C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 and Sensors

mridixon

Watching the C4 promotional DVD I saw that a sensor was placed in the garage and when a vehicle entered the garage, lights came on inside the house. Can any sensor work with control 4? How? There is no lisiting for a sensor in the product area!

and/or a sensor on the garage door or a standalone motion sensor, tied to either a Contact/Relay Extender, or wired back to the Media Controller, or attached to a CardAccess InHome Wireless Contact Switch.

or as slemay said, an alarm sensor being dual-purposed to privde inputs into the automation system.

All will work.

RyanE

RyanE,

Let say you want to use CardAccess Inhome on an interior door that when opened always turns on the light and when closed always turns it off with no delay. What kind of delay can you expect when opening the door before the light comes on?

Thanks.

The CardAccess Inhome wireless contact transmits on Zigbee as soon as the state changes. It's pretty quick.

As to how long it'll be before the light turns on, there are a lot of factors that play into it.

If you're using a motion sensor, there's some delay in just sensing the motion. Then you have a little delay from the zigbee transmission getting to the controller, a small delay depending on how loaded your controller is, and then another zigbee delay getting back out to your dimmer.

It's still pretty fast. The only way you'll know in your exact location and with your exact project is to do it. I don't have anything other than motion sensors triggering my lighting right now, and the delay is acceptable. Of course, I also trigger more than one light when the motion sensors trip, which is not what you're talking about here.

RyanE

Thanks for the info. I was going to use it on a pantry door and just use the Inhome Contact Sensor to signal when the door opened, no motion for this application. If the delay of turning on the light is within 1 second, i would think that would be sufficient. From your explanation it sounds like it is a possibility. I know it is an expensive way to turn a light on and off, but the light is left on by someone in the family including me every day. Will it pay for itself, of course not but I can take pride in knowing I am saving energy! :)

That is not a bad idea, usually don't have a problem touching dimmer to turn it on. I guess if there is too much delay in turning it on with InHome then I will move that to the garage for garage status/control which I plan to do as well.

Thanks for the tip. Since I don't have Control4 at all yet, did not think about that option!

Archived