C4 Forums | Control4

Looking for some receiver input

str1der

I'm looking at picking up a new receiver. I only plan on using it for 5.1 but need at minimum 3 component inputs. I'm looking real hard at a couple Onkyo's. Specifically the TX-SR605($400)or 705($600). The 605 seems to be the better deal but the 705 has Rs232 control. Do you guys think it's worth the extra bucks to get the serial connection?

If you think the RS232 isn't worth the extra $200 how do you think the 605 compares to the Yamaha RXV-661

Well I've narrowed it down to either the Yamaha 661 or the Onkyo 605. They are around the same price. The problem is the 605 has the better featrures but doesn't have the IR inputs for control like the 661 does. This means I would have to use flashers on it. I can't make up my mind. What's everyone's experience with flashers instead of direct input?

just cover up the flashers with vinyl tape. you can get all fancy with a razor blade, but I used to control 2 or 3 cable boxes stacked in the same rack using taped up flashers. You can use your cell phone camera to see if any ir is leaking out.

Another thing we used to do was to open the equipment and embed the flashers on the inside of the box. You will void warranties doing this however. but then all you have is a wire coming out the back to plug in.

id go for the more features...

Imbedding the IR emitters is definitely the way to go. Very few devices I have done it on have a warranty sticker to determine whether you cracked the case or not. I find using a hot glue gun is the best hold for the easiest removal when an RMA is needed. Also as a side note, breaking off the outside plastic increases the reliability of the emitter.

Archived