C4 Forums | Control4

A more cost effective video switcher?

pebaugh

My first install will entail a component video switcher of which I had researched the Extron, Knox and Key Digital. I sent inquiries to both Knox and Extron about buying direct yet Knox didn't respond and

Extron e-mailed to buy it from an existing dealer! Wow, I didn't think business was that good for these companies to shoo away and dismiss customers. My needs are for an 8 input, 4 output device of which an 8x8 would have covered.

Does anyone have any good sources or contacts on video switchers ie to give a good price. I currently intend to buy the KD unit from my AVAD supplier which is an 8x6 unit for about $2300 and a 8x3 for $960. I kept seeing costs for the Extron and Knox 8x8 for about $3600-$3800. They were all through distribution so do not know if these are competitive. With what I see on prices, I will stick with the KD if the 8x6 covers the needs.

Anyone have some data on these and what you think about performance and price?

I know this is not the most "Industrial Solution" but I recently purchased one of these component video switches (4x2) For $130 and it works awesome.

It works perfectly with C4 and the resolution looks awesome. We are using it everyday in our showroom.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=3103&sku=40020

They are even releasing one on the 3rd of January that switches Digital Audio too.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=3103&sku=41107

Me - I'm looking for a way to modulate HDTV. We've done a ton of modulated installs over the years, and in retro-fit homes, it's not so easy to move CAT5 around. I'm really really surprised that no one has come out with HDTV modulation yet.

Thanks guys, I had used a couple of CablestoGo 4x2's last year for a bar A/V job and they work well. I assume you could connect the inputs together with a Y-cable and with the IR control turn 2 of them into a $260 4x4 matrix switch for the smaller installs. This is the route that Key Digital has taken by combining 2- of their 8x3's into a 8x6 yet for $1900.

Archived