C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Touchscreen vs. Ipad2

jjones

Here's an example of another task that cannot be performed on the iPad: http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?pid=71722#p71722

Dan, I feel like I'm calling you out here, which isn't my intention, so if it seems that way I apologize... but that's not entirely true (ok, you can't do 4:24am, but you could do 4:25am or other 5-minute intervals).

I have a wakeup agent that I set with my iPad to come on each day as an alarm clock, ramping up my lights to a predefined level, and turning on my Sonos to a favourite radio station, gradually increasing the volume over a 10 minute period.

Wakeup agents are under the Comfort menu in the iPad app.

Aside from 4Store apps, the fixed GUI on the iPad offers the majority of the functionality the dedicated interface does, in my opinion. I will say that extra drivers, like the EV ones I've used are slightly more pleasing to the eye under the native interface, though.

I have 7" Infinity screens in areas where a fixed panel suits best, and iPads where I'd like portability, tablet functionality and a larger screen. As I eluded to before, my opinion only.

If you had an ipad and a touchscreen sitting side by side, most people will grab the iPad 95% of the time.

Why? Because you can do more things with it. Email, Internet, C4, Directv, etc.

Use it as a cookbook. Take it with you on a trip, watch movies on it, etc.

If you were to buy one device, a tablet rules over the TP.

Here's an example of another task that cannot be performed on the iPad: http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?pid=71722#p71722

Dan' date=' I feel like I'm calling you out here, which isn't my intention, so if it seems that way I apologize... but that's not entirely true (ok, you can't do 4:24am, but you could do 4:25am or other 5-minute intervals).

I have a wakeup agent that I set with my iPad to come on each day as an alarm clock, ramping up my lights to a predefined level, and turning on my Sonos to a favourite radio station, gradually increasing the volume over a 10 minute period.

Wakeup agents are under the Comfort menu in the iPad app.

Aside from 4Store apps, the fixed GUI on the iPad offers the majority of the functionality the dedicated interface does, in my opinion. I will say that extra drivers, like the EV ones I've used are slightly more pleasing to the eye under the native interface, though.

I have 7" Infinity screens in areas where a fixed panel suits best, and iPads where I'd like portability, tablet functionality and a larger screen. As I eluded to before, my opinion only.[/quote']

That's great that you can utilize the wakeup agent on the iPad. I (obviously) didn't think that was the case.

If you had an ipad and a touchscreen sitting side by side, most people will grab the iPad 95% of the time.

Why? Because you can do more things with it. Email, Internet, C4, Directv, etc.

Use it as a cookbook. Take it with you on a trip, watch movies on it, etc.

If you were to buy one device, a tablet rules over the TP.

Agreed. If you could only buy ONE device, that tablet would be the item to buy. However, if you have the resources to have both, in my opinion the touchpanel is better for using to control the house.

That's all. Unless the OP has a question for me directly I'm out on this thread. Don't need to argue with this guy all day =)

Let me throw my thought into the mix.....

Love the TP! However I have a large music library and like the scrolling on the iPad or iPhone far better than the TP.

although they are the same "design" on screen, the iPad seems to have much smoother scrolling.

I don't own a c4 touchpanel but I'm sure Ipads and Iphones have more powerful processors. I know my Iphone has a better processor than what's in the HC300B. They have a habit of under powering or making something with just enough processing power or memory (V2 remotes) to work and that's it. Then when there's a update - sorry, you now need a HC1000 for the system to be useable again or all new remotes $$$$ :) Good for business, bad for PR.

C4 doesn't like to release hardware specs for some reason. :cool:

Please anyone that has a C4 TP - log in and run this command

cat /proc/cpuinfo

If C4's touchpanels are so great lets see a comparison to the much cheaper Ipad.

xc420, I'm happy to do that as I am curious what processor is in the unit. I'm sure it's along the lines of what you're imagining.

Where would I run that command? Do I "telnet" into the device? Never tried to do anything like that with a touchpanel.

Let's think about economies of scale, and that's all I will say.

C4 can hope to sell thousands of controllers.

Apple can sell millions of iproducts.

If I have to build 20 of something, its going to be more expensive to build than it is to buy in bulk and build millions of them.

Also, apple designs their own hardware and software. C4 from my observation writes their own code and chooses a design that best meets their intrests, budget, and sales forecasts.

I have seen our product line improve from the (IMO terrible) 3.5" Mini touch screen to the (IMO awesome in comparison) 7" infinity edge.

HA is still niche, much like "smartphones" were when symbian, blackberry, and Windows Mobile were the only options.

Just one observation.

Thanks for all the discussion - heavily leaning to going with the ipad option.

My personal reasoning here is that it gives me circa 99% of the C4 controls, as I am working on a budget comes in at a lot lower cost - plus I get all the additional functionality that the ipad gives me. (Also the scope for expansion of overall end user additional functionality is broader for me - with the additional ipad apps, new capabilities with apples next version of IOS and what would appear as a strong commitment and/or faster rollout of release updates).

....Now to through somewhat a curve ball into the mix (and please don't reopen the debate of go for a TP based on personal preference or go nuts)..:P

I am going to use the ipad in an embedded manner, works for my home set-up (have a search on youtube for mykitchenipad to see an example) and also means I can put in place video output mirroring to my HDTV nearby.

Also have a separate ipad for mobile use in the home as well.

Does the C4 Ipad app provide the "intercom" facility, so I could use it between the two ipads ?

jim

Does the C4 Ipad app provide the "intercom" facility' date=' so I could use it between the two ipads ?[/quote']

Facetime?

Deliberately was asking about if the C4 Ipad app could use the intercom facility (using between ipads was properly a poor example...all though one possible use) as would have liked to use the C4 intercom off the app to a door entry system....:D

Does the C4 Ipad app provide the "intercom" facility' date=' so I could use it between the two ipads ?[/quote']

Facetime?

Deliberately was asking about if the C4 Ipad app could use the intercom facility (using between ipads was properly a poor example...all though one possible use) as would have liked to use the C4 intercom off the app to a door entry system....:D

No, the iPad doesn't support the intercom in C4. Only InfinityEdge touchscreens at this time.

Here is a new twist on this argument.

My 2 year old can pick up our iPad, unlock the home screen and navigate to her page (where we have put her games), selects what game she wants to play, and is off and running.

It's intuitive to operate.

Here is a new twist on this argument.

My 2 year old can pick up our iPad, unlock the home screen and navigate to her page (where we have put her games), selects what game she wants to play, and is off and running.

It's intuitive to operate.

Yeah, it's crazy. My two 3 year old boys (10 months apart...one just turned 3 and the other not yet 4) know how to use our Xooms and or Android phones. One of them actually changes the wallpaper on my wifes phone for her everyday. They love Grandma & Grandpas iPads as well.

They also know how to use the Control4 touch panels to control the lights, select their music and adjust the volume. Man, I wish I had this cool stuff when I was a kid.

Archived