C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Touchscreen vs. Ipad2

jjones

Hi,

Newbie question...so apologizes in advance if obvious... have searched the forums but have not been able to piece together a forum conclusion/recommendation here.

With the continued market dominance of the ipad 2 - and based on its lot lower price and vastly better and ever increasing functionality of apps/features - it appears to be a lot better option to embed this (installed with the C4 app) rather than go for a C4 touchscreen. (Good example of how to do this is if you search for mykitchenipad on youtube). Appreciate this means you have fixed in your ipad (but we would have another ipad for roaming in the home anyway)

What's peoples thoughts here ?

Is there any capabilities that the C4 App Ipad App does not have compared to the touchscreens ?

Thanks in advance....

Jim

I prefer C4 touchpanels. I have told why is countless posts here, but the two things it really comes down to are:

-the iPad not running the actual GUI

-having to launch the Control4 app

I have touchpanels in key areas around the house. They're always on, they're ready to go, and there is not one second of delay.

The "old" technology but still selling portable touchscreens are junk, not worth a dime.

I disagree.

Furthermore, if you have any, I'd love to buy them. I will pay considerably higher than their "value".

My favorites are the portables.

Every dealer and customer that I know has stopped recommending the portables. Pick one up and compare it to an iPad.

The wifi antenna is horrible (constantly losing its connection), its large in size and considerable heavy (think large Atari), battery life is horrible (4 hours best), costs 2x more than a tablet, and most importantly only does one thing (connect to C4 vs. iPad which does 1million tasks), albeit mediocre at that.

The "old" technology but still selling portable touchscreens are junk' date=' not worth a dime.[/quote']

I disagree.

Furthermore, if you have any, I'd love to buy them. I will pay considerably higher than their "value".

My favorites are the portables.

This guy has one for sale :lol:

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=8609

I have a combination of 10.5" and 7" portables, as well as in-wall Infinity Edge units. A room in the house was re-purposed and it didn't make sense to have the touchpanel in the new room, therefore that was an extra.

It's now being used out in the backyard. I love them.

Every dealer and customer that I know has stopped recommending the portables. Pick one up and compare it to an iPad.

The wifi antenna is horrible (constantly losing its connection), its large in size and considerable heavy (think large Atari), battery life is horrible (4 hours best), costs 2x more than a tablet, and most importantly only does one thing (connect to C4 vs. iPad which does 1million tasks), albeit mediocre at that.

Then enjoy your iPad. Tablets have their purpose, we have two in the house. They run the full flash nav, not the canned iPad app and I STILL prefer the touchpanels to the tablets.

To each his/her own.

I prefer C4 touchpanels. I have told why is countless posts here, but the two things it really comes down to are:

I have touchpanels in key areas around the house. They're always on, they're ready to go, and there is not one second of delay.

You don't need to launch the C4 app at all if using dedicated mode, as it will stay running.

I prefer C4 touchpanels. I have told why is countless posts here' date=' but the two things it really comes down to are:

I have touchpanels in key areas around the house. They're always on, they're ready to go, and there is not one second of delay.[/quote']

You don't need to launch the C4 app at all if using dedicated mode, as it will stay running.

Right...the canned GUI not the real Control4 interface.

If you like the iPad better then use it. The OP wanted opinions so I gave him mine. I don't need to argue with you guys.

I will give you guys this, which is a perspective I had not thought of. If you have budget for one item, you're torn between the two, and if you buy one you won't have the $$$ for the other, then yes...the iPad probably makes more sense.

That said, I'm sitting my chair typing this on a tablet (which runs the C4 flash GUI) and sitting on the chair next to me is a 7 inch portable touchpanel. I'm using it to control the A/V in the room while I toy around on the tablet.

I prefer C4 touchpanels. I have told why is countless posts here' date=' but the two things it really comes down to are:

I have touchpanels in key areas around the house. They're always on, they're ready to go, and there is not one second of delay.[/quote']

If you like the iPad better then use it. The OP wanted opinions so I gave him mine. I don't need to argue with you guys.

Wasn't arguing with you at all, simply correcting a comment for the benefit of the original poster. I own both multiple touch screens and multiple iPads. Each one has their merits.

You don't need to launch the C4 app at all if using dedicated mode' date=' as it will stay running.[/quote']

Wasn't arguing with you at all, simply correcting a comment for the benefit of the original poster. I own both multiple touch screens and multiple iPads. Each one has their merits.

Where do you guys get the cash for these things. Mulitple touch screens - flip, I am trying to scratch pennies together to get one.

Wasn't arguing with you at all' date=' simply correcting a comment for the benefit of the original poster. [b']I own both multiple touch screens and multiple iPads. Each one has their merits.

Where do you guys get the cash for these things. Mulitple touch screens - flip, I am trying to scratch pennies together to get one.

I borrow money from dgbrown...

This forum is really growing on me with all the good back and forth.:D

So now accept its divided on what people prefer - down to preference and budget I guess.

So for me the only other question is what, if any functionality, is missing from the ipad app that is available on the C4 touchscreens ?

jim

So now accept its divided on what people prefer - down to preference and budget I guess.

So for me the only other question is what, if any functionality, is missing from the ipad app that is available on the C4 touchscreens ?

jim

A lot of 4store apps :cool:

jim

Let me throw my thought into the mix.....

Love the TP! However I have a large music library and like the scrolling on the iPad or iPhone far better than the TP.

although they are the same "design" on screen, the iPad seems to have much smoother scrolling.

jim

You cannot have pop-ups or announcements take place on the iPad. These are big around my house.

I have it setup so I can send "my house" an email, and the body of the email pops up on the touchpanels...a very easy way to get a message to the family while I'm away.

You can't do that on the other displays.

And, believe it or not, there are a few useful apps, and I think there will be more. Those are not available to the iPad.

So apart from the pop-ups the ipad app has all the other features of the C4 touchscreen ?

No. I don't own an iPad anymore so I don't have the app, but it runs a canned UI, not the dynamic/customizable FLASH UI.

I cannot speak to all the differences at this point, but I can tell you they extend farther than what is mentioned in this thread.

Archived