C4 Forums | Control4

dimmers rated at more then 1000w?

R_Willis

I believe that Control4 dimmers will work with Lutron 'Power Pack' dimmer extenders (I don't remember what they call them these days), which take a dimmed input, and can dim up to 2000W of additional dimming power, for a total of 3000W. The 2000W module takes a dedicated 20A circuit, independent of the 'master' dimmer.

I haven't tried it myself, as I don't have needs for such large loads.

RyanE

I'd like this. I have one fixture 26 bulbs...

I had to get the card access remote thing for my outside security floods - I think that they are 700 WATT or so each. They are sodium vapor lamps so they are not dimmable but I agree that it would be great to have an option that can handle more than 1000 Watts.

I'd like this. I have one fixture 26 bulbs...

I had to get the card access remote thing for my outside security floods - I think that they are 700 WATT or so each. They are sodium vapor lamps so they are not dimmable but I agree that it would be great to have an option that can handle more than 1000 Watts.

I have a few Card Access Heavy Duty Power Controllers for outdoor lighting...they work great for that.

I have that Chandelier hooked up to a Control4 dimmer. I went all the way down to 40W bulbs and it still exceed the 1,000 watts. If that thing is dimmed at all, it gets REALLY hot.

Like I said, there *is* an option for up to 2000W (ok, *almost* 2kW) loads.

http://www.beverlyhillselectric.com/ngrxpbwh.html

It slaves to a Control4 dimmer, using the C4 dimmer's output to regulate the independently powered load.

RyanE

I'll keep that in mind for the new house, but I'd imagine that isn't very "retro" friendly.

Thanks for sharing though.

Yeah, the big drawback is you really need a dedicated 20A circuit pulled just for that light, if it's really drawing 2000W. No way around that.

If you had that, though, you certainly could retrofit this. Just add a 2 gang box by the dimmer, and throw this puppy in.

Of course, you then have a 4x4 white square on the wall with no apparent function (behind the white plastic is a *huge* heatsink, for the dimmer)...

RyanE

Yeah, the big drawback is you really need a dedicated 20A circuit pulled just for that light, if it's really drawing 2000W. No way around that.

If you had that, though, you certainly could retrofit this. Just add a 2 gang box by the dimmer, and throw this puppy in.

Of course, you then have a 4x4 white square on the wall with no apparent function (behind the white plastic is a *huge* heatsink, for the dimmer)...

RyanE

Exactly. If wired for that before hand that could easily be in the equipment room.

This noted for my upcoming install.

On the other hand, the CardAccess unit isn't very retro-friendly, either, and a dimmer that could dissipate the dimmer loss for 2000W is *going* to have to have a huge heat sink, so you're not likely to find anyone's dimmer that can handle that big a load in a single-gang drop-in replacement.

RyanE

Archived