C4 Forums | Control4

Director for PC

zipperman19

I wish they gave us the option to install director onto a pc. I would build a really quick server with multiple processors and lots of ram for around $1500. There's no reason technical reason that we shouldn't be able to because this is essentially what the HC-1000 does. It should be able to run on any Linux PC (maybe a custom distro) and use TCP/IP to communicate with devices. It would use the zigbee server of another C4 controller and balance tasks. It's obvious why they haven't released the software, they would loose sales on the HC-1000 and it would make Technical Support much more difficult. However, they should be able to offer a PC version of director for around $1500 and I think it would sell very well! I know it won't happen, but this is a wishlist :D

I wonder how hard it would be to open up a MC and take the HD out to read through the files. The problem that I see with it is there is probably a TON of code embedded in the OS which would make this impossible :(

I wish they gave us the option to install director onto a pc. I would build a really quick server with multiple processors and lots of ram for around $1500. There's no reason technical reason that we shouldn't be able to because this is essentially what the HC-1000 does. It should be able to run on any Linux PC (maybe a custom distro) and use TCP/IP to communicate with devices. It would use the zigbee server of another C4 controller and balance tasks. It's obvious why they haven't released the software, they would loose sales on the HC-1000 and it would make Technical Support much more difficult. However, they should be able to offer a PC version of director for around $1500 and I think it would sell very well! I know it won't happen, but this is a wishlist :D

I wonder how hard it would be to open up a MC and take the HD out to read through the files. The problem that I see with it is there is probably a TON of code embedded in the OS which would make this impossible :(

zipperman, have you ever telneted into an HC-300 and logged in (the user ID is root). It is a fairly standard distro of Linux. I think it a a Debian based distro. There are many programs that run as UNIX daemons that provide the C4 services. In fact the HC-1000 apprars to be just a standard x86 motherboard. It even has a VGA, PS/2, expansion slots and serial ports on it. They are disabled but they are there in plain sight on the back of the HC-1000.

Seems to me that if someone opened up an HC-1000 and determined what motherboard and processor it used one could build an HC-1000 like box for 1/3 the cost of what C4 sells the HC-1000 for.

I have telneted into a MC and HTC, not a HC-300 but I assume its almost the same. I wonder how hard it would be to get a complete drive image off a HC-1000 and place it onto PC. They would need the exact same componets, HD, Solid State Drive, CPU, Motherboard (I assume it has an onboard NIC) and maybe it would work. I don't know if it would be a bootable image? Maybe you could telnet into a HC-1000, copy all the files over to a computer. Then install Debian onto the "copy" pc/controller, then telnet into it an paste all the files over. Seems like a lot of effort and I have no idea if it would work?!? The software may be locked to a serial number on a board or something, IDK. I'm not very good with unix based OS's, does anyone know if this would work? I'm just wondering and I doubt I'd ever do it because it seems like a lot of work to get a HC-1000.

It would be really nice if they released director as an install file for linux!

When they moved Director over to the x86 platform - they locked it down (hardware keyed) so that you could NOT just copy it to another x86 and use it. They thought of just that move from the loyal fans... hehehehehe :)

When they moved Director over to the x86 platform - they locked it down (hardware keyed) so that you could NOT just copy it to another x86 and use it. They thought of just that move from the loyal fans... hehehehehe :)

I figured they locked it down. It would have been an aweful business move for them not to. This is a wishlist, so I just wished they relased the director software for around $1500 (or more?)! Then I would be able to upgrade the platform it was on and manage the "sever" myself.

I wouldn't mind an option like that as well - but then you'd have to support hardware... right now, with them only putting it on one device platform - they only write the drivers for that one set of hardware specs... once you open it up - now you've got to write drivers for EVERYTHING (plus support it) - that'd make the software cost double - thus back to the cost of a full HC-1000. :(

I don't know about that. As long as I provide the OS with all the correct drivers installed and everything working properly, I should be able to install director. All the software really does is communicate with the NIC card which would still be in the same place, eth01 or w/e linux uses. The os would handle the processer and everything. Think about it...you can install the composer on any PC running windows. Should be fairly similar with director.

yes / no - you're comparing WORKSTATION product with SERVER product ... server product goes under a LOT more development. Plus - Control4 knows nothing else is running with Director at the same time (thus nothing else is trying for CPU time or other resources). When you start allowing others into the product, there are way more unpredictable scenarios that MUST be accounted for.

I think alot of this goes back to the DIY type of discussion...

I would love to build a HTPC that integrates into C4...possible, but complicated...

I would love to have my PDA (WM6) act as a "remote"/director/MTS...nearly impossible...

Talking to C4, they like the idea, but are too busy with their own tasks.

I Would love to have access to programs to extend the product line, but they are unwilling at this time.

Must be some of the Crestron/AMX legacy thinking still around over there...

I keep asking though...

imagine the possibilities...

I think alot of this goes back to the DIY type of discussion...

I would love to build a HTPC that integrates into C4...possible, but complicated...

I would love to have my PDA (WM6) act as a "remote"/director/MTS...nearly impossible...

Talking to C4, they like the idea, but are too busy with their own tasks.

I Would love to have access to programs to extend the product line, but they are unwilling at this time.

Must be some of the Crestron/AMX legacy thinking still around over there...

I keep asking though...

imagine the possibilities...

I know exactly what you mean. I wish I was better on the programming side of computers! There are so many things I would love to integreate into control4. I am building HTPC, and wish I knew how to write serial commands so I could write a serial driver to have the HTPC act like the Sony 777. You should be able to have your PDA act as a remote, it just couldn't act an interactive remote. You could run "netremote" or some other kind of software, but you wouldn't have all the features of the real remote. I've been thinking about doing it, but I don't think it's worth the time yet!

I know exactly what you mean. I wish I was better on the programming side of computers! There are so many things I would love to integreate into control4. I am building HTPC, and wish I knew how to write serial commands so I could write a serial driver to have the HTPC act like the Sony 777. You should be able to have your PDA act as a remote, it just couldn't act an interactive remote. You could run "netremote" or some other kind of software, but you wouldn't have all the features of the real remote. I've been thinking about doing it, but I don't think it's worth the time yet!

It's actually not that hard, and there are tools, some from C4...

If you look at blog.tleish.com you can see some interesting work...

My problem is that you'll get less than zero help from C4...which is bad...and they'll consider it "hacking", "reverse engineering", or worse...

The serial stuff is easy...I'm looking at Zigbee...that's where it's interesting!!!

I don't think it's considered hacking if you control your system some alternate way, such as the CGI tool. After all, employees from Control4 made most of those tools. They aren't always kept up-to-date, though, and shouldn't necessarily be your 'first-line' of control. I know, I created the CGI tool, and use it daily (I control my office lights and fan from my Linux desktop, not through a touchpanel).

The reason the CGI tool is not kept up-to-date is because I don't have a ton of extra time to work on it, not because of any company-related reasons, and any support that you get for the tool will have to come from *me*, if I care enough to help you.

However, to expect the company to support you in use of non-standard tools, that's expecting a bit much. The company couldn't afford to sell their current great-priced products and still be able to support tools and ways of accessing the system that don't go to making the company any money.

I don't know how you can say otherwise. Personally, I'd rather they *don't* support the 'auxiliary tools', and stay in business.

:)

RyanE

RyanE,

I agree, any you've personally helped me out in the past on other issue, and I greatly appreciate it!

I was refering more to the need for deeper integration. The CGI tool is neat, but we really need a deeper "api", even access to a SOAP/WS approach would be nice.

For a PDA based director/controller/remote, if I had access to the "objects" on my controller that I could query/act on, then wow! It wouldn't take much work on either end to do that, but it would take access to the controller's system.

Robert

Archived