C4 Forums | Control4

Touch Screens

tbear1

The Infinity Edge Touch Screens are the current models of wall mount touch screens. Are any of the former designs fully compatible with the latest software? There are a lot of open box panels on ebay, but what are the drawbacks?

Thanks.

It would really be nice if some of the existing touch panels, like the 7" and 10" touchpanels, could support the intercom feature.

Can anyone explain, technically, why they don't?

I know that control4 would like to sell more hardware along with the intercom licenses, but it seems a shame to force every existing touch panel to buy an infinity edge to get intercom capability.

The main reason the last generation of 7" touchscreens doesn't support it is that they don't have sufficient hardware resources. The 7" in-wall (non-infinityEdge) doesn't even have a 'viable' speaker / mic (too small, not located well).

The 7" portable does have a mic and speaker, but doesn't have enough processing power to do it reliably (besides the known wi-fi issues).

The 10" I assume doesn't do it because it's somewhat of a 'dead' platform. i.e. we don't sell 'em, and the fact that the Flash UI runs on it doesn't necessarily make sense to port the intercom code to it.

These are just my opinions, as I'm not on the product engineering team, and haven't asked about it myself.

RyanE

Thanks for the opinion, Ryan. You actually read my mind: I was thinking that since the 10"v2 touchscreens had the hardware resources to run the Flash Navigator UI, then perhaps they had the resources to run the intercom code as well.

As someone who owns 10"V2 touchscreens, I would dearly love for them to be able to support the intercom feature. Alas, it looks like I'm stuck.

Thanks for the comments though.

Thanks for the opinion, Ryan. You actually read my mind: I was thinking that since the 10"v2 touchscreens had the hardware resources to run the Flash Navigator UI, then perhaps they had the resources to run the intercom code as well.

As someone who owns 10"V2 touchscreens, I would dearly love for them to be able to support the intercom feature. Alas, it looks like I'm stuck.

Thanks for the comments though.

I've had that hope for 5 years....last year it was finally confirmed it would never come true. :(

Archived