C4 Forums | Control4

Recommend a Router

R_Willis

Recommend a router for my upcoming C4 install.

No need for wireless anything.

I have ~8/10 network jacks throughout the house to plug in the laptops or CPUs. (8-10)

I plan on having maybe 3-4 MTSs eventually. (3-4)

I'll probably have a HTC and AMP at least (2)

So, it looks like a good 16 port with maybe 4-6 POE (for the MTSs) would be a good choice.

Anyone have any recommendations on a good reliable choice, price isn't a huge factor, but like always, the cheaper the better.

Motorola Surfboard 5120 cable modem being used if it matters... (it shouldn't :D)

Appreciate it guys.

• 2 months later...

We have had a tremendous amount of issues with the Netgear FS726TP. It works for very small systems, but there are definite issues with it in general. We are in the process of recalling it on most of the systems that have the device.

I would recommend everyone to stay away from this switch unless you don't mind have network anomalies...

There is not an 'officially' recommended switch, but if you'll ask CYTEXONE and Slemay, they can probably steer you in the right direction.

You typically want something a little more commercial, that you don't buy for $50 at BB or Circuit.

:)

RyanE

The belkin with MIMO scored pretty well, same with linksys, but those are Pre-N routers. Im sure the N will do well.

Never had an issue with linksys, more $$ but worth it in most cases.

I have had really good luck building my own router but its more expensive if you build a PC router and load something like m0n0wall on it or pfSense. But they are amazing router applications.

We have had a tremendous amount of issues with the Netgear FS726TP. It works for very small systems, but there are definite issues with it in general. We are in the process of recalling it on most of the systems that have the device.

I would recommend everyone to stay away from this switch unless you don't mind have network anomalies...

Could you recommend a nice Dell switch (model number) that has around the same specs/price as this switch then? Thanks Dan.

Belkin is garbage... best stuff out there is Cisco - but VERY expensive (48 port PoE is around $7000 - but that also includes Layer 3 routing - which basically means the router is built into the switch)! We use Linksys Business line (which is really Cisco - but just branded Linksys - so DO NOT confuse this with the Linksys line of consumer products) of switches - but they do run LOUD - so make sure they are well away from ear range. We're about to try some Nortel's switches to see how those work... again - this is all commercial stuff, but works well... we're about to do a 24 MTS and 12 IP Camera install and thus going to try Nortel's 48 port PoE switch (retails for around $1600). BUT - a good rule of thumb, for a decent switch - you should expect to pay around $30 - $40 PER PORT if you want good quality and reliable!

We've tried the Belkin routers - thought they were ok for a while - but I've had 2/3rds of them die after a year in the field. Of course - outside of the warranty... so we do not use them at all anymore. Plus - they had problems talking with 10.5" TS - no idea why...

Belkin is garbage... best stuff out there is Cisco - but VERY expensive (48 port PoE is around $7000 - but that also includes Layer 3 routing - which basically means the router is built into the switch)! We use Linksys Business line (which is really Cisco - but just branded Linksys - so DO NOT confuse this with the Linksys line of consumer products) of switches - but they do run LOUD - so make sure they are well away from ear range. We're about to try some Nortel's switches to see how those work... again - this is all commercial stuff, but works well... we're about to do a 24 MTS and 12 IP Camera install and thus going to try Nortel's 48 port PoE switch (retails for around $1600). BUT - a good rule of thumb, for a decent switch - you should expect to pay around $30 - $40 PER PORT if you want good quality and reliable!

We all understand there are different quality switches. I think you example above is extreme. I could afford a $1600 switch if I was spending $20,000 on mini touch screens alone. I think everyone here is looking for an affordable solution for the average person. Some of the above mentioned Dell switches with gigabit ports start in the $150 range. Looking for ideas for smaller installs.

There is a number of good 24 port switches to choose from. DLINK, Netgear, and Avaya sells an inexpensive business class switch with POE ports. You can even utilize Cisco's Linksys trade up program. Linksys is making some good small business switches that are under $1000. Any of these can handle the traffic of these systems and even video distribution over them. No need to spend the money on a big Cisco Switch.

Bryan

http://www.thesohoshop.com

Just an FYI but from an article I read in one of my network magazines Cisco is supposed to be droping the Linksys name.

I've talked to several dealers and they all said that the Netgear has worked great for them. The only one I heard negatives on was the Dlink. I plan on using the the Netgear for my own system.

Stash - I gave an opinion in all price categories except the extreme low end. It's been our experience that the $150 switch stinks... and we replace them. We've tried quite a few... D-Link PoE should be avoided at all costs (as it does not conform to the "standards" of PoE that most people use - instead it uses the "other" standard that only about 10% of the market uses). We've tried the 3Com $150 switches... ended up ripping them out. The lowest end switches we use now - ARE those Linksys Business switches (as I mentioned originally) - which are really low end Cisco switches. For those - a good 24 port (with 12 PoE ports) retails for around $800... and that is not expensive for what you get.

Realize too - I'm in a market where I've sold 3 10.5" TS ever! Customers are very cheap here... yet I can sell these switches as backbones to all of our projects at no trouble. It's all on how you present reliability to the customer. That price point above is for a 24 port - but they sell them in 16 and 8 port versions... and if you don't need PoE don't buy it - get the switch without it.

Again (don't mean to preach) you get what you pay for! A $150 switch is better than a $60 one - but in our experience they still just don't hold up. Start "expecting" to pay $300 or more for a switch and explain the reasons to your customers. They'll understand and purchase it if you explain it. It's no different than selling them on the benefits to purchase a UPS or a "better" security system... what good is a $10,000 system if it only works 85% or 90% of the time? We shoot for 100% as when the system fails - so does your reputation as an installer!

Well, I'd rather not spend more then $3xx-$4xx if possible.

Wonder why "lippavisual" hasn't had any problems with his N FS726TP?

I haven't had any issues with this switch. But, I have had problems with the 8-port. It seems as if you use all the PoE ports for MTS's, the switch can't handle the power requirements and the overload light comes on. This really only happens if you use at least 3 at the same time. I've started specing larger switches to handle the power requirements.

I hope this helps.

I use all Cisco products, but they are very expensive, and typically overkill for most situations.

Linksys works well too...

Some people have already mentioned what is junk or garbage and I'd have to agree with them...

3Com actually works pretty well too - BUT WITH CONTROL4 I've experienced issues.

As D-Link isn't using the standard PoE interfaces - it may work with C4 - but if you plug most other devices into it - they will fail (example - we used a D-Link PoE 4 port switch to power 2 Panasonic IP cameras - it failed).

Archived