C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Amplifier vs Rotel (noob alert)

cdepaola

So I'm working on a C4 system for my home and I'm curious about the performance of the C4 amps in comparison to the Rotel Class D amp(s) that I've been looking at. I understand that the C4 units offer some features that the Rotel won't have but how much of an impact will this have? Features vs a huge history of high quality components and amps that will last for decades.

So do the benefits of using the C4 amp outweigh the downfalls, are there any audiophile grade amps that would fit better into the system? I'm having a heck of a time finding anyone other then distributed audio companies making amps that can be controled via IR, RS232.

Thanks!

Control is the sticking point as you've found out between high-quality amplifiers and distributed audio amplifiers.

It's an issue, their markets are quite different. On the one hand, most amplifiers are not controlled (and can't be controlled), as they count on the source gear (a matched receiver, in many cases) to do the volume scaling, or they're manual control only.

Distributed audio amplifiers are typically created to be controlled exclusively via a remote connection, with individual keypads in rooms to control.

Control4's amplifier V3 is a pretty good quality Distributed Audio amplifier, but it's still a DA amplifier, not an audiofile amplifier.

RyanE

To add to Ryan's excellent advice I would say that most distributed audio systems are not really designed or targeted for extremely high quality sound. Even the best in ceiling or in wall speakers are only going to sound decent compared to a dedicated system designed for high quality sound.

The Triad InCeiling Gold MiniMonitors sound way better then the average in ceiling.

Does C4 or someone else make a pre amp that has the same functionality as their amp, obviously minus the amp portion? If I have to get a C4 amp then I guess I need to do it...

Do what I (and a lot of people here) do and use Control4 for your distributed audio, and a dedicated setup for those couple of areas where you really want to crank.

I am here to tell you that for 95% of the listening (for my wife...100%) the Control4 amp and in ceiling speakers are great. For those areas (theater, etc...) where you really want the audio quality at a critical level, get a dedicated setup for that room. You don't need background music at a Christmas party or announcements being blasted out over a McIntosh level setup that rivals most stadium sound systems...

I'd also say you'd get more bang for your buck by upgrading your speakers than upgrading from the Control4 amplifier.

At least, first.

The Control4 speakers are good speakers, but there are better speakers (for more money all the way to *much* more money), and I think you'll hear that difference more than you would to switch out the amplifier, at least for multi-room setups.

RyanE

I agree. I've got B&W's as my main speakers (personal preference) hooked up to main amp/receiver in the room we watch movies. In the other zones, I have ceiling mount Polks controlled by the C4 amp. It does an excellent job, gives me discrete volume control. Combined, it puts out a decent sound for areas where they are - background music in the dining room, ensuite etc

Use the C4 amp. IMHO it's good

Archived