C4 Forums | Control4

Porting the Android My Home app to the playbook

LSDave

I find it unlikely.

RyanE

i Just pulled the apk off my galaxy tab 7 and i may try to port it myself. I've already loaded 2.0 on my playbook and can run android apps that have been ported. Ill try it myself and see if it works.

I knew control4 had an Ipad App, but didn't know they had an Android App. This is Great news I have 3 Android Tablets and one android phone as well as an iPhone and an Ipad. So... Could I just get a site license for this and run it on everything simultaneously?

Also I am running 1.7.4 could I use these 2.0 interafces with the old controller?

I knew control4 had an Ipad App, but didn't know they had an Android App. This is Great news I have 3 Android Tablets and one android phone as well as an iPhone and an Ipad. So... Could I just get a site license for this and run it on everything simultaneously?

Also I am running 1.7.4 could I use these 2.0 interafces with the old controller?

You need to be on 2.0 or higher for both the site license and the android app I believe.

I have 2 playbooks...how did it go?

i didnt have time this weekend. Hopefully this week i can take a stab at it. From what i've seen online, people have "jailbroken" the playbook and been able to load on the actual android market. Some apps work fine given they done use any specific API's that the playbook doesnt yet support for android. I saw someone using ES File Explorer on a playbook and said it worked flawlessly. Finally a SAMBA client for the playbook :)

i have successfully got the android app to run on the playbook, but you cannot connect to director. Im not sure if its a limitation of the 2.0 beta software. When you try and bring up the connect to director page, you get a force close screen. The app seems to work great under the test drive screen. But that doesn't help us get it connected to our automation systems.

I would be really shocked if Control4 didn't port the android app to work in the playbook realm. A novice like myself got it ported in a couple hours. I don't have the know how to debug the problem, but i did set the application debug logging on and hit the email log to support button.

It would be really cool if this could get working. i know a lot of people took advantage of the deals on the playbook as of late, and the hardware is excellent.

Damn it...I was hoping it could be ported over. :(

I'm sure it wouldn't be TOO much work for Control4 to do it. If you can run the app, and just not connect to a director, it might be an API reference or something that isn't supported. The fact that you were able to start the app tells me that its not impossible.

If someone could send me the APK file (I don't have an Android device), I could try porting it myself...I doubt I'll get further than anyone else, but its worth a shot.

I think I just realized why it doesn't work. The playbook doesn't support samba. If the control4 app uses any type of samba to discover controllers on the network that would be a reason why it wouldn't work.

I don't think that's it.

Discovery happens over something much like uPnP, not SMB.

Of course, it may use SMB to get images, etc., once connected, but I don't think it uses it on startup.

That said, I didn't work on the Android app, so I'm shooting in the dark here.

Sorry.

RyanE

I've got RIM's Dev Tools for the PlayBook, so if I can track down an APK on Google, I'll see what I can figure out.

Hopefully even if it doesn't work, I might have an idea on what Control4 might have to do. Like I said, there are API's that the PB doesn't support, but many apps should just be able to be ported over.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was finally able to track down an APK via Google. It took maybe 10 seconds to convert into a PlayBook .bar file.

But just like when you tried, Dave, it launched and worked in Demo mode, but the moment you try to connect to a Director, you get a force close message.

I ran the APK through RIM's developer tools to check the compatibility, and it came up with these two incompatibility errors:

Impact Type Reason

4 uses-permission CHANGE_WIFI_MULTICAST_STATE

3 uses-package com.google.android.maps

I don't have an Android tablet, so I have no clue why they're using Google Maps, but its gotta be something that its trying to do with the wifi, because it only crashes if you hit the Connect to Director button.

Anyway, I sent off an email to myhome[at]control4.com with my experiences so far, so we'll see if they reply. I also mentioned to them that RIM has an Adobe AIR SDK for the PlayBook, so the Windows MyHome app they wrote in Adobe AIR is a possibility as well. I don't work for Control4 though, so only one of their developers with the source code can actually try it out. :(

• 5 months later...

I still see this as unlikely as BB claims to have sold 1.2m units total in 14 months after launch, as a comparison apple sold 26m iphones worldwide in the quarter ending june 30, 2012. The demand just cant be that great to justify putting costs into it vs improving ios/android apps.

• 1 year later...

Bump...

Just wanted to give an update regarding this.

I have NOT tried this with our PlayBook, as I just bought a new Google Nexus 7. But my smartphone is the BlackBerry Z10...and with the latest build of MyHome for Android, I was able to successfully port it over to the Z10.

The app crashes when you first try to pair it with your Control4 system, but if you go back into the app and enter the Controller's IP address manually, it works!

I have only tried to play music with our C4 system, mainly because we don't have any lighting or theater controls on it. I haven't had a chance to try the garage doors or the security system. And my 4Sight expired a couple of months ago, so I don't know if it works over 3G.

But at least its progress! :)

Archived