C4 Forums | Control4

Whats the coolest thing you did with your alarm sytem and control4

louisraza1

Here are a few we have:

- System auto arms at 11:00 pm.

- multiple emails sent via 4site when alarm is activated.

- lights programmed to rapidly blink throughout house except master bedroom in event alarm triggered during night.

WOL and shutdown my PC based server

Perform TTS based announcements dependant on the person who disarm/armed it

Outputs integrated for control over doors / garage roller in home.

Email on disarm/arm/alarm ( I also get a phone call from the system but that is the alarm panel itself)

Email on phone call (m1 has a function that detects rings)

Email on doorbell

Email on power loss (battery backup on equipment)

Sensor based occupancy lighting on garage roller reed switch and PIRs.

you got to be home before 11:00 or you will have the police to your house haha ! i really like the idea that when the alarm triggered during the night all lights goes on or flashe !

Here are a few we have:

- System auto arms at 11:00 pm.

- multiple emails sent via 4site when alarm is activated.

- lights programmed to rapidly blink throughout house except master bedroom in event alarm triggered during night.

how much eamil you receive during a day ???

Email on disarm/arm/alarm ( I also get a phone call from the system but that is the alarm panel itself)

Email on doorbell

how much eamil you receive during a day ???

Email on doorbell

Not that many from the house. Usually only when my wife army's or disarm's. don't get many calls on the landline or power outages so its ok.

People don't really press my doorbell that often either

I am reassured. I thought you were getting about 30 messages a day, or some things like that. You needed what exactly to connect the control4 with the doorbell to receive a txt message or email ??

You can do it multiple ways. The way i did it is connect the doorbell directly into the contact/input of the security panel. You can also use control4 contacts or any other contacts inputted into Control4. However note that i am using my speakers to output the doorbell sound. If you want a chime then you will need to either get an ELK doorbell kit or use a relay out of the control system into the chime.

I have mine do some simple things like:

1. Auto Stay mode at 10PM Mon - Thurs; Fri-Sun @ 2AM. We have late night parties.

2. When set to Away, turn off all TVs and interior lights except for hallway. If night, turn on porch light if not already on.

3. When alarm is triggered, I receive an email, text, and push notification. I also get the same if motion is detected when in Away or Stay mode. I like to know what's about to happen before it happens.

4. While in Stay mode, if night, if motion is detected in the backyard by my fence door, pause the TV and display camera on TV and touch panels.

Next step is to add audio announcements to play dogs barking when the alarm is triggered. May be a shotgun re-loading. I live in Texas. We love our guns!!!

1. announce when the system arms (in case you are in the house so yu can get out or turn it off before it fully arms.)

2. announce when it disarms

3. lower inside blinds when it is armed so that the house will not be able to be looked into.

4. make all blinds so that they do not go up or down when the house is armed so that they don't trigger motion detectors.

5. when the house is armed announcements are played at front door on motion and when door bell is rung indicating that we are not at home and the alarm is on

6. turn off waterfalls and fountains as they don't need to run when we are gone

7. put house into vacation mode for thermostats - when alarm goes off they return to normal

8. set away mode for the FLO LOGIC so that if there is a water leak it can only leak for one minute

9. note cameras will take pictures of any visitors that I have

10. house sends me an email when someone comes to the front door and the alarm is on - I can then log in remotely to the cameras and view who it was that came to the door

11. since I can test for home or away alarm mode some things are different in armed stay vs armed away

12. if fire sensors are set off or carbon monoxide sensors then all lights come on and announcement is made

13. weather radio is set up so taht any NOAA weather alerts for our immediate area turn on speakers in house and play the alert at standard volume (a bit irritating during tornado season in texas - but hey - what good is a safe room if you sleep through the tornado/

14. reset all variables that are used when we are home - set variable to let the house know that the alarm is on - that way when the alarm goes off and a "time" for a schedule is missed it can still fire - for example - if the blinds go down at sunset and up at sunrise. If you come home at 7:05 AM (the blinds are down) and you turn off the alarm - without this variable you have missed the "go up" command and they stay down all day until you manually make them go up. With this variable you can say - if they are supposed to be up and the alarm goes off then make them go up.

15. turn off any auto/video that is active so that they don't stay on while away

16. lock all unlocked doors

17. close all windows that are electrified

18. note the pistol pad (www.pistolpad.com) is automatically armed so that if it is removed it sends a silent alarm to the police that a gun has been deployed at the residence.

19. any windows not closed are announced so that they can be closed manually (for non-electrified windows)

20. if the alarm on the septic tank fires it sends me an email instead of announcing in the house (this is for a malfunction in the septic system) - yes - the announcement is "tasteful" and cryptic in the house so that during a party it would not announce "the septic..." grin

21. all lights that are not supposed to be on are turned off.

22. if the gas lights on loggia are on it announces that they are on and turns them off

23. hot tub goes into vacation mode (runs for a shorter period of time) if the alarm has been on for more than 24 hours

24. the solar screens do not come down on the loggia while we are away

That is the list that comes to mind right off - I might remember more later.

Bill

Use your speaker is a good idea and better than a standart doorbell that nobody ear it when a door is closed.

I am reassured. I thought you were getting about 30 messages a day' date=' or some things like that. You needed what exactly to connect the control4 with the doorbell to receive a txt message or email ??[/quote']

You can do it multiple ways. The way i did it is connect the doorbell directly into the contact/input of the security panel. You can also use control4 contacts or any other contacts inputted into Control4. However note that i am using my speakers to output the doorbell sound. If you want a chime then you will need to either get an ELK doorbell kit or use a relay out of the control system into the chime.

Thats really impressive texasbill !!! I like this point sally: 2. When set to Away, turn off all TVs and interior lights except for hallway

Texasbill . I never heard about hotub with control4 ?? Did you connect it by serial ? Ip ?

Controlling it with serial interface.

Bill

thats a great idea ! that one I had never thought . i will write it on a piece of paper to dot it at my home ! You guys have great idea.

I have the top LED's in keypads by all my exit doors stay green when alarm is off, red when alarm is armed. That way someone doesn't go outside if alarm is in stay mode, etc. Simple but it works.

I have the top LED's in keypads by all my exit doors stay green when alarm is off, red when alarm is armed. That way someone doesn't go outside if alarm is in stay mode, etc. Simple but it works.

I have certain LED's stay green when all doors/windows are shut and pink if something is open. This is good so you can tell from any room if something is open before you get to the alarm keypad on your way out.

I have the top LED's in keypads by all my exit doors stay green when alarm is off' date=' red when alarm is armed. That way someone doesn't go outside if alarm is in stay mode, etc. Simple but it works.[/quote']

I have certain LED's stay green when all doors/windows are shut and pink if something is open. This is good so you can tell from any room if something is open before you get to the alarm keypad on your way out.

Good stuff - plagiarizing this.

Bill

On my alarm system I have the following programming:

1) Send a direct message on Twitter to me when alarm arms and disarms

2) Send direct message on Twitter to me when any room is invaded when the alarm is armed

3) Send sms message on my phone when room is invaded when the alarm is armed

Besides the ones already listed I use those quick key pad press "like 0-0, 0-1, etc." to trigger lighting scenes. makes it pretty easy for when i quickly disarm my system but want a specific scene to trigger. There are some other cool ones I'll be putting on my how to with Composer HE.

For now I have my Security Navigation How To up @

http://joewhitaker.ielectronics.com/2013/02/control4-how-to-use-security-security.html

thanks for the links i never saw this page !

Besides the ones already listed I use those quick key pad press "like 0-0, 0-1, etc." to trigger lighting scenes. makes it pretty easy for when i quickly disarm my system but want a specific scene to trigger. There are some other cool ones I'll be putting on my how to with Composer HE.

http://joewhitaker.ielectronics.com/2013/02/control4-how-to-use-security-security.html

is it the same things with a g/e nx8 panel and a virtual keyboad ??

Archived