C4 Forums | Control4

New Construction - Security, Cameras, Audio & Video - Recommendations?

msu

Thanks Guys!

I decided to go with the ReadyNAS Ultra 6 plus storage with iSCSI. It has all the same specifications as the ultra pro professional minus the lockable bays.

It's not rackable but it is hundreds cheaper than the lowest cost ReadyNAS rack system.

So, can you guys tell me then - with the ReadyNAS server and the multiple blu-ray players I already own is there any reason to get the Dune HD Max over the entry level D1 or B1 even?

I'm thinking that all I will need basically is a decoder to play the media since the storage and blu-ray are solved elsewhere in the system but I am not sure.

By the way - I am targeting the business towards James as well. However, I may just have the integrator I choose work directly with him. :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, can you guys tell me then - with the ReadyNAS server and the multiple blu-ray players I already own is there any reason to get the Dune HD Max over the entry level D1 or B1 even?

I'm thinking that all I will need basically is a decoder to play the media since the storage and blu-ray are solved elsewhere in the system but I am not sure.

That's pretty much it.

Ok, so I think I understand finally!

So, I was thinking further - if I implement the dunes at the TV directly then I would be able to transfer the video over the cat6 directly into the dune and out to the TV correct? No baluns required correct?

That would also reduce the demand on the video matrix switch as well.

Does anyone make a smaller C4 compatible video matrix switch?

Lastly, I was looking at the Legrand studio series keypads

http://www.legrand.us/onq/music/multi-room-audio-equipment/studio-lyriq/au5010-wh.aspx

If the C4 has the ability to learn commands is there any reason I could not implement this in each room with audio and remove the need for the C4 Amplifiers?

Since the keypads have their own built in class d amplifiers this seems logical to me.

Granted, I would need POE injection to power them but the cost seems better than purchasing an 8 zone + 4 zone amplifier.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Keep in mind that if you put then at the TV locations instead of in the matrix switch, you can't "share" them. For example, if you want the same thing playing on 3 TV's...you couldn't do that using the Dune's without the use of a matrix switch.

I don't have experience with that particular OnQ product, but I know the Control4 amps rock. The integration is obviously seamless, and they work flawlessly.

Keep in mind that if you put then at the TV locations instead of in the matrix switch, you can't "share" them. For example, if you want the same thing playing on 3 TV's...you couldn't do that using the Dune's without the use of a matrix switch.

I don't have experience with that particular OnQ product, but I know the Control4 amps rock. The integration is obviously seamless, and they work flawlessly.

Dan,

Thanks again!

That's a good point. I will have to ponder on that one for a while.

The OnQ looked good because it cuts costs significantly while providing integration to the whole system and adding a in room volume control.

In the end, I will probably wind up going with the C4 solution but maybe try it in one room to see how it works out.

My personal thoughts were that if it worked it would potentially be a good option to offer customers who want the whole house audio feature but cannot afford the C4 amplifier solution. Even though I'm not a dealer I am still thinking about my system and the benefits it would bring to everyone. :)

Beyond that, what are your thoughts on implementing an HDMI matrix switch versus the C4 component video matrix switch?

I see monoprice has a low cost HDMI matrix switch and there are drivers on here but I'm not sure if it works seamlessly within C4 system?

One thing I noticed about that OnQ was 20w per channel.

The c4 amps are rated at 60wpc/8 ohm, 120wpc /4 ohm for the 4 zone, and 120wpc/8 ohm, 220wpc /4 ohm for the 8 zone respectively.

Totally different animals, I know - since you cant power the C4 amp with PoE.

One thing I noticed about that OnQ was 20w per channel.

The c4 amps are rated at 60wpc/8 ohm, 120wpc /4 ohm for the 4 zone, and 120wpc/8 ohm, 220wpc /4 ohm for the 8 zone respectively.

Totally different animals, I know - since you cant power the C4 amp with PoE.

I did see that.

The issue I see is that they don't mention THD at all. Anyone can rate their amplification as super high wattage but the real measure of performance vs. power is THD%.

I don't see it for the OnQ and I have not seen it for the C4 either.

Depending on your intentions with the music the 20w may be ok but that's just speculation until someone actually tests it out. :)

I may have one thrown in just to try it. I'll see how it goes with the quoting.

Any thoughts about the HDMI matrix switch versus the C4 component matrix switch?

Is there any issues with digitally signing the HDMI over the network / matrix?

holy crap batman!

Yes, they all quoted me the Sony Component Switch.

That's great, yet another thing I have to inform all 3 integrators of.

So, what about the mono price switch.

Either of you two have any experience with it?

It seems like people like it but it doesn't really say if it integrates well or not?

BTW - Thank you for letting me know about the Sony switch!

holy crap batman!

It seems like people like it but it doesn't really say if it integrates well or not?

They probably have the Sony switch in stock. Just because it's discontinued doesn't mean it won't work.

holy crap batman!

I use a Shinybow switch, I don't have any personal experience with any monoprice matrix switches.

Thanks again guys.

How does the cost of the shinybow compare with the original Sony matrix switch?

Any issues with integration?

Cheaper, and works great. You can find matrix switch that are super cheap, and super expensive.

I think my switch was about $2k?

Are there c4 drivers for shiny bow?

Also, do they have a model which extends HDMI over cat5?

There are drivers for the Shinybow switches...RS232 drivers.

I don't think they have a model that outputs over twisted pair. You can check them out at www.shinyboyusa.com. I've been real happy when them. I have had two of their switches.

I did see the SB-5688 for around $3,000 but I don't see any C4 certification or mention of drivers.

Is there a site that has them or is this something the integrator will have to setup with Composer?

BTW Dan, I sent you an email about that Android program you have.... just curious about it. :)

Also' date=' do they have a model which extends HDMI over cat5?[/quote']

I don't think they have a model that outputs over twisted pair. You can check them out at www.shinyboyusa.com. I've been real happy when them. I have had two of their switches.

Wow, responding to my question while I was typing the question! :)

So, (because I'm a newbie) when you say not over "twisted pair" does that mean it wouldn't work with a Cat-6 cable and a HDMI balun?

Also' date=' do they have a model which extends HDMI over cat5?[/quote']

Wow, responding to my question while I was typing the question! :)

So, (because I'm a newbie) when you say not over "twisted pair" does that mean it wouldn't work with a Cat-6 cable and a HDMI balun?

I just mean that the outputs are traditional RCA style outputs. Some output directly over twisted pair (IE: Cat cable). You can always run a traditional cable into a balun, and run it over cat cable. They do have a component switch that outputs directly over two twisted pair (cat cable), then you just have a receiving balun on the other end.

Wow' date=' responding to my question while I was typing the question! :)

So, (because I'm a newbie) when you say not over "twisted pair" does that mean it wouldn't work with a Cat-6 cable and a HDMI balun?[/quote']

I just mean that the outputs are traditional RCA style outputs. Some output directly over twisted pair (IE: Cat cable). You can always run a traditional cable into a balun, and run it over cat cable. They do have a component switch that outputs directly over two twisted pair (cat cable), then you just have a receiving balun on the other end.

Oh, the one I saw had hdmi in's and hdmi outs - the normal hdmi plugs. That's why I was confused.

It sounds like we were talking about two different models. :)

Do you know where the drivers are located? I tried searching "shinybow" in the file library but it did not return any results.

I did see the SB-5688 for around $3,000 but I don't see any C4 certification or mention of drivers.

Is there a site that has them or is this something the integrator will have to setup with Composer?

Here you go.

http://control4.com/partner/drivers/

While that particular model isn't listed, it's extremely likely you can use the driver for another model with the same inputs and outputs.

I did see the SB-5688 for around $3' date='000 but I don't see any C4 certification or mention of drivers.

Is there a site that has them or is this something the integrator will have to setup with Composer?[/quote']

Here you go.

http://control4.com/partner/drivers/

While that particular model isn't listed, it's extremely likely you can use the driver for another model with the same inputs and outputs.

Thanks!

I was looking here in the forums, i had no clue about the existence of that portion of the main site!

That's frickin amazing man! (not sure what movie I heard that in)

Wow, I think that I am now pretty much in a place where I totally understand everything (kinda scary)!

Unless you guys know anything about third party intercoms that I can integrate?

M & S?

Unless you guys know anything about third party intercoms that I can integrate?

M & S?

None, but I just did a demo yesterday with the Control4 intercom on the InfinityEdge touchscreens and it was pretty cool. I was surprised how sensitive the microphone was. It picked up "normal conversation" about 10-15' away from the panel.

If you dont want to go that route, then you can have a standalone intercom system.

Thanks guys!

I think i'll just go with the M & S for now. Maybe I can figure out how to integrate it. :)

The infinity edges are way beyond expensive so I can't justify doing the 8+ locations that I am looking to have them in for that kind of pricing.

I'm suppose to have final quotes today to review and decide.

Thanks for all the help!

I'll be sure to come back and post if I misunderstand something else! lol

Have a great weekend!

Archived