C4 Forums | Control4

Remote to recognize which room your in

jedi7001

jedi - buy more remotes ;)

probably zigbee can identify the closes switch to remote and link it to the room remote is in

If you have more then one remote you can have the remotes programmed so that only the room the remote is in shows up as being controlled.

GoGo Delicious

GoGo

Where can i find remote programming? I dont see that as an option in Composer

I have the dealer version of composer 1.3.1.114. If you have the dealer version you will want to do the following

1) Open Composer

2) Select "System Design"

3) Select the the room you DO NOT want to show up in the remote

4) In the "Properties" paine slect the "Navigator" Tab

5) In the "Menu Settings" check the "Hide Room in Location Menu"

Note that I am NOT a programmer, dealer, installer. I happen to have a source for the dealer version of composer. The above instructions worked for me they may or may not work for you. I would actually ask your dealer about the above. If there are any dealers reading chime in and let me/us know if this is correct or not. Like I say . . it works for me.

GoGo Delicious.

I personally think that this option would add a lot of cost to the remote, as well as making it considerably harder to setup, etc.

Since we don't have 'location-ing' functionality with proximity sensors, etc., the remotes don't cost nearly as much, so you can afford to purchase another few for different rooms...

RyanE

Now guys....its is a "wishlist". I know this wounds far fetch but there are several times i use a remote in several different rooms. For example, I take a remote with me outside by the pool (oh ya, new wishlist item, waterproof remote for pool), I will walk outside and have to change rooms, or when I go in and out when I am BBQ'ing.....I usually carry one remote with me. I know, if money was no object, I would have 15 remotes for all rooms in my home. It was just a thought.

I have purchased 4 remotes and use 3 of them in particular rooms. I use the 4th remote in the kitchen and porch. I agree, it is not user friendly to change locations, especially for the wife and kids. Also when you bring the remote outside and the LCD screen shows Radio or music, you do not know what location it is set for.

Maybe as a work around you could program the "*" and "#" buttons to set the location. I am going to try this later in the week.

For example:

I use the # button in my bedroom to turn on the lights and gas fireplace and then use the * button to shut off all the bedroom lights and the fireplace.

MSI - the remotes, starting with 1.3 I think, show which room there in. So I'm confused as to what you mean when you bring them outside and they don't show which location their in? I don't believe you can "program" a location - though I'm not positive on that - but I can't figure out anywhere that there is a variable to change the room so I think you're stuck with changing the room manually.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a thought on how this might me accomplished. Let me start by explaining a system we installed at a previous employer. This was done using 802.11 WiFi but the concept of how it works could provide a solution to having the remote recognize what room it is in.

The system installed at my previous employer used the wireless access points to triangulate the location of a radio transmitter. You see, my previous employer manufactured large diesel engines and sometimes engines would be misplaced in the very large warehouses. The solution was to use the Cisco location services to triangulate the location a transmitter attached to each engine. The system was able to determine which wireless access points (there were 100's of access points in the large warehouses) could see the signal of a transmitter and also measure the signal strength. Well, if at least 3 access points could see the signal from a transmitter it was a simple matter of trigonometry for the system to locate an approximate location of the transmitter.

Perhaps this same technique could be used. If I had ZigBee devices in each room it should be possible to determine which devices the remote was able to communicate with. For example if there were 3 ZigBee devices in my master bedroom and 3 in the living room. If I were in the bedroom the signal strength from the devices in the bedroom should be stronger than the signal strength received from the ZigBee devices in the living room. Bam, the remote would know what room it was in.

Just a thought and a wild dream. It would of course require a lot of programing logic to do this, but it seems possible.

wingzz wrote:

couldn't you use a cardaccess motion detector to see you enter the room and then load said room as the active one???

The cardaccess motion detector would be able to detect that someone entered the room. However, if I had a remote in my hand and entered the room the remote would have no idea that I entered the room nor what room I was in.

wingzz wrote:

couldn't you use a cardaccess motion detector to see you enter the room and then load said room as the active one???

The cardaccess motion detector would be able to detect that someone entered the room. However, if I had a remote in my hand and entered the room the remote would have no idea that I entered the room nor what room I was in.

Yeah I guess the system would still have to know where the remote was

Archived