C4 Forums | Control4

Thermostat Remote Sensor issue

Ok, I'm getting conflicting messages from the posts here, and I need to finish my wall by the end of the week (which is complicated when I am putting acoustic panels over the wall with the remote sensor).

Between the time the sensor was installed and now the instructions have been misplaced. I do not think my HVAC guy tested anything. I know there was some type of resistance reading you could take, but I don't remember specifics.

If you hook up the remote sensor, in my case a Aprilaire 8051 Flush Mount, you can extend the wires with regular thermostat wiring to the remote location, right? My wire is maybe 20-30 ft at most.

The extended wires from the remote sensor are hooked to the correct TS and TS/C connectors. I've read here that when the external sensor is hooked the internal sensor is disabled, but I've also read you have to make a change in Composer. Which is it?

The baffling part to me is when I held ice on the sensor for testing, no change was shown at the thermostat, so I assume it is is not recognizing the external sensor and is instead using the internal sensor. I don't see why the reading would be something unusual or would show an error if the external sensor wasn't registering. How can it just be using the internal sensor like there is nothing hooked to TS and TS/C?

So basically, I am looking for guidance on testing this and proving to my C4 or HVAC guy what is wrong so they can fix it, whether it is C4 programming, defective sensor, wiring or something else.

I have had more back and forth on these t-stats between my C4 dealer and the HVAC guys. The last straw for me was the switches not being set correctly on my last tstat zone that I just tried to start using this week. I had heat blowing in my theater room. Just wire it and set the switches like the others that work! How hard is it!

I don't have access to Composer, even HE right now. If you look at the posts about this, especially from C4 Ryan, all he mentions is hooking the sensor up. He never mentions (that I've found) anything about a C4 setting. Those came from one or two other users, but many others besides Ryan just mentioned hooking it up.

Should I have to come to the forum to get an answer, no. My dealer has insisted a couple of times there was no setting, and it is not mentioned in the actual T-stat docs (that came with it) that I saw. But that's another story.

I'm not really the right person to ask, unfortunately.

I've never hooked up an external sensor on *any* tstat, and I don't even use Control4 thermostats at home. I've had Aprilaire thermostats since long before I started at Control4, and have used the Aprilaire driver since starting here and writing it.

Sorry.

RyanE

I

Should I have to come to the forum to get an answer, no. My dealer has insisted a couple of times there was no setting, and it is not mentioned in the actual T-stat docs (that came with it) that I saw. But that's another story.

Then your dealer needs to educate himself. But, you can get all the information you need for yourself on the internet. This document very briefly hints to a setting that needs to be made when using the remote sensor.

http://www.control4.com/documentation/Composer_Pro_User_Guide/using_the_wireless_thermostat_advanced_properties.htm

Think about it, you attach a second sensor to the unit but how does it know which one YOU want the reading from? It could default to the in-built thermistor which is what you found out. It's not your fault, I know that but don't think we hand-out bogus info all the time on this forum.

Ok, I get RTFM and of course the logic about "how does it know" is what I was thinking too, but since I have no access to Composer Pro and my dealer insisted there was no setting, I chose to not dig through the documentation besides what came with the t-stat that I had in front of me. I've spent more hours researching C4 than probably 99% of the customers, but yeah I did not dig on this particular thing past the forum.

Archived