C4 Forums | Control4

8 Zone Matrix Amp or 8 Zone Power Amp

Glloyd77

Hello everyone.  New to the forum and also a new Control4 user.  My system is being installed as we speak.  I had a quick question in regard to power amps or matrix amps.

My system has 16 speaker zones (right & left channel).  Originally the dealer sold me 2 - 8 zone matrix amps (C4-16AMP3-B).  The intent was to be able to listen to all audio sources independently through any of the 16 speaker zones (such as rhapsody through multiple zones).  Keeping this story short, I was then told mid-installation that I would need to add the new Audio Matrix Switch (C4-16ZAMSv3-B) to go along with the 8-zone matrix amps. 

Is this accurate?  Do I need the audio matrix switch?  Would I be better off with two 8 channel amps (C4-AMP108)?  I would also like to potentially add more speaker zones later.

Also, right now my inputs would be HC-800, sony blu-ray player, Dune Media player, 2 cable boxes - I think that is it.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

For the price difference. I would 2xC4-AMP108 and 1 new Control4 Audio Matrix switch

It will function the same way as 2xC4-16AMP3 and 1 new Control4 Audio Matrix switch.

There are a few minor difference in the amps (C4-16AMP3 vs C4-AMP108) both for in ceiling speakers the I doubt youd hear the difference.

Thanks for the info.  So you don't think the increase in power of the matrix amp will make an difference?  If I want to expand beyond 16 zones, does that make a difference?

Can't remember the diff from the top of my head but the difference is the speaker output per zone. Going above the 16 zone count in the future will not affect or improve the ouput of the original 16 zones.

You can add as many other zones in the future using either or of the above setup above and it will not make a difference

I'm assuming residential use mostly in-ceiling 6" to 8"speakers max 100 watts? 

The new amps were created to be less expensive option WHEN using the audio matrix (which in turn was revamped to allow 100 step volume control) - so that would be your best option. Yes to do it proper you'll need the audio matrix to do over 8 zones (with 8 inputs or less there is the option of splitting sources vs using the matrix - but that WOULD require you to do the more expensive amps right now, while still needing matrices etc if you ever expand).

Power-wise, the new amps are rated a little less, but a common misconception has people think that means the volume output is lower - if you're only driving standard in-ceiling or in-walls you'll not likely be able to tell the difference side by side, I wouldn't worry there. If you're driving high-end standing/bookshelf etc, you shouldn't be using either one of C4's "set" of amps to begin with.

And no, dual channel/dvc doesn't make a difference for the amp.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On December 5, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Glloyd77 said:

Hello everyone.  New to the forum and also a new Control4 user.  My system is being installed as we speak.  I had a quick question in regard to power amps or matrix amps.

My system has 16 speaker zones (right & left channel).  Originally the dealer sold me 2 - 8 zone matrix amps (C4-16AMP3-B).  The intent was to be able to listen to all audio sources independently through any of the 16 speaker zones (such as rhapsody through multiple zones).  Keeping this story short, I was then told mid-installation that I would need to add the new Audio Matrix Switch (C4-16ZAMSv3-B) to go along with the 8-zone matrix amps. 

I thought C4 is able to "merge" their matrix amps?  I.e. - in the above setup with 2 8-zone matrix amps, C4 would allow you to have a fully assignable (any source to any zone or group of zones) 16-zone WHA  setup?

6 hours ago, TexasUser said:

I thought C4 is able to "merge" their matrix amps?  I.e. - in the above setup with 2 8-zone matrix amps, C4 would allow you to have a fully assignable (any source to any zone or group of zones) 16-zone WHA  setup?

Yes, Control4 can magically transform two devices into one single device. :rolleyes:

No, you need a matrix switch in front of the amps to do this - though there are C4 'power amps' that are cheaper with no internal matrix to cover this scenario (ie 2 C4 matrix amps are about the price of 2 power amps and a 16x16 matrix)

Just as an update...

The hacks that originally installed my system are out of business.  System now functional, somewhat, but as CYK pointed out spent more than I had to.

Now trying how best to digitize my DVD and blu-Ray collection.  Not a huge fan of the Dune Base 3d I was sold either.  Any thoughts on that, a rack mountable NAS, and software for blu-ray ripping?

Thanks for the feedback. My dealer (he's done all the prewiring so far) told me the opposite, that c4 can mix and match inputs and outputs between two c4 matrix amps.  I assumed it was done via daisy chaining or something similar.

we're building a new house and haven't pulled the trigger on any automation yet.  I'll circle back with my dealer. 

I don't know how all these dealers are so misinformed about the products they sell.

Just as an update...

The hacks that originally installed my system are out of business.  System now functional, somewhat, but as CYK pointed out spent more than I had to.

Now trying how best to digitize my DVD and blu-Ray collection.  Not a huge fan of the Dune Base 3d I was sold either.  Any thoughts on that, a rack mountable NAS, and software for blu-ray ripping?

If you're comfortable with a DIY solution, run Plex. You can either run it on a computer you own or build (my favorite solution) or run it on a capable QNAP or Synology NAS.

Combined with@alanchow Plex driver you can get your entire movie database on the navigators. Only thing I'm not sure of is the compatibility of Dune boxes. I'm partial to Roku's.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Since 2007 I've been employed by 5 different C4 dealers. My first multi-zone C4 system (15 audio zones) was designed (mostly) properly & used two amps & the matrix switch. Every employer did multi-zone correctly, except one. On two seperate occasions, he sold a 12-zone system using the 8-zone amp & the 4-zone amp with no matrix. In one of these two setups, he even had the two amps  seperated by two floors in the home! I made it work through clever use of y-splitters & four audio baluns, and a fortuitous gap around the chimney from crawl space to attic.

Some dealers just don't know what they're doing.

Since 2007 I've been employed by 5 different C4 dealers. My first multi-zone C4 system (15 audio zones) was designed (mostly) properly & used two amps & the matrix switch. Every employer did multi-zone correctly, except one. On two seperate occasions, he sold a 12-zone system using the 8-zone amp & the 4-zone amp with no matrix. In one of these two setups, he even had the two amps  seperated by two floors in the home! I made it work through clever use of y-splitters & four audio baluns, and a fortuitous gap around the chimney from crawl space to attic.

Some dealers just don't know what they're doing.

We have had to do some crazy stuff because customers change their mind. One install that comes to mind we were planning for a video matrix but they backed out. Of course, they still wanted to hear video sources on speakers. We had to run mono audio on baluns to make it work.

Video switches with built in audio outputs have largely replaced audio matrix switches for our installs.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Archived