C4 Forums | Control4

Sony DVP-CX995V

dburton

Another question - the DVP-CX995V, comes with a remote. You can scan the folders of DVDs and select to play one, using the remote. It has a FOLDER key. Can the C4 remote replace the Sony remote?

C4 can and will work with the non rs232 sony if you are a diy guy and willing to scan in in the title and cover art with new dvds. I have installed 4 HTC's with older sony changers including the 875p and the 985 and they work 100% perfectly IF you set the driver to leave the changer on all of the time. My personal system has had a 875p in it for 4 months or so and it has not selected the wrong title yet(using the C4 front end for selection - the sony disc explorer on these changers is a turd). I have even tweaked the macro so that when you select a movie it pulls up the title screen directly and skips the warnings on all dvds that will allow it.

To answer the other questions the dvd selection on the C4 interface is the same as the rs232 one ( cover art and all ) and yes, the c4 remote will work the changer, although you wont need the folder button or any of that other crap anyway.

If you have a dvd changer and a movie collection of any size at all it is worth the cost of a HTC just to manage your dvd collection!

C4 can and will work with the non rs232 sony if you are a diy guy and willing to scan in in the title and cover art with new dvds.

Yes / no - just entering it in by hand in the Composer is enough - it goes out to the internet to get the cover art just the same as it would with the 777.

IF you set the driver to leave the changer on all of the time.

Again - Yes / no... we wrote the driver from scratch and use it here with 9 customers and NONE of them have to keep the unit on 100% of the time. Do realize our macro to turn the unit on takes about 30 seconds to execute... but at least the unit doesn't have to remain on all the time.

I have even tweaked the macro so that when you select a movie it pulls up the title screen directly and skips the warnings on all dvds that will allow it.

I'd like to know how you did that - I'd LOVE to be able to pull all that crap out and have it drop right to the menu. I've tried the old tricks, but 1/2 the new movies coming out into the market today won't allow them to work (like stop stop play) as the license screens no longer let you hit ANY keys except power off (stop gives an error).

Again - Yes / no... we wrote the driver from scratch and use it here with 9 customers and NONE of them have to keep the unit on 100% of the time. Do realize our macro to turn the unit on takes about 30 seconds to execute... but at least the unit doesn't have to remain on all the time.

Would you mind posting your work for everyone in the Drivers Forum, Shawn? That would be awesome. Thank you.

Just uploaded - as you requested! :) I haven't checked out C4's new version of this - which I'm guessing the blended our driver with theirs... they asked us for a copy of it back in November as they originally stated there was no way to select a disc with descrete commands (we proved them wrong). :) So they may have made some changes that improved this - but we haven't tested it ("if it isn't broke - don't fix it" theorey).

Like I said it works with all of the movies that will allow it, not all.

Would you mind posting your macro or spelling it out for us as to how you are doing it please? Is it the STOP STOP PLAY?

Just uploaded - as you requested! :) I haven't checked out C4's new version of this - which I'm guessing the blended our driver with theirs... they asked us for a copy of it back in November as they originally stated there was no way to select a disc with descrete commands (we proved them wrong). :) So they may have made some changes that improved this - but we haven't tested it ("if it isn't broke - don't fix it" theorey).

Thanks! great work.

Took a look at my macro, it looks like this:

folder

wait 13000 milliseconds

3 digit disc delay 500

enter

wait 3300 milliseconds

play

wait 22000 milliseconds

stop

wait 200 milliseconds

stop

wait 200 milliseconds

menu

I tried using the power on with a long delay ( to keep the machine from being on all of the time), but the macro was so long I just decided to leave the unit on always. It would be different if we were talking about an expensive piece of equipment, but for a couple of hundred bucks, what the hell.

I tried using the power on with a long delay ( to keep the machine from being on all of the time), but the macro was so long I just decided to leave the unit on always. It would be different if we were talking about an expensive piece of equipment, but for a couple of hundred bucks, what the hell.

That was never my concern - it was the fact that I couldn't control that it would always be on. What if someone walked up and turned it off? Or the power went out (even on a UPS - after an hour or two, it's going to get turned off)... then you could no longer control the system state. Too many if's... so I macro it. It's only 30 seconds, so not too bad.

I DID set it up originally, so that when someone turned ANYTHING on in the theater room, it would turn the changer on, but a bug in Director (it can't multi task IR blasts) stopped that real quick. The problem was that in my 30 second turn on command... if you pressed any devices / tried to control / talk to anything - it would "QUEUE" up that request until after the 30 second macro was done. This really upset me as I figured when someone sat down and pressed the C4 button - just turn the changer on. oh well - maybe down the road.

I tried using the power on with a long delay ( to keep the machine from being on all of the time)' date=' but the macro was so long I just decided to leave the unit on always. It would be different if we were talking about an expensive piece of equipment, but for a couple of hundred bucks, what the hell.[/quote']

That was never my concern - it was the fact that I couldn't control that it would always be on. What if someone walked up and turned it off? Or the power went out (even on a UPS - after an hour or two, it's going to get turned off)... then you could no longer control the system state. Too many if's... so I macro it. It's only 30 seconds, so not too bad.

I DID set it up originally, so that when someone turned ANYTHING on in the theater room, it would turn the changer on, but a bug in Director (it can't multi task IR blasts) stopped that real quick. The problem was that in my 30 second turn on command... if you pressed any devices / tried to control / talk to anything - it would "QUEUE" up that request until after the 30 second macro was done. This really upset me as I figured when someone sat down and pressed the C4 button - just turn the changer on. oh well - maybe down the road.

I tried this also, It's a shame it won't work. As far as power outtages, the only way I would set it up like this is when it is for someone who understands the issues we are discussing here. In your case I do understand where you are coming from. In my own system I prefer the shorter load time of the always on solution. I have also found in my system that the added stop, stop, menu at the end of the macro really helps with the timing of changing inputs on the display device, before I added it I would get a blank screen after the "your selection is loading screen" before the changer actually output a picture. Does anyone else have this issue?

I have also found in my system that the added stop, stop, menu at the end of the macro really helps with the timing of changing inputs on the display device, before I added it I would get a blank screen after the "your selection is loading screen" before the changer actually output a picture. Does anyone else have this issue?

The bug I've reported to C4 many times is that the "PLEASE WAIT WHILE YOUR SELECTION IS LOADING" screen doesn't stay up after a DVD is selected (at least not with my macro's in place) - instead, after the POWER ON command (macro) has finished executing - the C4 changes the SOURCE over to the DVD so you see it selecting the movie etc... like a ghost pressing the buttons for you. I've complained to them a few times about fixing this and it's yet to be fixed. It "IS" fixed, or I should say, it works correctly - AFTER you've watched your first movie... so afterwards, when you return the the C4 Navigator screens and go and choose a new movie to play - it'll work just fine and stay on the "PLEASE WAIT..." screen up until the movie starts playing. Oh well - my customers understand this and don't mind it. They're all just VERY happy to be rid of the Sony disc navigator interface which really stunk.

Archived