C4 Forums | Control4

Hc-300

tebery

The GUI is completely separate from which controller is the 'master controller'.

Typically, we say that the 'master controller' is the controller that is running Director. Every controller also could run Navigator, which provides the on-screen display. Only the HC-300 provides a hi-def 720p display output.

We also typically recommend that you install an HTC per TV, to control the TV and any local equipment in that location. It's not the 'master', but can provide on-screen locally, as well as IR ports, etc.

You can also use all the I/O from every controller in the system. All the I/O gets sent to / from Director to the device that has that I/O. In other words, yes, you can use the MC's additional serial, IR, relay, and contacts as inputs and outputs in the system, even if it's not the 'master controller'.

The advantages of the HC-300 are that it has the HD 720p component output, it's a bit faster than a standard HTC, it has a built-in DSP to assist in MP3 encoding and decoding, and it has 2 serial ports. It's also a new industrial design, which looks cleaner.

The only drawback to having the HC-300 over the HTC is that it costs $100 more retail than the HTC.

RyanE

• 4 weeks later...

tebery, the HC-300 does *not* have a hard drive.

If you have a lot of media (MP3's and cover art for a disc changer -- Sony 777), it's better to keep the Media Controller as the master, as it stores the coverart, etc., on the hard drive, even if the media is on the NAS.

str1der, the HC-300 has two stereo outputs that it can stream to analog, and it can stream to multiple speakerpoint devices if you are doing 'networked' distributed audio.

RyanE

• 4 weeks later...

I am an end-user and I'm in the process of getting quotes on a C4 system.

In my case, I will have an HC-300 for my dedicated Home Theater (7.1 system, Front Projection). I will also have an 8 zone whole-house audio system driven off the C4 Amp. MP3's and the C4 tuner w/XM will be the primary media sources, and I would likely hook up a 500GB USB HDD (I also want to use my Vista Media Center, but only as a "source" similar to a DVD player etc...). I think I may also get the Sony DVD changer.

My dilema is the family room system (5.1 system with receiver and 50" HD plasma). I really want the HD interface of the HC-300, but one of the dealers I have spoken with is saying I should use the Media Controller or my system will be too slow. But from what I've read here, it seems to me that the only reasons I would need a MC over the HC-300 is for source control / outputs. And I think with 2 HC-300's in the system, I should be ok for source control. And I seriously doubt we would ever have more than 2 MP3 streams used at the same time . Can someone give me some guidance here?

NOTE: ALL of the equipment (other than the displays) is in a centrally located rack in the basement.

I've been running the original HTC for a long time.

The only limitation is the count of MP3 - the original HTC wasn't recommended for over 10000 of songs.

I say - you don't want MC. Go with two HC300 or one HC300 and matrix switcher.

I've been running the original HTC for a long time.

The only limitation is the count of MP3 - the original HTC wasn't recommended for over 10000 of songs.

I say - you don't want MC. Go with two HC300 or one HC300 and matrix switcher.

Thanks Kirill.

I'm assuming when you say that I could use 1 HC300 and a matrix switcher that the following caveats would apply:

1. The single HC-300 would need to have enough serial/IR inputs to accomodate my equipment

2. I wouldn't be able to use on-screen menu in 2 places at the same time (although I suppose it could be "seen" in both places, but the second user would see someone navigating the screen)

Are there any others I should be aware of?

1. The single HC-300 would need to have enough serial/IR inputs to accomodate my equipment

strange_brew

The HC-300 does not have any IR inputs except the IR receiver on the front of the unit. Perhaps you mean enough IR outputs for all of your equipment. The HC-300 has 6 IR outputs on the rear of the unit. You can use various methods to get more than 6 IR emitters such as multiple emitters per wire by using the Xantech Dual Mouse Emitter which will give you 12 separate IR outputs. Additionally there are a host of other Xantech products that can be attached to the HC-300 that provide even greater numbers of IR emitters.

Alan

strange_brew

The HC-300 does not have any IR inputs except the IR receiver on the front of the unit. Perhaps you mean enough IR outputs for all of your equipment. The HC-300 has 6 IR outputs on the rear of the unit. You can use various methods to get more than 6 IR emitters such as multiple emitters per wire by using the Xantech Dual Mouse Emitter which will give you 12 separate IR outputs. Additionally there are a host of other Xantech products that can be attached to the HC-300 that provide even greater numbers of IR emitters.

Alan

Thanks Alan. I did mean outputs. I'll be fine for IR, but I'm not sure that 2 serial cables will be enough. However, from reading some more in the forum I understand there are expansion options for that as well. I'm more concerned about media control than anything else.

Thanks Alan. I did mean outputs. I'll be fine for IR, but I'm not sure that 2 serial cables will be enough. However, from reading some more in the forum I understand there are expansion options for that as well. I'm more concerned about media control than anything else.

I am running B&B 2 port serial expansion module - works great and only cost 200$

Archived