C4 Forums | Control4

regular switches that look like C4 dimmers

maxspivak

Does C4 make regular non-automated switches that look like C4 dimmers? I need several for items like garbage disposer, bathroom fans, etc. My dear wife doesn't want regular decora paddles next to c4 dimmers -- she wants them to look more similar.

For the bathroom fans, etc., you can just use a Control4 in-wall switch, which is just like a dimmer, but it has a relay instead of the dimming circuit.

For the garbage disposal, you could also use the switch, but many people I've talked to are nervous about having a controllable switch on something that's meant to chew things up.

:)

I use a Control4 switch on my Garbage disposal (but not learned in the Control4 system).

If I were to ever need to put my hand down the disposal, I'm going to unplug it under the counter regardless of whether it's on a Control4 switch or on a 'manual' decora switch.

RyanE

I use it on my garbage disposal also... just do not 'learn' it on your program, and ALWAYS disconnect (even if you WERENT using C4) when sticking your hand in there...

If you update your C4, sometimes you might get what I call disco lights (the lights turn on and off and weird stuff happens), if this happened to your garbage disposal you might burn it out also...

I use them for fans also... hell I have all my switches c4 except 1 which is a pull chain...otherwise all 90 odd switches are c4.

I also asked this question and made the suggest way back some time ago on one of the boards.

It'd be nice to be able to have some matching switches that didn't cost $99 where you don't need automation.

Yeah, but the problem with making ones that look like C4 switches is, they still have to go through design and engineering and would likely still be expensive, especially since they won't sell in the same volume as the current dimmers / switches.

Also, the 'disco lights' is typically NOT the load turning on and off, but just the LEDs showing the update status. Lights turn off during a firmware update, and then back on if they were on before.

It should not cause a disposal / fan to turn on if it wasn't on before, and certainly won't turn the load on and off rapidly... should not cause damage...

RyanE

Yeah, but the problem with making ones that look like C4 switches is, they still have to go through design and engineering and would likely still be expensive, especially since they won't sell in the same volume as the current dimmers / switches.

Also, the 'disco lights' is typically NOT the load turning on and off, but just the LEDs showing the update status. Lights turn off during a firmware update, and then back on if they were on before.

It should not cause a disposal / fan to turn on if it wasn't on before, and certainly won't turn the load on and off rapidly... should not cause damage...

RyanE

We've had disco lights turning the load on and off on our dimmers before? Not sure what's up with that, but it happened in the pool room?

It's possible that if you had a dimmer that was defective, it could be reflashing the device over and over...

i.e. it tries to reflash the dimmer with new firmware, something goes wrong with it, so it tries again and again.

Other than that (which I've never seen, but have heard of), it should only switch the light off while updating, flash the LEDs while updating / flashing the firmware, and then restore the light to the level it was before it started updating.

RyanE

Archived