C4 Forums | Control4

GE Concord creating 2nd partition for use of motion sensors

drmark12pa

Does anyone know if a person can use the GE Concord security system using a 2nd partition (the 1st being for door/window sensors and true security) whereas the 2nd partition could be set up for motion sensors only to use for "events" such as light triggering and such via Control4?

What I would like to do is have the 1st partition security only and the 2nd partition more user functionality.

I haven't actually tried it yet as I didn't want to move all my motion sensors out of partition 1. However, we have 2 retrievers (dogs) and they are tripping the motion sensors so can really only be used if no person or animal is home. So as to not let those sensors go to waste, I'm thinking about using them purely for Control4 purposes.

Does anyone have similar issues with internal motion sensors with animals? My other option is to just arm the system as STAY all of the time even when I'm not at home so the motion sensors aren't triggered by my dogs....

The motion sensors' value (motion/not motion) is sent to Control4 regardless of arming state of any partitions.

There's no additional value to moving them out of partition 1 unless you're doing it solely to keep them from reporting fault conditions due to the animals.

You can also program them to not be armed when the partition is armed, and leave them in Partition 1.

I'm not a security expert, but I play one at work from time to time, so I could be a bit off, but I do know the sensor status (motion/not motion) is reported independent of the partition status.

RyanE

I haven't actually tried it yet as I didn't want to move all my motion sensors out of partition 1. However, we have 2 retrievers (dogs) and they are tripping the motion sensors so can really only be used if no person or animal is home. So as to not let those sensors go to waste, I'm thinking about using them purely for Control4 purposes.

Does anyone have similar issues with internal motion sensors with animals? My other option is to just arm the system as STAY all of the time even when I'm not at home so the motion sensors aren't triggered by my dogs....

Do you have the motion sensors that are supposed to be "pet proof"?

I do have the pet motion sensors but they are only rated up to a certain dog size... and I've tested them with our dogs and sure enough they trigger the motion sensors....

I may end up just arming my system as STAY with a delay so I can just exit my house and the motion sensors won't be on when the dogs are home but the window and doors will be on.

An alternative is to mask the lower portion of the sensor, so they only trip on things higher up than the pets.

Of course, if they're down-facing, that doesn't really help, and I'd imagine your dogs are big enough to still possibly trip them even masking higher.

RyanE

RyanE,

When the C4 is initially connected to the Concord panel and all the Concord devices that are configured to the panel are read by the C4 - does it matter what partition they are on? If you have multiple partitions does the C4 still just see a list of devices?

Thanks for any insight.

You can get pet immune detectors up to 48kg I'm pretty sure.

This would cover almost every dog, not sure how they would respond if both your dogs were together.

Still should come in under 48, but I don't know how comfortable they are (how they are fed) :)

Do you know what your detectorsvare rated at?

Archived