C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Amplifier Maintenance

CFUG

I would like to get some real-life feedback on how I should go about extracting a C4-16AMP from a rack and perform some cleaning. This amp is cooled by a fan pack adjacent to it in the rack. I suspect it is filled with dust. The job seems nasty but I worry about PS & other problems if I don't do something. It's been 3 yrs...

• 2 weeks later...

The C4-16AMP is a unit that hard unit to take apart. There are 3 b oards internal to it which consists of 1 board for inputs, 1 main board and a power supply. You will need to take the top input board off first. After that the power supply comes out next and finally the lower board. Due to the weight of the digital amplifiers the board will flex a bit if not held with two hands.

Note that the 16 Channel Amplifier has a monster power supply and when disconnected may take some time to discharge. It is highly recommended that you get a trained tech to perform the maintenance. As it is out of warranty should any issues arise it will probably cost you quite a bit of money to repair the unit if it should fail.

It's a little dicey but you could try a wee bit of CRC 2-26 on the bearing. More than likely the surface is scored and the fan will stop which would be a bummer. Not much dust eh? I wonder what mine is going to like like...

• 2 months later...

My V1 amp that had its power supply replaced back in 2009 with a V2 amp is about ready to die AGAIN (fan and/or power supply). Just face the facts, and expect it to die soon and C4 will want you to purchase the latest and greatest amp available. Just look on the bright side, it will come with a 2 year warranty, for what it's worth. :P

My V1 amp that had its power supply replaced back in 2009 with a V2 amp is about ready to die AGAIN (fan and/or power supply). Just face the facts, and expect it to die soon and C4 will want you to purchase the latest and greatest amp available. Just look on the bright side, it will come with a 2 year warranty, for what it's worth. :P

Don't believe this. Too many variables. I've never had an amp die. I'm not setting one ever has, but to assume it well quickly fail is not fair.

Is my alignment shop a piece if crap if my car doesn't stay on alignment while I drive off road and jump the car, hitting numerous potholes at 60 MPH?

Who knows what environment these amps are in.

My V1 amp that had its power supply replaced back in 2009 with a V2 amp is about ready to die AGAIN (fan and/or power supply). Just face the facts' date=' and expect it to die soon and C4 will want you to purchase the latest and greatest amp available. Just look on the bright side, it will come with a 2 year warranty, for what it's worth. :P[/quote']

Don't believe this. Too many variables. I've never had an amp die. I'm not setting one ever has, but to assume it well quickly fail is not fair.

Is my alignment shop a piece if crap if my car doesn't stay on alignment while I drive off road and jump the car, hitting numerous potholes at 60 MPH?

Mine's in a full Mid-Atlantic temperature controlled AV rack inside a AV closet housing nothing but AV gear where the temp never goes above 70 degrees and in a 6 year old 5000 sqft home in Maryland. My Onkyo receiver, C4 media controller, PS3, Panamax surge protector, switches and router have all ran without a hitch for these many years in the same location, but the C4 AMP, well that's another story. It's electronics, some are built better then others and C4 has had some issues with certain items in their line up, AMPs being one of them. Like Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc, sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you get the lemon. Denon had (or has) problems with their CI line up and network cards failing, Onkyo's have been literally smoking and catching on fire in AV racks with their XX9 models. C4 has had issues with their V1 AMPs, which necessitated switching out power sources to the V2 line.

My V1 amp that had its power supply replaced back in 2009 with a V2 amp is about ready to die AGAIN (fan and/or power supply). Just face the facts' date=' and expect it to die soon and C4 will want you to purchase the latest and greatest amp available. Just look on the bright side, it will come with a 2 year warranty, for what it's worth. :P[/quote']

Mine's in a full Mid-Atlantic temperature controlled AV rack inside a AV closet housing nothing but AV gear where the temp never goes above 70 degrees and in a 6 year old 5000 sqft home in Maryland. My Onkyo receiver, C4 media controller, PS3, Panamax surge protector, switches and router have all ran without a hitch for these many years in the same location, but the C4 AMP, well that's another story. It's electronics, some are built better then others and C4 has had some issues with certain items in their line up, AMPs being one of them. Like Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc, sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you get the lemon. Denon had (or has) problems with their CI line up and network cards failing, Onkyo's have been literally smoking and catching on fire in AV racks with their XX9 models. C4 has had issues with their V1 AMPs, which necessitated switching out power sources to the V2 line.

I'm not saying you haven't had issues...I'm saying it isn't fair for you to make a blanket sstatement about the product because of your limited experience with it. I've had c4 since 2005, and have NEVER had an amp fail. My first one was a V1...ran for 5 years and I sold it to a member here and he's still using it today...never an issue. I now have two and they're both great. Sorry you have had problems, and yes...I'm aware that some V1 amps had power supply issues.

OK, where are you measuring T? Air flow distribution away from the amp OK? I put a fan pack directly over the amp. How about you?

I'm not defending C4 because for all I know there was a bad run of power supplies but like others, I've not seen a single issue with mine and it gets thrashed daily.

Archived