C4 Forums | Control4

POE Requirements for 3.5" Touchscreens

jbs

I have a large network switch in my rack that provides POE to a few jacks. It's started acting goofy so it's time to replace it.

I already have a 24-port network switch that I'm not using, but it's non-POE. I have 6 of the original 3.5" mini touchscreens connected via ethernet that I was using the POE for and it looks like it might be far more cost-effective to use my non-POE switch with some type of POE injector, rather than buy a new switch with POE.

I'd like to use something like this:

WS-POE-8-48v60w passive Power Over Ethernet POE Injector for 8 IP cameras, VOIP phones or Access Points, 48 volts, 60 watts max

but I don't know the voltage requirements of the touchpanels. Since they're no longer sold by C4 I'm also not finding any specs on their site and since POE is too short as a search term I'm not having much luck in the forums.

Can anyone advise whether the item above would be an appropriate way to power the touchpanels and/or what their power needs are?

Thanks in advance!

--Jason

60W will be more than adequate for 6 mini touch screens.  The higher current POE devices are things like cameras with zoom and tilt and pan. 

If you have the central equipment rack mounted look for a device called a midspan.  Does the same but in a rackmountable format.

http://www.control4.cl/uploads/Products/product_10/Control4-MiniTouchScreen.pdf

Is a spec sheet but it does not have power requirements detailed.

And excusing my ignorance is 48V the right voltage? The same company also sells a 24 and 12 volt model.

SMHarman, thanks for the suggestion about the midspan. They seem to have a midspan 12-port but not an 8. In 8 they just offer wall-mount, but if I don't find a midspan 8 then I think this would actually fit nicely on a blank 1U plate between the switch and the incoming ports.

The device is 802.3af.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

The original IEEE 802.3af-2003[2] PoE standard provides up to 15.4 W of DC power (minimum 44 V DC and 350 mA[3][4]) to each device.[5] Only 12.95 W is assured to be available at the powered device as some power is dissipated in the cable.[6]

Minimum 44V so the 48V is what you need.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Archived