C4 Forums | Control4

factory reset hc800

There is a factory reset button on the back of it. Press it in and hold it while turning power on to the unit. Continue holding button in for about 10 seconds and it should then start to reflash.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

What is the correct procedure for this? To downgrade an HC-800. Is it as follows?

Create USB INSTALL stick with same version that the HC-800 came from out of the box.

Backup project

Power off HC-800

Insert USB INSTALL stick

Power on HC-800

Wait for all 3 lights (Power, Data, Link) to come on the front panel?

Remove USB stick

Press ID button and wait for controller to reboot??

Reload backed up project or create a new one?

?

Factory restore button will bring back the firmware to whatever it came on (a year later now I thing that's 2.4 or 2.5 for current shipping), no other 'downgrades' are supported. If it brings you to a lower version than where you want to be you can go back up.

Not sure what version you want to go down too, but at this point 2.5.2 is a stable release, only thing that I can really think of where you may want to be that's lower than that is 2.4 - 2.2.4 was stable as well but 2.4 is just as good and with added fixes and features.

What version do you want to bring it to?

What is the correct procedure for this? To downgrade an HC-800. Is it as follows?

Create USB INSTALL stick with same version that the HC-800 came from out of the box.

Backup project

Power off HC-800

Insert USB INSTALL stick

Power on HC-800

Remove USB stick

Again, let's clarify that a USB restore AND/OR a USB install stick will not work on an HC800.

Again, let's clarify that a USB restore AND/OR a USB install stick will not work on an HC800.

Actually, the restore stick will not work on the 800 (or the 250, or the v2's of the 200 and 300) - install (which really should be called update) stick WILL work (assuming your current version isn't 2.0.x) to UPDATE the controller, though it won't do a thing to factory restore or roll-back any controller.

• 1 year later...

Backup project

Power off HC-800

Insert USB INSTALL stick

Power on HC-800

Remove USB stick

This is not how the install/update USB stick works. The USB update is designed for systems without Internet access. The project is up and running, but no Internet. You download the update information to the USB stick off-site (use the USB Installer utility to create an update stick), plug it in to the controller running Director, connect with Composer and open Update Manager. Now you can do an a system update without Internet, Update Manager will get the info from the USB stick.

• 4 years later...

I'm having a similar issue and would appreciate any help.

I tried streaming audio to one of the Spotify Connects ran by my HC-800 last night and couldn't get it to work, but other audio sources worked fine.  I restarted the HC-800 using the System Manager in Composer and I haven't been able to get it to come back since.  I've connected the controller to a TV but nothing shows, even after trying a factory reset.  The Link light blinks for a bit and then stops, and I can't see the controller on the network or in Composer.

I've built a few desktops, but I'm a little confused with the drive in the HC-800.  Where is it, and what type of drive is it?  Please see the attached picture of my controller.  I'm assuming it's the device on the bottom left but I want to be sure.  I've read a few posts saying people plugged them into their computers like it was an easy swap.  I have access to another HC-800 and will hopefully be able to clone its drive, but I need to make sure I have a computer that can connect to both drives first.

Also, am I correct that I'll need a drive the exact same size as the drive I'm cloning?  If so, what are the specs of the original drive?  I'm hoping that I can find a replacement drive locally.  Going even a day without music isn't fun.

Any help is appreciated!

15630580877132579982371757345091.jpg

5 hours ago, burowyako said:

I'm having a similar issue and would appreciate any help.

I tried streaming audio to one of the Spotify Connects ran by my HC-800 last night and couldn't get it to work, but other audio sources worked fine.  I restarted the HC-800 using the System Manager in Composer and I haven't been able to get it to come back since.  I've connected the controller to a TV but nothing shows, even after trying a factory reset.  The Link light blinks for a bit and then stops, and I can't see the controller on the network or in Composer.

I've built a few desktops, but I'm a little confused with the drive in the HC-800.  Where is it, and what type of drive is it?  Please see the attached picture of my controller.  I'm assuming it's the device on the bottom left but I want to be sure.  I've read a few posts saying people plugged them into their computers like it was an easy swap.  I have access to another HC-800 and will hopefully be able to clone its drive, but I need to make sure I have a computer that can connect to both drives first.

Also, am I correct that I'll need a drive the exact same size as the drive I'm cloning?  If so, what are the specs of the original drive?  I'm hoping that I can find a replacement drive locally.  Going even a day without music isn't fun.

Any help is appreciated!

15630580877132579982371757345091.jpg

i think its a 16 GB ssd. look at the label on the ssd to the right of the cmos battery.

i made an img my hc800 SSD if you need a copy.

51 minutes ago, jackstiffer said:

i think its a 16 GB ssd. look at the label on the ssd to the right of the cmos battery.

i made an img my hc800 SSD if you need a copy.

Thank you for your reply.

It looks like mine is an 8GB drive.  This is an mSATA drive, right?  If so, I don't have a computer that takes this type of drive as my new one takes the M.2 type.  Do you think I'm good to buy an mSATA USB adapter and then flash the image?  Does the drive need to be the same size as the original to flash the image?  Any recommendations for a drive?  I'm fine to buy a bigger one though it isn't needed.  I doubt that I'll be able to find a drive that small.

I will gladly take the image if you're offering it.  Thank you very much!  I've only done a few clones in my past so I'm not sure how to flash the image.  Any pointers and help are appreciated!

I might be able to get a drive and adapter delivered tomorrow (Sunday) via Amazon Same-day Delivery.  I'd love to get it up and running again.  I came home to a dark house tonight without the front lights on.  It's amazing how much stuff in the house doesn't work when the controller is down.

I should add that it's just a guess that the drive is bad.  The unit powers on, the LAN port shows a connection but the Link light on the front blinks after a reboot and then goes dark.  I'm hoping that something else didn't go wrong with it.  As much as I'd like to upgrade, my wallet is saying otherwise.

Please let me know your thoughts.  Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, burowyako said:

Thank you for your reply.

It looks like mine is an 8GB drive.  This is an mSATA drive, right?  If so, I don't have a computer that takes this type of drive as my new one takes the M.2 type.  Do you think I'm good to buy an mSATA USB adapter and then flash the image?  Does the drive need to be the same size as the original to flash the image?  Any recommendations for a drive?  I'm fine to buy a bigger one though it isn't needed.  I doubt that I'll be able to find a drive that small.

I will gladly take the image if you're offering it.  Thank you very much!  I've only done a few clones in my past so I'm not sure how to flash the image.  Any pointers and help are appreciated!

I might be able to get a drive and adapter delivered tomorrow (Sunday) via Amazon Same-day Delivery.  I'd love to get it up and running again.  I came home to a dark house tonight without the front lights on.  It's amazing how much stuff in the house doesn't work when the controller is down.

I should add that it's just a guess that the drive is bad.  The unit powers on, the LAN port shows a connection but the Link light on the front blinks after a reboot and then goes dark.  I'm hoping that something else didn't go wrong with it.  As much as I'd like to upgrade, my wallet is saying otherwise.

Please let me know your thoughts.  Thanks again!

its a normal sata drive. i can no confirm if it has to be the same size drive. i have replaced the sd card on a hc250 with a larger one with no issue. pm me your email so i can send you the img.

Unfortunately, no luck.  With the help of @jackstiffer, I flashed an HC-800 image to a new drive, put it in the HC-800, tried a factory reset, and nothing.  The Link light blinks a few times, the Data light blinks once, and then nothing happens.

I was certain that the new drive would fix it, especially since the old drive wasn't recognized when I connected it to my PC but the new drive came up as a new device with the same USB adapter.

Any other thoughts before I throw in the towel?  I'd really prefer to go the sub-$100 route instead of getting a new controller, especially since I'll need the EA-5.  This HC-800 is only four years old.  I'm really curious what went out on it.

1 hour ago, burowyako said:

Unfortunately, no luck.  With the help of @jackstiffer, I flashed an HC-800 image to a new drive, put it in the HC-800, tried a factory reset, and nothing.  The Link light blinks a few times, the Data light blinks once, and then nothing happens.

I was certain that the new drive would fix it, especially since the old drive wasn't recognized when I connected it to my PC but the new drive came up as a new device with the same USB adapter.

Any other thoughts before I throw in the towel?  I'd really prefer to go the sub-$100 route instead of getting a new controller, especially since I'll need the EA-5.  This HC-800 is only four years old.  I'm really curious what went out on it.

2 options really not much out there, RMA to C4, I have no idea what the cost would be or eBay one as low as $200 but you will need to be patient to get the number you want.  I got a replacement one just in case for $260 barely used ... I have no preference yet to update now to EA, I need to wait and see where the acquisition will take C4 to then will decide on my next $$$ refresh cycle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.