C4 Forums | Control4

Easiest way to connect electric towel radiators

codex

We're having electric towel radiators installed, but the wiring is already in place (mains voltage with an isolator switch outside the bathroom). What would be the easiest and cheapest way of connecting the rads up to control4? What extra hardware would be required and how easily could it be connected what space requirements would there be etc.

Cheers guys, considering the cost a simple timer may be the way to go. We have under floor heating throughout the house and just wanted some way of controlling the towel rads, which are electric. As you guessed, one bathroom is a guest bathroom, so rarely used, two are in the kids bathrooms, and ideally I didn't want them left on all day. Still, it'll take a fair bit of electricity to make my money back on 4 card access relays (though they do seem to be exactly what I asked for).

that device is cheaper than a HD relay. He already have switch in bathroom- this device replaces it with a scheduler and timer. It is so simple and you not need costly dealer job.

Not everyone is after the cheapest or "most sensible" thing you know. If we were, we probably wouldn't have Control4 systems. They're great, but "inexpensive" is not a word I'd use to describe them.

Anybody tried these?

http://www.simplehomenet.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Wireless_ZigBee_2-Relay_Controller

Thinking of using them myself to control some floor warming mesh laid below the tile in my shower, and a single exhaust fan in the attic that is ducted to 3 bathrooms and the shower. That way each of the light switches for the bathrooms and shower can also turn on the exhaust fan.

That would be a more sensible starting price. I did read a post from ryane that you can't just use any old zigbee hardware though. Might be worth getting in touch with the manufacturers though and asking for their zigbee specs and checking with control4 to see if they would work.

is there any reason you cannot just use a c4 light switch-- I have mine just wired to a standard light switch with a view ill update to c4 light switch when i get through the stuff ive got already...

It depends an the current requirement of the towel heaters and the and the amount of current the C4 switch will handle. If the heaters draw more current than the switch will handle then you have a problem. If I recall the switch can handle 10 amps.

is there any reason you cannot just use a c4 light switch-- I have mine just wired to a standard light switch with a view ill update to c4 light switch when i get through the stuff ive got already...

Yea that is a possibility, however I want the switches in the 3 bathrooms to be the same. If I did one switch, then 1 bathroom would have 2 switches(light and fan) while the others would have one(controls both light and fan). Consistent=Less confusing for guests/wifey.

Archived