C4 Forums | Control4

Driver News: Recluse AV - Oppo BDP-103/BDP-105 driver

alanchow

Recluse%20AV%20black%20logo.png

Recluse AV –Oppo BDP-10X Driver

The Recluse AV Oppo BDP-10X driver for Control4 offers full 2 way feedback over the bluray player including power, transport, disc and audio type feedback. The Oppo BDP-10X bluray player contains a superb digital to audio converter. We have created the BDP-10X driver to maximise the use of the Oppo player within a control4 system expanding it from just a bluray player to enable pre-amplifier functionality with line level volume control and input switching.

Features:

* RS232 based communications

* Controls – Play, Pause, Stop, FFW, RWD, Skip Next, Skip Prev, Up, Down, Left, Right, Select, Menu, Page up, Page Down, Number Keys

* Assignable Buttons for non intuitive buttons - Pop-up Menu, Top Menu, Subtitle, Audio Track, Source, Dim Front Panel, Goto, Subtitle Shift,PIP, Clear, Home, Angle, Zoom, AB Replay, 2nd Audio, Repeat, Subtitle Shift, Setup, Switch Resolution, Option, 3D Menu, Picture Adjustment, Launch Netflix, Launch Youtube, Launch, Vudu, Launch Pandora, Launch FilmFresh, Launch Picasa, Launch Rhapsody, Launch CinemaNow

* Audio End-Point assignment for volume up/down/mute functionality including discrete volume control

* Volume level feedback when used as an end-point

* Input switching for all inputs - MHL/HDMI front, HDMI rear, HDMI OUT 1 ARC, HDMI OUT 2 ARC, (USB Audio, Digital Optical, Digital Coaxial available on BDP-105 only).

* Jump to chapter ability within programming

* Ability to change resolutions within programming

* Ability to Set Repeat/Shuffle within programming

* Ability to launch applications through programming

2 way feedback over the following:

* Power On / Off, Play, Pause, Stop

* Tray State – Open, Close, Loading, Empty

* Disc Type – Blu-ray, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, SACD, CDDA, HDCD, DATA, VCD, SVCD

* Audio Type – Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS-HD, Master Audio, LPCM, MPEG Audio, CD Audio

* Home menu started.

* Media Center started.

DRIVER SPECIFIC FAQ

Can you give us some examples of how we could use this driver?

You can now with a press of an eject or power button on the Oppo turn on the system with the player as the source, dim lights,close curtains, etc.

Alternatively the opposite can happen. Say you have finished watching a movie. You then grab the disc out of the tray. Press the power button the turn the player off and have the whole av system turn off, curtains open, etc.

Are there any other cool things we can do with this driver?

As this driver gives full two way feedback about the disc / audio type we can turn the system on to 2 channel mode or a specific surround mode based upon the audio type. We can also turn the system to audio only or video modes (eg have the receive on only or have the tv on as well).

This driver can also make use of the device's pre-amplifier and switching capabilities. You can now utilise the oppo units for their superb DACs within a Control4 system. Run out of HDMI ports? No problem, you can route devices through the HDMI input at the rear and at the front.

I bought a licence for the older Recluse AV Oppo BDP-93 driver. Do i get a free upgrade?

Although we have spent alot of time developing this driver we feel that we should reward our loyal customers. As such we have decided that yes all customers who have bought a BDP-93 driver off us will not need to purchase another licence.

The Oppo players have an ios/android app now. What haven't you made an IP driver for it?

Oppo have only officially published the rs232 protocol. We have attempted to find information in regards to connectivity and communication via IP however Oppo have, at this stage, kept it closed to 3rd party developers. As such we will only stick to their published protocol to ensure that your system will be stable.

The driver is available for immediate purchase through your Control4 dealer.

Ok, so no time limit on those of us on the fence if we are going to upgrade our Oppo or not if we wait until later to try to get the "free" upgrade? There are some reasons not to upgrade the Oppo, besides the obvious ones.

Right, sorry for being obtuse. Want to make sure if I decide to upgrade Oppo in 2 years (I already own your driver) I can still get driver upgrade for free.

Neither here nor there, but:

1) it isn't that compelling of an upgrade

2) I have had the 93 less than a year

3) Not sure yet what to make of Cinavia copy protection in the new boxes

• 1 year later...

Is anybody manning the ship at Recluse AV these days?  Shifted load (changed controllers) from an 800 I have instead of my 1000 because of issues.  My dealer has been waiting over 2 weeks for them to switch the license.  I don't know how hard he has pinged them, but this should be as simple as it comes.  I did originally buy the driver from a different dealer, but had to be rescued.

This was kind of my fear messing with switching from the 1000 before I had to.  I guess better to find out what the process is now rather than later.  EV stuff was switched without a hitch.

This is the kind of stuff that gives the dealer model a bad name.

I don't know what my dealer has done (he was handling all of it), but this isn't his first rodeo.  I went ahead and asked on the RecluseAV Facebook page what might be going on and they already responded back that they had no record of the request...might be on the right track now I hope.

Unfortunately i have nothing to do with Recluse anymore.  Someone else has taken over my responsibilities there.  Must admit the level of service seems to have gone down the drain from what you guys are saying.

On one hand you don't want EV to have a monopoly, but on the other hand you deal with stuff like this.  I think the happy medium is what some driver developers seem to be doing with offloading some of it to EV but still making their own drivers.  Still should be able to move a driver without the original developer involvement.  C4 should work on some type of system to allow them to be the keymaster.

Oh, and far as trying to limit driver purchases to EV as much as possible--they don't make an Oppo serial driver.  I don't think anybody else does.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finally got the new license yesterday.  Silly to say but you may want to plan weeks ahead if you deal with Recluse through e-mail.  Maybe phone works better, but my pain level never got high enough to try a phone call to Australia.

I would think with the push to 800 controllers many would be in the same boat.

I guess the other moral of the story may be to always have IR available as a backup?

• 5 months later...

Thought I would post here since the Oppo 93 thread is really ancient compared to this one.  I'm getting close to being pushed over the edge by Disney's stupidity with Blu-ray 3D and not releasing them in the US.  Its also hit and miss if the ones you can get from the UK are Region A or not.

On top of that, its been pretty much confirmed that there will be no 4K 3D included in the upcoming UHD Blu-ray spec.

So I'm looking at the standard region-free kit that bluraychip.dk has sold for a while, since 3D Blu-ray is about as good as it will get for disc-based media and this player might last me much longer than I thought it would originally.

On the sales bluraychip.dk page, it says it can be controlled through an RS-232 connection.

I have no idea how necessary that is, but if it is helpful, I'm sure I can't count on Recluse to change anything in the driver if it needs a change to work.

So long story short, anybody done this upgrade/hack, and any glitches using it with the C4 serial driver from Recluse?

Turls... maybe try asking these guys: http://www.oppodigital.com.au/

They are the local Aussie Oppo Distributor and ?sell/ definitely used to sell a Region free kit. Not sure if they still do or if it's the same one you are looking at.

Anyway they might know given they are Aussie, Recluse is Aussie and they are pretty used to Oppo's in HA environments...

Archived