C4 Forums | Control4

Uverse

Ringold

IR control is pretty crummy. Best way to get it to work is use the IR shields and hot glue as they dont like to stick and are real prone to ir interference (emitting a code and nothing happens unless the shield is used).

Why are you thinking of switching? I have U-Verse in one house and DirecTV in the other. DirecTV HD quality is often nothing to write home about, but it's generally quite better than U-Verse. And that's with watching U-Verse on a 60" diag plasma while watching DirecTV on 8' wide SI screen. Both are displays ar 1080p-capable and viewing distance is similar so the fact that DirecTV is perceivably better is significant.

The U-Verse is not at the Control4-equipped house, so I can't speak to that. But HD quality is relatively poor.

I have Uverse and I am really happy with it. We changed from Comcast about a year ago and couldn't be happier. I haven't not had a single problem with the IR control. I had to create the IR driver but it works great. Also, I haven't had any problems with the IR emitters. I have three Uverse boxes (1 is a DVR) and all three are connected to a either a HC-300 or and HC-200. Haven't had a single one fall off or cause any problems. I have a 55" plasma and I am pretty happy with the HD quality. The other TVs in the house are nothing to write about so the quality does suffer on those.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I am mostly interested in getting the uverse modem as I am currently on DSL and understand that uverse is about 10 times faster. Just thinking a package including tv may be cheaper. Thanks for the replies!

I am mostly interested in getting the uverse modem as I am currently on DSL and understand that uverse is about 10 times faster. Just thinking a package including tv may be cheaper. Thanks for the replies!

That's a different thing. I'm very happy with the U-Verse Internet access. I have the 12Mpbs package and the up/down speeds per speedtest.net consistently match the advertised rates. I don't remember the package savings being very significant after the short-lived "new customer" discount expired.

• 11 months later...

OK, so how do you configure a uverse modem to only be a "gateway?" I assume I will need to "bridge" my uverse modem so my router can manage my home network and c4 products. This is what i currently do with my DSL.

I have read online that you can not "bridge" a uverse modem.

So, how are you guys that are using a uverse modem configuring the uverse so it is only a modem, and allow your router to do the rest of the work????

OK, so how do you configure a uverse modem to only be a "gateway?" I assume I will need to "bridge" my uverse modem so my router can manage my home network and c4 products. This is what i currently do with my DSL.

I have read online that you can not "bridge" a uverse modem.

So, how are you guys that are using a uverse modem configuring the uverse so it is only a modem, and allow your router to do the rest of the work????

Why wouldn't you just let the UVerse Router do the work? I have the 3801HGV Gateway from UVerse that works fine. You just need to add a switch large enough to handle all of your wired connections. I run a Netgear GS748TP.

I've got a netgear router that works great. I've got several devices that need static IP addresses, and have read that at least the Motorola uverse doesnt allow for that. In general, there is a lot of chatter online about how poor the router functionality is on the uverse products.

Overall, just a lot of uncertainty regarding the UVERSE modem....why can't the device just be used as a modem only???????

Is anyone on this forum using the uverse as a modem only??????If so, what are the settings to do so.

I will try to explain the way I have mine set up, but I'm not sure I can be much help. I have a windows server that is my DHCP server. I use the uverse router and a netgear switch. The windows server sets the static ip addresses for all of my control4 gear as well as my computers and uverse boxes and dvr. The modem is set up in DMZ mode. Hope that helps a little.

Connect to the uverse router/modem at 192.168.1.254

Select-settings->firewall->applications

Allow all applications(DMZPlus mode)

Worked for me when i set it up. (instructions are in ons of the comments from thecodeman's link.)

Thanks for info. Why do you not have UVERSE anymore??? Even after setting up in DMZ mode, you had problems with the UVERSE modem???

(I currently have DSL which is very slow....I am considering switching to UVERSE for faster speed, but am researching now just to make sure it will work)

I didn't like the uVerse TV interface compared to directv (why cant you hide SD duplicates of channels you subscribe to in HD? There were no apps for tablets/phones either at the time), and the speeds/price for internet. So I switched to TWC for Internet and DirecTV for TV.

Just personal preference. I have family and friends that have uVerse and they are happy with it.

Archived