C4 Forums | Control4

Want to distribute Sony 777es DVD to 2 or 3 rooms

chrisGA

I would like to take a Sony DVD changer and distribute the source with control to multiple rooms. Has anyone accomplished this with C4 equipment and a video distribution piece? It would be really nice if I could have the Navigator screen with the Mdeia cover art displayed at each location.

Thanks for your help.....

• 4 weeks later...

Splitting the video signal from the Media Controller/Home Theater Controller was NOT recommended in class, solely for the reason that if more than one person wanted to watch/control the 777, whatever the other viewer was doing would be cancelled, and their screen would display the C4 screen, essentially showing what the other person was doing. Whenever doing a distribution system, you will need another C4 display piece to allow for navigation: either minitouch, 10.4, or HTC. To distribute the 777 signal, however, you can add a knox video switcher so that you can join into the DVD already being played.

Instead of a video switcher, could you use one of the other video outputs from the 777? Take the line out video jack and run it into a modulator? Of course the picture quality wouldn't be as good. But, it gives you more channel options on the remote TV.

I currently have the 777 run into a rf modulator. works fine and with a properly balanced rf system (i'm guessing mine is close) I see a great picture.

All of us in the house hold know to check to see if something is already playing before selecting a new title. This is easily accomplished by voice command (ie yelling "is anyone watching a movie") or simply by selecting the dvd source on the display you want to view your movie on, if there is a dvd playing you'll see it. If there is no video being displayed help yourself to a movie.

One drawback to the majority of modulators, they are mono sound. It will have LR audio inputs but they get combined and modulated to mono. I haven't played with the stereo versions, to pricy for the displays I am modulating to.

We use Stereo modulators from either Channel Plus of Channel Vision (I always confuse the two)... they retail, for a 4 channel modulator, for under $1000 and use them all the time in installations that don't require HDTV (was the norm until recently). Control4 works great with them too - it knows if it's already on, but not if it's in use (meaning it knows NOT to send an additional POWER ON command, but WILL select a new movie in the middle of someone else watching a movie)... but that only makes sense... no one can say for sure if someone left the movie running etc... BUT it's smart to know that if TWO different rooms requested the DVD player - NOT to turn it off when the first room POWERS OFF. So that's quite nice! :)

Archived