C4 Forums | Control4

Does anyone know wattage of the following control4 products for a UPS

mhwolog

Hi does anyone know the power consumption in watts for the following products? I'm trying to work out what wattage ups I need to filter the power supply.

They are control4 products:

Home controller 200 x 2

4 zone amp

Audio matrix switch

Media player x 2

Plus I can't find the info for:

Sharp bluray bd-hp22

Me design video matrix switcher tp810

Sangean wft-1d plus

My two amps alone are rated at 600w and 670w so I think I am looking at at least a 2000va or 3000va. I found an eaton e series 2000va 1200w for about $309 so i maybe better off getting two of these, as there seems to be a big price jump to 3000va. What do you think? Any help is greatly appreciated.

It is not common to put amps on a UPS. I also would not bother with the C4 amp or the audio matrix or media player. If the power is out how would you use them?

I would put the C4 controllers and any network gear on a UPS and use a good surge protector on the remaining equipment.

Home Controller HC-200 169ma 20 watts, 68.28 BTU/hr

4 Zone Amplifier: 4 Amps (8 channels with 8 ohm loads) 600 watts., 12 watts when idle not in power saving mode. 6 watts in power saving mode

Audio Matrix Switcher: 500ma, 60 watts, 204.774 BTU/hr

not sure bout the media player

me design tp810 don't know about the draw but input power is 15v dc 2.8amp

This equipment list looks familiar by the way. looks like something i used to recommend to dealers when i used to work for Convergent Technologies (the then distributor of Control4).

well possibly the amps don't need to be on the ups - the main problem I am having is every month or so the control4 system stops responding to commands, and I have to reset the hc 300, and 2 x hc 200's to get the system to respond. I think it maybe something that a UPS may solve.

^Maybe, maybe not. A reset of all controllers at some interval is not a bad idea and I have found instances where processes smooth-out afterwards. I am on a whole-house genset BTW.

Also, if you would like automated reboot of your main primary controller (director) look into Synaccess netBooter. This has saved me time and having to remember.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I too am looking for a way to power cycle my system. Not sure if I need to be able to do it remotely, but rather on a timed basis, (ie, every Wednesday at 3am) I keep reading that you should not need to reboot that often, but I have been plagued with this problem for years. My dealer and myself are baffled.

As for a remote IP reboot system there is:

http://www.ihiji.com/

and

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=BlueBOLT

You should never need to reboot any controller. I am concerned that you are running so much off a hc200 though. The tp810 is a 10 x 8 switcher.

I agree with you- you should never NEED to reboot. As a consumer and bonafide "dummy" this process avoids an email to my dealer and possibly coming on here and posting to thin air. If you can come up with a logical explanation why this one activity can do so much good for us dummies then I will have renewed faith in not only Control4 but every other piece of software that I have used for control & automation.

Thank you.

I have a first generation of these. I've had to reboot it a few times over the last 5 years, but it does work very well. They make ones that are more rack oriented. Would I put one at the North Pole to handle things... no. Would I put one in my basement.... yes.

You should never need to reboot any controller. I am concerned that you are running so much off a hc200 though. The tp810 is a 10 x 8 switcher.

I agree with you- you should never NEED to reboot. As a consumer and bonafide "dummy" this process avoids an email to my dealer and possibly coming on here and posting to thin air. If you can come up with a logical explanation why this one activity can do so much good for us dummies then I will have renewed faith in not only Control4 but every other piece of software that I have used for control & automation.

Thank you.

Absolutely 100% spot on CFUG...

Would this do the trick? Can this recycle and does it offer IP over internet control of individual power sockets? http://www.recluseav.com.au/driver-news-aviosys-9258w-wifi-power-outlet.aspx .....Alan?

A well programmed system will not need rebooting. As with any computer based hardware if the system is pushed too hard, if the system is incorrectly programmed/designed or even if the system is subject to an environment it was not designed for then you are bound to encounter issues.

In such cases power cycling could temporarily resolve your issues (by doing so it relieves utilsed cpu and memory which could have been eaten up).

The device that alex has shown is an IP based power conditioner / controller that we wrote a Control4 driver for. We utilise it to not only ensure we have a clean power signal but we also utilise it to eliminate standby power from devices in the rack.

The PS Audio Powerplay out of box also offers auto reboot on ping failure, internet based control over outlets (via the psaudio website for free).

My system at home utilises a stupid amount of resources (reading power meter every 6 seconds, polling email server every 15 seconds, keypad server waiting for commands from any PC in my home, two way drivers for pretty much every device in my system, zigbee on every single light, etc etc) and even then i never reboot.

mhwlog a UPS may fix your issues (if you have power dips and services are failing) however based upon my experience it more then likely will not. At this stage it could really be anything. Its hard to say without reverse engineering your system. Luckily we are both based in the same state so if you want we can come out to look into your system. Let me know if you're keen.

A well programmed system will not need rebooting.

Sure in a perfect world....ah....but since when was any "non 24/7 supported home network run by the seat of ones pants, single home user - as apposed to a certified network engineer monitored large business organisation with 24/7 backup generation".... i.e. my place.... NOT going to need to odd reboot once in a while :cool:

Actually Alan, I'm after it to reboot a c-bus wiser and my router (when I'm off site)...and to cut power in my "rack"..not that I have an actual rack..:rolleyes:..anyway...C4 is running fine now I have my controller (with the main Zigbee co-ordinator) on a UPS...

Finding out this little issue with help from the forum, has helped my situation immensely, as previously it just so happened the controller with this function programmed, was the only one NOT on a UPS !

I suggest every single user on this forum works out which Controller has been programmed by their dealer as the primary Zigbee co-ordinator and make sure this is on a UPS. Just another one of those little things you learn from the wonderful help on this forum (As apposed to any non existent C4 manual/C4 For dummies/or C4 company supported wiki)...Just Sayin ;)

Cheers

Alex

Thanks for your suggestion Alex. As mentioned yes this could be an issue if you have power dips and yes I have seen this. However from my experience it is more likely a different issue. A good ups will resolve this if it is the issue (note there are different types but I won't get into that discussion).

For those who do not know my background I used to train and support the countries entire dealerbase, repair control4 hardware, maintain the company network and develop the software (drivers) that the op and many control4 users use today.

Basically what I am saying is before jumping to conclusions and randomly guessing as to what may resolve ANY system stability issues a proper analysis by a professional is advised.

Anyway to answer your question Alex yes it is perfect for remote reboot of any device and can be accessed via any computer with an internet connection. I'm fact I think it's bang for buck for what it does. It's hard to find a good power conditioner let alone one that let's you control each individual outlet (it has 10).

I'm not sure to be honest. I don't think it would cause problems with the UPS as it'll connect on the ups output. You thinking if connecting it to your wiser system?

All networked and working fine plugged into the UPS. Waiting for your driver.. ;)

I've been in contact with DeanB... cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Archived