C4 Forums | Control4

HTC "not communicating with Director"??

yellowdog

I have an HTC running fine via remote control or 10.5 LCD panel, but the built in S-video feed to the local television shows the Control4 main menu, no icons lit but info, and a message "not communicating with Director"! How can I get the display to work so that I can see the media selections, etc. I have this functionality working on the media controller in the theatre, but not here in the office.

I have the onscreen navigator connection set to the office on screen device. What am I missing?

So the HTC is connected and streaming audio and selecting video feeds, etc. The only thing I can't seem to make work is the on screen navigation. Is there an association with director that needs to be done? The HTC is identified, obviously.

Any help would be appreciated.

Well, you said the HTC is identified, (through composer right?) so the next step I'd try is to... wait, can you get NO control on the OSD with the system remote? What room is it in? If it is in say the kitchen, select the Connections tab on composer, and highlight the room (in this case kitchen). You should get about 10 or so connections that give you the option for audio/video end points and so on. Make sure that the HTC in question is selected for the On Screen Navigator in that particular room.

I checked the connections for the room and it is configured right, I think:

Under Room Control:

On-Screen Device RoomControl ONSCREEN_SELECTION Input Office HTC->Onscreen Navigator

Highlighting that entry shows the ONSCREEN _SELECTION Output Devices:

Media Controller .....

Office HTC Onscreen Navigator Offics OFfice->On-Screen Device

THat should activate the video out from the HTC to the local TV - right? There is video, but no control at all from the remote.

Do either or, but I wanted to take a look at all your connections. This happened to me before and I forgot how I fixed it for sure. If it's faster, just e-mail it to me and I"ll post the steps I went through to fix it.

Oops! It looks like I didn't have the video endpoint set correctly. I guess I was manually selecting the video feed during test, so that wasn't coming via the HTC. In any case, setting the onscreen display AND the video endpoint to the office seems to do the trick. Thanks for your offers of help, though.

I am much stronger on the networking side of things than the AV....

Hey, glad you fixed your problem. I had thought it was something like that, but I'm glad you found it. Anytime you are getting video on the HTC or MC and no control, it's most likely because of a bad endpoint/connection.

Those Endpoint connections are so important. It took me a few times until I realized the true importance of those.

If you want a mental picture in your head, the way Control4 equipment functions is it follows the paths of all the devices and sets the inputs correctly based on the path.

I believe Audio is directed forward and Video starts at the screen and works its way back.

Archived