C4 Forums | Control4

iPort integration

waynechi

I have a few questions about iPort integration that I couldn't answer conclusively from material that I could find here and elsewhere on the web:

1) Does interfacing an iPort to a C4 allow "live" 2-way control over the iPod? In other words, if I walked up to an empty iPort connected to my system and dropped in a friends iPod, how long would it be until I could read all of the tracks through the C4 interface and how long until I could play something? ("Instantly" is the right answer here.) I know if I simply connected an iPod through USB it can take days for all the music to be found an indexed, but I assume iPort uses the iPods indexing.

2) What does the C4 interface look like on a touchscreen? Like browsing digital audio but without art, or some different iPod interface?

3) How does an iPort connect to C4? Cat5? What are the minimum hookups? Cat5 + AC power? I assume POE isnt there yet.

Thanks...

I have a few questions about iPort integration that I couldn't answer conclusively from material that I could find here and elsewhere on the web:

1) Does interfacing an iPort to a C4 allow "live" 2-way control over the iPod? In other words, if I walked up to an empty iPort connected to my system and dropped in a friends iPod, how long would it be until I could read all of the tracks through the C4 interface and how long until I could play something? ("Instantly" is the right answer here.) I know if I simply connected an iPod through USB it can take days for all the music to be found an indexed, but I assume iPort uses the iPods indexing.

2) What does the C4 interface look like on a touchscreen? Like browsing digital audio but without art, or some different iPod interface?

3) How does an iPort connect to C4? Cat5? What are the minimum hookups? Cat5 + AC power? I assume POE isnt there yet.

Thanks...

iPort C4 driver is still in beta and this is what I know:

1) C4 with iPort does not scan the iPod like usb connection, and should show up in the Navigator quickly because there is no media scanning.

2) It uses a similar interface to the iPod screen. No iPod video or album cover art support. Switch between a menu and now playing screen. Current beta only allows you to see info with Navigator and touch screens. Remote and LCD keypad will be upgraded at a later release.

3) iPort versions 4 and 5 are supported with RS232 connection. See iPort website and download manual to see how to install iPort. http://www.iportmusic.com/ Connect iPort RS232 and analog audio to the C4 HTC or MC.

Archived