C4 Forums | Control4

How to use POWER_STATE variable to track non-discrete Power ON/OFF?

Hi all... I'm wondering how/if I can use the POWER_STATE variable to properly track the Power Toggle of my SA 8300HD Cable Box? I tried the Video Sensing inputs but it doesn't seem to work properly with the 8300HD.

Appreciate any help one could offer. :)

Well I guess "turn off" as is relates to this device is open for debate. Obviously it does toggle on and off and alters it's voltage/current appropriately. At the same time, in the off state, it is in a "standby" state that still allows itself to record shows, keep time, etc...

You can't keep it "on" perpetually either, because Cablevision shut's off the device at 1:30am every night if no user input is detected.

I also have my TV utilizing the 8300HD's switched outlet. So my TV goes on and off with the cablebox.

Having programmed other manufacturers remotes before, their use of variables (specifically with URC's MX-3000 and the like), was used almost predominantly to track the Power state of IR devices. And it did so quite well and with little effort. I have to presume that my new Control4 system is capable of such a feeble task? ;)

Spent quite some time on the phone with Control4 Tech Support yesterday in regards to this issue. There apparently is no real good way to utilize the POWER_STATE variable as it relate to power tracking for the SA 8300HD.

Our work around was to enable the "Power + Numeric" option in the settings menu of the cablebox; then we edited the driver to use Power ON/OFF macros using "0" for ON and the Power Toggle for Off. By no means is this "discreet" or flawless.... but so far, it's working pretty well.... or as well as can be expected. Hope this may help someone else in a similar situation.

Archived