C4 Forums | Control4

Can the HTC output digital audio without a speaker point

Quickbuck

I'm kind of befuddled. I was going to purchase a HTC until I was told that in order to play my digital music on my receiver I needed to purchase a speaker point as well. I don't know if I'm being lied to or if the dealer's (Tweeter) store rep doesn't know his stuff (he openly stated that they don't have a C4 expert any longer and that he never has sold any before). However, what I read on the HTC brochure states that the HTC can stream digital audio to up to two locations. Moreover, this appears to make sense because the HTC has two audio outputs. Can anyone clarify?

The HTC can output audio through the analog RCA (L & R) connections, there is no digital output (Toslink or SPDIF). As long as your receiver is in the same vicinity, you can connect the HTC to inputs on your receiver. You will still need to attach a USB drive to the HTC that contains your digital music (MP3 Only).

And even better - the HTC has TWO sets of outputs... so if you have another amplifier somewhere else - you can have 2 ZONES of audio going that are not even the same music. For example, here I have an HTC's AUDIO 1 plugged into a receiver in a living room, and take the AUDIO 2 outputs and plug into an amplifier that controls speakers outdoors. The outdoor "zone" does NOT need to be listening to the same thing as the 1st zone either! Very often I'll have digital audio (from my Media Controller) streaming to AUDIO 1 outputs and have XM Tuner (from the Control4 Tuner) playing in the ZONE 2 (outdoor) zone. Works great! AND - even better - the HTC has line level out volume control, so I plug right into the AMP and control the volume through the HTC. Great solution... but it just requires that you AMPLIFY elsewhere... if you don't have an AMP (or a receiver), then the SpeakerPoint would be required.

Archived