C4 Forums | Control4

Hidden ZigBee switch to place on a load

BrettB0727

I know Control4 doesn't make anything like this, but I was wondering if anyone made some kind of hardware that was small and could be placed on a load to function as a Zigbee switch of sorts. Similar to a Control4 wall switch, but it doesn't need a functioning mechanical switch since it would be hidden, perhaps in a wall or somewhere else.

The 'National Electric Code' says any wire junction box (includes a switch box) must not be buried in a wall or inaccessible. But that is not to say you have to have it in an obvious place in the room. You can put the switch in the garage or even a closet.

I know Control4 doesn't make anything like this, but I was wondering if anyone made some kind of hardware that was small and could be placed on a load to function as a Zigbee switch of sorts. Similar to a Control4 wall switch, but it doesn't need a functioning mechanical switch since it would be hidden, perhaps in a wall or somewhere else.

They manufacture this exact product (an inline dimmer) and offer it for sale in countries other than the US.

In the US, as pointed out above, everything has to be accessible, and in a serviceable box. That means no product like this for us =(

I know Control4 doesn't make anything like this' date=' but I was wondering if anyone made some kind of hardware that was small and could be placed on a load to function as a Zigbee switch of sorts. Similar to a Control4 wall switch, but it doesn't need a functioning mechanical switch since it would be hidden, perhaps in a wall or somewhere else.[/quote']

They manufacture this exact product (an inline dimmer) and offer it for sale in countries other than the US.

In the US, as pointed out above, everything has to be accessible, and in a serviceable box. That means no product like this for us =(

Ahh that is precisely what I am looking for. Is that why we have the bulky outlet switches and dimmers?

It would be so great to get rid of the extra prongs and sockets and put an the inline dimmer directly behind AC power outlets. Or swap out the remote receiver units on my ceiling fans. I can think of plenty of other good uses.

I am definitely not a certified electrician, would putting something like this in a crawl space either in an attic or under the house, still be too "inaccessible"? Also, what about in a ceiling fan?

Thanks for all the great info.

I know Control4 doesn't make anything like this' date=' but I was wondering if anyone made some kind of hardware that was small and could be placed on a load to function as a Zigbee switch of sorts. Similar to a Control4 wall switch, but it doesn't need a functioning mechanical switch since it would be hidden, perhaps in a wall or somewhere else.[/quote']

Ahh that is precisely what I am looking for. Is that why we have the bulky outlet switches and dimmers?

It would be so great to get rid of the extra prongs and sockets and put an the inline dimmer directly behind AC power outlets. Or swap out the remote receiver units on my ceiling fans. I can think of plenty of other good uses.

I am definitely not a certified electrician, would putting something like this in a crawl space either in an attic or under the house, still be too "inaccessible"? Also, what about in a ceiling fan?

Thanks for all the great info.

Get in touch with a building inspector in your area.

I know that here putting it in an attic or crawl space is a no-no.

You can put it in a attic or crawlspace. There are usually outlet boxes in attics for HVAC systems, and junctions all over the place for branch circuits. The idea is that is has to be serviceable. I have one junction that ended up behind a cabinet, so we put an extension box to bring it through the backside of the cabinet, and the blank cover allows it to be serviced. Nothing special for crawlspaces unless water is an issue.

Each town or county will adopt the NEC as law, but they can go above any beyond for local conditions, so yea, like he said, check with the local inspector. However I can't imagine a town allowing exceptions to the NEC. That flies in the face of the insurance companies, and puts liability on the town.

Don't forget, we have these laws for good reason. I for one enjoy that fact that houses are not burning down on my street.

Archived