C4 Forums | Control4

Higher Wattage Switch Solution?

jeffreyaallen

I'm designing a garage and covered porch, and the architect spec'ed single lighting circuits that are going to be much higher wattage than any single C4 product supports. If I don't want to break up the circuits and run them separately, how can I spec this? Is there some sort of relay I can control with a C4 switch and let that relay handle the the physical switching of the lighting load?

Also where I do have separate circuits in a new construction application, has anyone found a good way to get extra cooling for the C4 dimmers? I've thought of putting each switch in it's own box and spreading them out on the wall a bit... Seems ugly, but I lose so much capacity when I gang them up... I also Googled electrical boxes with fans or other cooling systems, but didn't find anything. Thoughts?

Looks like that will do the job. Now the question is whether this thing @ around $350 is a better solution than buying the additional copper to split each of these loads out onto two separate circuits and putting in two C4 switches or dimmers @ $129/each... (2) circuits gives me some additional flexibility for scene design. Cost-wise, it's probably about the same.

• 1 month later...

You could just use a regular C4 switch/dimmer in combination with a relay that meets your voltage requirements. You will have to put the relay in it's own box as there will not be much room for the switched and the relay in just 1 box. This is what I did for my whole-house Attic fan - I used a single relay bit you can get single, double, triple, etc. to meet your needs.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived