C4 Forums | Control4

TV Lockout Button

zipperman19

How could I make a button on a keypad in the kitchen disable the TVs in kids bedrooms? My only idea right now is to make a variable that the keypad toggles, and while the variable is true, every 30 seconds, it emits an TV OFF function in the desired bedrooms. Is there an easier way to do this? I'm sure someone must have done something similar in that past. What's the best way to handle this situation?

BUT - you can have an email sent to you when they "DO" unplug it - and thus ground them!! :) We've done this with timers as well... "Child's TV is aloud to be on a total of 2 hours a day" - run variables that count it up - reset it at midnight.

Video Loop as rsmout suggested would work if you have an output from the TV, that when the TV is OFF would actually stop sending a signal (most still send a tiny signal, thus why it fails most of the time). You "COULD" loop and send OFF every min. or so - but now you're really starting to go overboard, IMHO... as now you're starting to tax the system... not that I think you'll bog it down, but you'll have it checking for variables once every minute all day long... not the best idea, but it would work.

• 1 month later...

I like the idea of parental controls. However, what about devices that use battery power (like laptops). How about a way to stop video feeds to the room?

As for Internet access, there are many options to use a proxy server.

MAC OS 10.5 (Leopard) has parental controls. Windows XP (and I'm assuming Vista) has account profile settings for what time a user can log in.

How could I make a button on a keypad in the kitchen disable the TVs in kids bedrooms? My only idea right now is to make a variable that the keypad toggles, and while the variable is true, every 30 seconds, it emits an TV OFF function in the desired bedrooms. Is there an easier way to do this? I'm sure someone must have done something similar in that past. What's the best way to handle this situation?

OR you could just take the TV's out of there rooms!! /smile TV in a kids bedroom is bad idea /smile IMO!!

Scott

my kids have phones, but they're ancient, and have *dials* on them...

:)

good luck dialing with them...

RyanE

<HUMOR ON>

Dial phones. That is one way to stop the kids from making calls. I bet most kids don't even know how to use a dial phone. ;) ;) ;)

Perhaps, rather than putting a kill switch on the TV you could just give them a TV with a dial and no remote. ;) ;) ;)

<HUMOR OFF>

just need some programming that will only allow the history channel or nova.

you could even use a variable here too... :o) when on the history channel set to true

if its false change the channel to...

then set the variable on a schedule...oh you all are giving me evil ideas

• 1 month later...

I have done this in a crude fashion. I have a variable "Disallow Bedroom TV" that is controlled by a custom button (True or False). Then in programming, whenever control 4 gets a user command for that Bedroom to turn the TV on (either check the room event variable "When Bedroom power_ state variable changes" to on or, in my case, since my TVs are all controlled by IR flashers from the MC or HTC, I check the TV event "When Bedroom TV is turned on") and the Disallow variable is true, I will turn the room off either immediatly or after a minute delay to let the TV at least come on for a minute. The kids now know that it is fruitless to continue to turn the tv on anymore as it will turn off everytime they try untill I reset that Disallow variable. (The custom button that controls the Disallow variable is only found in the Master bedroom and is labeled something unrelated to TVs as to hide its function from my smarter kids that might try to figure it out)

I have done this in a crude fashion. I have a variable "Disallow Bedroom TV" that is controlled by a custom button (True or False). Then in programming, whenever control 4 gets a user command for that Bedroom to turn the TV on (either check the room event variable "When Bedroom power_ state variable changes" to on or, in my case, since my TVs are all controlled by IR flashers from the MC or HTC, I check the TV event "When Bedroom TV is turned on") and the Disallow variable is true, I will turn the room off either immediatly or after a minute delay to let the TV at least come on for a minute. The kids now know that it is fruitless to continue to turn the tv on anymore as it will turn off everytime they try untill I reset that Disallow variable. (The custom button that controls the Disallow variable is only found in the Master bedroom and is labeled something unrelated to TVs as to hide its function from my smarter kids that might try to figure it out)

This is an interesting solution. I have an idea for an enhancement. If the disallow TV variable is set you could prevent the system from even sending the command to turn on the TV. You could also flash the lights if they try to turn on the TV. Sort of put the fear into them. :D

So the kids haven't figured out how to operate the TV the old fashioned way? With the power button and channel up/down yet. :D If they save up all there allowance they can buy a cheap universal remote. :D

This is an interesting solution. I have an idea for an enhancement. If the disallow TV variable is set you could prevent the system from even sending the command to turn on the TV. You could also flash the lights if they try to turn on the TV. Sort of put the fear into them. :D

So the kids haven't figured out how to operate the TV the old fashioned way? With the power button and channel up/down yet. :D If they save up all there allowance they can buy a cheap universal remote. :D

I have not found a way to stop the system from sending the command to turn the TV on.

If the kids turned on the TV the old fashion way they would have no sound as the sound in each room is through in ceiling speakers controlled by Control 4. There is no sound (only video) to the TV itself.

I don't give them any allowance:)

• 4 weeks later...

one of you guys is onto something, and i will try it! put a relay on the incoming signal to the tv, maybe on tht ir emmiter it self, or on the incoming composite signal. put it somewhere on the touch where they'll never look, somewhere where only the owner will find it. it will disable the tv, make it useless. i think i will try this on phones in kids bedrooms where i use elan, the phone only works for intercom, put the relay one the ring wire in the wall box!!!!! dude you guys are really onto something here!

i posted that while i was thinking, if you are using elan com2 you can run the kids phone through the relay on the com2 or a controller so it only comes on when the intercom turns on, also you can run the tv's ir, the center of a composite cable, or the negative of a speaker wire through a relay on a controller to act as a kill switch

• 4 weeks later...

How about using an Outlet Switch to control the power to a RF Modulator connected to the kids TV.

The second run of coax cable I have wired around the house is a feed off a modulator connected to my Rotel's Zone 2 video/audio output, without the modulator and the Rotel's Zone2 being on you can't get any stations, power on/off and change channels all you want.

Byron

• 2 weeks later...

I have programmed a 6 button switch for a hotel so that once they have chosen the lighting scene and adjusted the volume, the user presses and holds button 6 which locks down the keypad so that none of the keys perform any function and changes the colours of all the keys to black so that it doesn't look exciting to children in the restaurant. If the lighting needs adjusting, the user simply presses and holds 6 again which restores all the buttons to their relevant colours.

Archived