master Bedroom is showing up in the system, but it is stuck at that point of the install.

The first SP and third SP are new out of the box, the first SP updated from 1.3.0 to 1.8.2 just fine. The second SP and fourth SP are used, and updated from 1.7.4 to 1.8.2 with out a problem..

After a couple hours waiting for it to connect to see what it was running, I gave up and went ahead and tried to do a restore using 1.7.4 restore usb stick. I powered the unit down and installed the restore stick, then powered it back up. It just came back on like before doing the same thing.

To make sure the 1.7.4 restore stick was working I tried to restore one of the other SP that I update to 1.8.2.. I powered it up with the stick and it started restoring with out a problem, after it was done put it back in the system and updated to 1.8.2. again. So I know the 1.7.4 usb restore stick works fine.

Has anyone seen this happen before? Is there any steps I can do to get the speaker point show what it's running.

Why wouldn't it restore like the other one did? I am hoping this is not a bad unit, It maybe be new in the box but I had it for a good while now.

It you have any I deals, please let me know. I just hate to pay out of pocket to get it fixed, just to find out that there was something I could have done in the first place to get it working.

Thanks, Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brief history of myself so you know why I'm here in the forum, and why I may be asking for help from time to time...

I was finally able to upgrade from X-10 and logitec to control4 thought my sister-in-law's boyfriend. Who at the time was an installer a local home audio and video store that sold control4. Now for sometime I knew he was also getting ready to go into business with another coworker and open their own store and would no longer deal with control4 product.

At the time he was still at the old business he sold me a 300hc and a couple outlet dimmers. I was wanting to get some more stuff before he started his new job, so my brother who is an electrician and I did some work for cash and trade for control4 stuff at his house. Most of the stuff was what he already had for himself or was floor demos. Not really a big deal to me, just as long as it worked.

He also gave me some usb restore sticks and a copy of composer pro 1.8.2 on a disc (please do not ask for a copy, thank you). He did show me how to do some things with composer pro, just not a lot. I do backup each project as I go when I change anything.

So now I'm on my own, as he has no time to help me with working with my system anymore. I am still adding stuff I got from him to my system, one piece at a time. Also looking to add a GE Concord4 alarm system to my house with the help of my brother, he's the one with all the power tools...lol

Since I have been reading a lot of the post here, well before I posted the first time. I understand some my not want to help me because I am a consumer with an installers tool. I understand and respect that, that is you choice. I am not asking for any trade secrets. If anything just guidance to issue I may run into.

Hope we can all be friends,

Tony

Thanks,

HookedOnC4 and ILoveC4 for responding to my question. A big THANKS. :D

I did try the 1.3.2 restore stick, but like ILoveC4 said it did not work.

I also tried 1.3.0 install stick, and it also didn't work. I could see the usb stick light flash, so I know the usb drive could be seen by the speaker point.

So It looks like I'm back were I started.

Any other ideals I could try, or am I just beating a DOA horse with a stick ?

Tony

• 7 months later...

Tony, did you get anywhere with your situation? I've added a pair of Speakerpoints; one upgraded without trouble, the other not-so-much. Looks like the same scenario. When I try to do the recovery I run "./sp" which is followed by no messages (contrary to what the Restore docs suggest)... and soon the telnet session disconnects. LEDs don't indicate anything is happening. After a power cycle I can telnet in again. The restore hasn't run and Composer won't connect. Sound about right? Did you find a solution?

Thanks,

Mark

Tony, did you get anywhere with your situation? I've added a pair of Speakerpoints; one upgraded without trouble, the other not-so-much. Looks like the same scenario. When I try to do the recovery I run "./sp" which is followed by no messages (contrary to what the Restore docs suggest)... and soon the telnet session disconnects. LEDs don't indicate anything is happening. After a power cycle I can telnet in again. The restore hasn't run and Composer won't connect. Sound about right? Did you find a solution?

Thanks,

Mark

Send it in to Control4 for a repair. That's the easiest and least frustrating option. I had to do it on one of mine.

Thecodeman... thanks for your response. Did Control4 give you any idea WHAT was wrong with it (assuming you've experienced what I described)? I find it so bizarre that the device appears to be alive but just won't behave. I mean, it's "only" Linux! Or is this behavior actually the manifestation of a hardware issue?

Thecodeman... thanks for your response. Did Control4 give you any idea WHAT was wrong with it (assuming you've experienced what I described)? I find it so bizarre that the device appears to be alive but just won't behave. I mean, it's "only" Linux! Or is this behavior actually the manifestation of a hardware issue?

Mine was on 1.2.5 and wouldnt update. They have the ability to do a low-level reflash of the device and put it on the version you need. In the end, it was just easier for them to do it than to spend my time struggling with why it wouldnt work being "only linux". Which, btw, depending on the firmware of the device (pre or post 1.3.2) there are different flavors of linux with different functionality present. It's not a "standard" linux distro. In my case, the ability to mount USB storage wasn't present. I think it was like $90 shipped both ways out of warranty.

Speakerpoints also are finicky - just the nature of this particular beast. Mine's been working fine since they fixed it, even on 2.1.1

For the record, I only got my two Speakerpoints so that I could easily use them outdoors at Hallowe'en... I already have a pair of 16-channel amps plus matrix fully utilized. I was planning growls and owls out by the road, screams from the side of the house, and chains and chainsaws coming from the garage. I'll probably now move the screams into the garage and lose the chains and chainsaws...? No time to get the bad Speakerpoint fixed this year. :( But back to the point... no, I wouldn't normally recommend a Speakerpoint either. ='D

Archived