C4 Forums | Control4

Running Composer HE on a Macintosh

AVLNC

I have been lurking here for a number of months as I approached my installation. I will try to post more about it later. I am going to get Composer HE, and I use a Macintosh (MBP). Any thoughts about whether it would be better to run Composer using BootCamp or using Parallels? I have many more questions, but right now this one is most pressing. Thanks for any help.

Any thoughts about whether to use BootCamp which would require me to re-boot and only use Composer at discrete times or to use Parallels which can run in the background continuously. Also, when you say that many others are doing this, do you mean with BootCamp, with Parallels, or with both? I would probably prefer Parallels if I were relatively sure that it would work without problems. Thanks for the help.

I'm not a mac person, so this could be incorrect, but:

It should work either way, it's just up to you to determine how often you'll be running Composer HE, and whether it's worth rebooting to do just that.

Personally, I run Windows and Composer in a VM, (VMWare or qemu) more like parallels, when I run it on my Linux machine, only because rebooting is a major pain, and the slight slowdown is not all that noticeable.

RyanE

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Currently I know of no plans for Composer (HE or ME) to be anything other than Windows.

Sorry.

RyanE

Ryan. Why not? Doesn't Home edition run under Linux? I thought Linux was pretty close to OSX....

In any case surely there is more than enough evidence that Mac's feature time and again with users on this forum (5 pages of threads come up with a search on "mac")

Currently I know of no plans for Composer (HE or ME) to be anything other than Windows.

Sorry.

RyanE

Ryan. Why not?

Time. Money. And a lot of other things in the queue right now that you would rather have (you know, like 2.0 :) ). He's not saying that it won't ever happen, just that it's not a priority to appease a comparitvely small user base. Linux/Mac is a small percentage of the consumer pc market, HA is a small percentage of overall CE market, so the Linux/Mac segment of the HA market...well you get the drift :)

Codeman...I think you have missed my post on this:

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=3917

..why aren't they also releasing a software controller?

..Not saying they aren't thinking Mac! :)

Perhaps a poll should be done on the primary computer platform used by forum members...mac vs linux vs windows...

The overall market might be irrelevant....Mac users might be more inclined to be C4 customers...just a thought :D

Maybee it is a user base worth marketing too: even if it IS "small". Vocal, passionate, brand loyal and one happy to spend money :lol:

No, I didn't miss your other thread, I just didn't feel like double-posting.

I think you may have missed the point that C4 (or any other company) can only do *so much* at any given time, especially given the economy. Right now they are very busy with 2.0. We know that 2.0 is flash based. We know that opens up the opportunity for a *consistent GUI* to come across to the computer platform (os agnostic), should they decide to implement it. The same would ring true for Composer software. But seriously, 91.65% of the market is Windows.

(http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10 ). You go for the common denominator, and branch out when resources allow.

Having seen the explosion (litearally) of third party partner growth this year at CES and CEDIA, things are moving along pretty positively. I think we'll all be happy with what 2.0+ brings in the coming years.

We know that opens up the opportunity for a *consistent GUI* to come across to the computer platform (os agnostic), should they decide to implement it. The same would ring true for Composer software. But seriously, 91.65% of the market is Windows.

(http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10 ). . I think we'll all be happy with what 2.0+ brings in the coming years.

Great link Cody! Is there also a pie chart for market share in the high networth household (rather than corporate)...mmm...wonder what that would be...

I totally agree re 2.0...Bring it on! :D:D:D

I also run ComposerPro on Windows XP running under VirtualBox (on a Linux host).

Works fine. No need for a native Linux port of ComposerPro, which is still (regardless of HE and ME) mainly used for dealer installs.

Yes, it would be nice to have it be cross-platform, and native on the Mac, but with the virtualization options that are now all the rage, it's less of an issue.

As far as your other post, no matter who you heard it from, until it's a released product, it's unsubstantiated vaporware.

RyanE

• 1 year later...

Archived