C4 Forums | Control4

Question about inputs for 8 zone amp and using two of them.

jr219

Hello,

Trying to get my head wrapped around some of the C4 products.

Do I understand correctly that the C416AMP has 8 zones (16 channels) and 8 inputs. And it is a full 8x8 matrix switcher too. So I can bring audio input into any of those inputs and have it route to any of the outputs. It cannot stream music itself, the only audio inputs is from the RCA? The ethernet is just for control?

What if I need two of them. Is it possible to get all 16 zones listening to the same source. I would assume it's 8x8 and no way to link them all together. If I wanted one "iTunes" zone for the entire house then I would need to Y it out to both amps? or I need to put in an output from a HC300 or something?

Thanks!

-jr

[edit typo in subject]

You are correct, you either have to 'Y' the inputs, or you use an audio switch in front of the amplifiers, then lock the amplifiers to not do switching.

Causing the audio to be digitized and then played by a controller can also work, but will cause additional delay in the audio beginning to play, due to the time spent streaming the audio.

RyanE

Causing the audio to be digitized and then played by a controller can also work, but will cause additional delay in the audio beginning to play, due to the time spent streaming the audio.

RyanE

Ryan,

To Clarify.. I can have a 8 zone amp with no RCA inputs connected on the same network as a controller with music on a NAS and play audio in the different zones? How many streams can the different controllers output?

thanks,

-jr

Causing the audio to be digitized and then played by a controller can also work' date=' but will cause additional delay in the audio beginning to play, due to the time spent streaming the audio.

RyanE[/quote']

Ryan,

To Clarify.. I can have a 8 zone amp with no RCA inputs connected on the same network as a controller with music on a NAS and play audio in the different zones? How many streams can the different controllers output?

thanks,

-jr

The 8 zone amp requires RCA inputs, music is not streamed over the network to these (the 4 zone amp included) devices.

The 8 zone amp requires RCA inputs, music is not streamed over the network to these (the 4 zone amp included) devices.

Thanks. I get it. So to get streaming output from C4 I need to hook one of the inputs up to a controller output or some other "controllable". The 300 has two audio outputs which could stream audio from a NAS into those two outputs and then I could route those two outputs to any (or all) of the 8 zones in the amp..

thanks,

-jr

The 8 zone amp requires RCA inputs' date=' music is not streamed over the network to these (the 4 zone amp included) devices.[/quote']

Thanks. I get it. So to get streaming output from C4 I need to hook one of the inputs up to a controller output or some other "controllable". The 300 has two audio outputs which could stream audio from a NAS into those two outputs and then I could route those two outputs to any (or all) of the 8 zones in the amp..

thanks,

-jr

Correct. If you're after the ability to get a bunch of centralized digital sources in the rack area you should try and snag a "Media Controller". They can be found for really cheap (under $100) and have 3 audio outs, as well as a bunch or IR, contacts, relays, etc...

Archived