C4 Forums | Control4

Does Convergent Technologies make the V2 touch screen?

zipperman19

I was googling control4 tonight and came up this. http://c-t.com.au/wifipanels.html It seems strange that they would pick a company in australia to make the touchscreen! Looks like the wireless card is a/b/g enabled and can do WPA encryption. Why doesn't Control4 use anything besides 802.11b and wep keys? Is there a different wireless card in the one C4 touchscreens? Also if this is the same model, it should be able to have an intercom feature. 733mhz and 256MB of ram should be able to handle it.

Well the Convergent and the C4 unit look almost identical.

WEP is broken and VERY easy to crack. WPA is a MUCH stronger encryption scheme.

My guess as to the use of a/b/g is due to the fact that you never know what type of AP a user has and a/b/g covers them all. Additionally there is a speed advantage of a and g.

Just my 2 cents.

• 2 months later...

This is a very good question. I have previously posted about security concerns :)

For those of you that haven't read it:

http://tech.loopback.no/drupal/node/3

:)

When devices actually are capable of having higher security, they really should use it. But this also affects the users that doesn't have WPA-support in their wireless access points. So, i dunno. C4 probably care more about trivial usability of their products rather than security.

FYI - C4 does use 802.11G in the new 10.5" TS. As for WEP vs WAP... can't answer, don't know. I'm guessing we'll see WAP from them soon - but it's only a guess (and that's based on Linksys and a few other vendors publicly stating that they will stop supporting WEP at some point in the future).

I agree - at least it's something... just keep in mind that BOTH WEP and MAC filtering can both be broken in less than 30 seconds (even when both are used together). I "DO" hope C4 gets WAP up to speed MUCH sooner than later... I feel the pain here (since my original background was very strong IT with a specialty in security and firewalls).

I agree - at least it's something... just keep in mind that BOTH WEP and MAC filtering can both be broken in less than 30 seconds (even when both are used together). I "DO" hope C4 gets WAP up to speed MUCH sooner than later... I feel the pain here (since my original background was very strong IT with a specialty in security and firewalls).

Oh I know it doesn't take long. Just get the MACs with stumbler but it's better than nothing. There are a few other things you can do with certificates but it gets pretty complicated for the layman

Archived