C4 Forums | Control4

CONTROL4 Dimmers work as 3 way switch?

rf5000

16 hours ago, Axay said:

Hello everyone, 

I have Control4 dimmer and 6- keypad. One box has line with 3 way regular switch and other box has other 3 way switch with load. Which box should I install dimmer and keypad. Also I have Red, white, yellow, green and black cable on both. How to connect them?

Thank you

Be careful here, as this is high voltage electrical. The black goes to hot, white to neutral and red to load. Typically the extra wire (red) in the 3 way setup is used to pass power or load between the locations to either the keypad, power the load or move the load to the location you want the dimmer in.

If you're not confident in high voltage electrical work, hire a dealer to do the install. If you wire it wrong at best you ruin the equipment, at worst - well, it COULD be really bad.

17 hours ago, Axay said:

Hello everyone, 

I have Control4 dimmer and 6- keypad. One box has line with 3 way regular switch and other box has other 3 way switch with load. Which box should I install dimmer and keypad. Also I have Red, white, yellow, green and black cable on both. How to connect them?

Thank you

The switch should be in the box where the load wire is located. The keypad in the other box.

If you're asking questions about standard electrical wiring I highly suggest you hire an electrician.

2 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

Dimmer has to go on the side that has power coming into the box.  

Jeff

This is wrong or just a poor way to describe it.

Power is going into both boxes. It's the load wire that determines where the switch/dimmer goes, and the keypad goes into the opposite box.

21 minutes ago, EverAction said:

This is wrong or just a poor way to describe it.

Power is going into both boxes. It's the load wire that determines where the switch/dimmer goes, and the keypad goes into the opposite box.

This is also a poor way to describe it. 

Depending on how the 3 way is wired, power can be in one box, load in the other, or both can be in the same box. Power can also come in at the light leaving you without a neutral at either box. 

As long as power comes to one of the boxes, you can put the dimmer in either box. You can easily send the load or power to the box you want using the travelers. 

3 minutes ago, Brownbatsbreath said:

This is also a poor way to describe it. 

Depending on how the 3 way is wired, power can be in one box, load in the other, or both can be in the same box. Power can also come in at the light leaving you without a neutral at either box. 

As long as power comes to one of the boxes, you can put the dimmer in either box. You can easily send the load or power to the box you want using the travelers. 

Mine is the basic, easiest explanation trying to not confuse the DIYer who shouldn't be playing with electricity.

Yes to everything you said. :)

3 hours ago, EverAction said:

Mine is the basic, easiest explanation trying to not confuse the DIYer who shouldn't be playing with electricity.

Yes to everything you said. :)

I'll take it a step further, depending on the wiring available in each box, any possible combination of dimmer and keypad may be possible, or impossible.

The basic, easiest way to explain it to not confuse a DIYer who sghouldn't be playing with electricity is saying that electricity can kill you or burn your house down and you need to get someone in that does know how to work with it on site, as per the first reply.

• 10 months later...

I have just wired up two seperate three-way switched circuits.  I used two of the new "Essentials" dimmers on one circuit, and it seems to working be fine. By fine, I mean, either switch can be used to turn on/off/dim the load, so it works like any 3-way switch would.

On the other circuit, I had only one Essential dimmer, and one "regular" C4 dimmer (the more expensive one they've been selling for years), so I wired them the same way I wired the other circuit.  I used the travel wire that was already part of circuit (I was replacing some older Lutron switches) to wire them both together.   I am getting some weird behavior.  I haven't seen a specific pattern, but neither seem to be able to turn the lights on/off reliably.   

Is this because I wired them wrong?  Is there an incompatibility between the two types of switches?  Give that they are C4,  can't I just wired one to the load and marry the other one to the switch with the load on it?  In other words, just use the software to make a 3-way switch?

I am fairly confused here.  Any help would be most appreciated.  

Control4 dimmers (or switches), NON of them, can be used as a 3 way switch in the traditional sense.

Not sure what you did to 'make it work' on the other one, but hardware wise this is NOT an option.

That's why there are AUX keypads (specific to the Essential or 'gen3' devices) OR you can use a regular dimmer/switch but not use it's traveler out and program it s a keypad.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.