C4 Forums | Control4

Outside Temperature that can be used in programming

Doorman

I wish the outside temperature which is displayed on touch screens could be used a variable in programming.

I don't need and expensive weather station it would just be nice if to use the outside temp in A/C programming

Any Card Access or Axxess sensor or relay have built in temp sensors - the Axxess in particular is well suited to be outside. They both have temp display driver that allow you to 'see' the temperature under comfort (CA's has some issues though) and with or without that driver you can program off of temperature on either one. Axxess even has a version that has a humidity sensor built into it.

While this costs some - for one the outside temp is just a direct feed from the internet so there's little control to 'get' it at all, for the other that temp isn't nearly always reliable as it's purely based on the nearest weathersation by geographical location - which could be around the corners or many miles away.

I use a Yahoo weather driver that references a weather station close to here for pretty accurate temp, humidity, wind speed & direction etc. I use it to turn on the heat tape in my downspouts, though i am looking for other cool things to do also.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Any Card Access or Axxess sensor or relay have built in temp sensors - the Axxess in particular is well suited to be outside. They both have temp display driver that allow you to 'see' the temperature under comfort (CA's has some issues though) and with or without that driver you can program off of temperature on either one. Axxess even has a version that has a humidity sensor built into it.

While this costs some - for one the outside temp is just a direct feed from the internet so there's little control to 'get' it at all, for the other that temp isn't nearly always reliable as it's purely based on the nearest weathersation by geographical location - which could be around the corners or many miles away.

I would go with this post.  Web-based Temp and 3rd party drivers?  Forget it- making harder than it ought to be.  I don't know what "issues" dealer is talking about here (yes the CA driver does go wonky with a controller reboot) but a local reading is always going to be the most robust reading used for HVAC/Shading purposes. 

The CA temperature DISPLAY driver sometimes fail to properly 'connect' to their respective devices on a controller reboot (for example I have 6 running at my house, two will fail every time, the dsame two every time) - but one would do the programming off of the actual device driver, not this display driver so that's not a particular issue - it's just annoying as I lke the ability to just 'see' those temperatures on  a whim.

If your nearest weather station is very close, using web-based may work, but as above, getting an accurate ACTUAL reading on-site is far preferable.

I have yet to have a customer that needs the most precise local outside temperature reading.  Also an internet based weather driver gives you much more information that can be used for programming then temp alone.  Sure you could buy all sorts of sensors, weather stations, custom drivers being built, or use a driver that gets its readings from the internet for free.   Most of the time the free internet based one can do the job.

The CA temperature DISPLAY driver sometimes fail to properly 'connect' to their respective devices on a controller reboot (for example I have 6 running at my house, two will fail every time, the dsame two every time) - but one would do the programming off of the actual device driver, not this display driver so that's not a particular issue - it's just annoying as I lke the ability to just 'see' those temperatures on  a whim.

If your nearest weather station is very close, using web-based may work, but as above, getting an accurate ACTUAL reading on-site is far preferable.

Right, 8 here and three need re-association on reboot.  Living with this for two years now...

I have yet to have a customer that needs the most precise local outside temperature reading.  Also an internet based weather driver gives you much more information that can be used for programming then temp alone.  Sure you could buy all sorts of sensors, weather stations, custom drivers being built, or use a driver that gets its readings from the internet for free.   Most of the time the free internet based one can do the job.

I can tell you that if I use any web-based info here at my house the temperature displayed can be as much a 4C degrees off, often the state of rain/snow is the opposite. Again, this will be different based on location, but the point is certainly valid. Sure, a free driver is nice (and a nice driver it is BTW) but it isn't always the right solution. But each is free to his/her opinion.

• 1 month later...

A better way all around would be to have a seasonal adjustment feature for the T-stats. I live in Salt Lake City where the temps can be over 100 in the summer and teens or lower in the winter. Setting my T-stat at 73 does not feel the same in the winter as it does in the summer, so being able to have Composer adjust for the swing in outside temp by altering my programmed temps by 1, 2, or 3 degrees according to the season would be the way to go. Nest already has this figured out with their T-stats. C4 is falling behind on their stuff...it's time for a C4 T-stat reset/update.

A better way all around would be to have a seasonal adjustment feature for the T-stats. I live in Salt Lake City where the temps can be over 100 in the summer and teens or lower in the winter. Setting my T-stat at 73 does not feel the same in the winter as it does in the summer, so being able to have Composer adjust for the swing in outside temp by altering my programmed temps by 1, 2, or 3 degrees according to the season would be the way to go. Nest already has this figured out with their T-stats. C4 is falling behind on their stuff...it's time for a C4 T-stat reset/update.

And has Nest figured out how to work with Geothermal or with multiple zones?  Sorry, last I checked it wasn't an answer for everything.  Pretty sure you could do this with programming in C4 anyway, you might have to have weather station integration though.

Archived