C4 Forums | Control4

HC250 vs HC800

BrettB0727

Well, a 250 will be significantly faster then a 200...  An 800 will be significantly faster then an 250.

Just depends on what you need.  Most likely a 250 will be fine, but if you can afford it, the 800 will be worth it if you plan on expanding further...

Just my two cents...

Well, a 250 will be significantly faster then a 200...  An 800 will be significantly faster then an 250.

Just depends on what you need.  Most likely a 250 will be fine, but if you can afford it, the 800 will be worth it if you plan on expanding further...

Just my two cents...

What features would I be missing if I went with HC250 (besides processor)?

HC-250:

Processor index rating : 500

4 IR ports, 2 of which can be used for serial ports alternatively using the correct cable

1 contact

1 relay

1 audio out using 3.5mm

1 audio in using 3.5mm

HDMI out

Component out

Internal zigbee and wifi antennae

PoE power option (take note of existing limitations on that)

Small format, easy wall mount option

HC-800:

Processor index rating: 1300

6 IR ports.

2 dedicated serial ports

4 contacts

4 relays

2 audio out using rca

1 digital coax audio out

1 audio input using rca

HDMI out

Component out

external zigbee and wifi antennae with increased range, option for extended antennae available

No PoE

wider, standard rack-width format - not suitable for hidden installation behind TVs etc.

Thanks a lot guys. You've been very helpful to this newbie.  :D

One follow-up questions. I have a CAT6 cable run (not terminated) about 50 feet that I can make use of to connect the HC250 from the family to the Security System. 

How would you recommend me to connect the systems?

For example, I can have the the IT100 module sitting next to the HC250 and use the CAT6 to hook the 4 wires to the KEYBUS.

Alternatively (and nicer), I can have the IT100 sitting next to the Security system and use the CAT6 to carry the signal from the RS232 port to the HC250. However, if that is the case, how can wire that other end to one of the IR port?

Is the dual audio out actually useful? This would really only be useful if I had music on external storage, correct? This does not help with TuneIn, AirPlay, or any other network sources? 

Airplay is not direct to a controller, but it does work for TuneIn, 2 separate stations is possible (more than that even) - or if you have airplay to the audio IN on a controller you could be listening to that and to tunein in another location.

Thanks a lot guys. You've been very helpful to this newbie.  :D

One follow-up questions. I have a CAT6 cable run (not terminated) about 50 feet that I can make use of to connect the HC250 from the family to the Security System. 

How would you recommend me to connect the systems?

For example, I can have the the IT100 module sitting next to the HC250 and use the CAT6 to hook the 4 wires to the KEYBUS.

Alternatively (and nicer), I can have the IT100 sitting next to the Security system and use the CAT6 to carry the signal from the RS232 port to the HC250. However, if that is the case, how can wire that other end to one of the IR port?

Didnt see your post until now...

I installed and integrated my DSC IT-100 to my HC-250 a couple of weeks ago. Works great.

I installed my DSC-system on a different floor than my HC-250, so I bought a small plastic box to install my IT-100 in, and placed it besides my HC-250. Then a 2-foot DB-9 to 3,5-cable.

According to my calculations the serial-interface should be able to handle the cable-length if i installed the IT-100 in the same box as my alarmsystem (Depends on speed, and the DSC-system uses only 9600baud), but there are some posts on this forum that point out some problems with too long serial-cable with IT-100, so I didnt take a chance on it.

HC-250:

Processor index rating : 500

4 IR ports, 2 of which can be used for serial ports alternatively using the correct cable

1 contact

1 relay

1 audio out using 3.5mm

1 audio in using 3.5mm

HDMI out

Component out

Internal zigbee and wifi antennae

PoE power option (take note of existing limitations on that)

Small format, easy wall mount option

HC-800:

Processor index rating: 1300

6 IR ports.

2 dedicated serial ports

4 contacts

4 relays

2 audio out using rca

1 digital coax audio out

1 audio input using rca

HDMI out

Component out

external zigbee and wifi antennae with increased range, option for extended antennae available

No PoE

wider, standard rack-width format - not suitable for hidden installation behind TVs etc.

Great comparisation!

Could you explain the Processor index rating?

Processor index rating was created by control4 to give an indication of relative strength of the controller, it is also used in calculating how much 'load' a system or individual controller has based on navigators, running zigbee server and/or zap, audio outputs in use, how many lighting devices etc.

The first gen HC200, 300 and 500 were set as the bench-mark of and index of 100, with the later versions of 200/300 being 130, the HC1000 being 1000, off the top of my head the oldest controllers (pre- HC series) were 60 or 70.

Note that the index rating does NOT give transparency on the fact that ZigBee and navigator on the new are faster and more efficient, so even though an 800 is 'only' 300 points stronger than a 1000, it is also able to run -some- processes more efficiently.

It's not a perfect comparison, but it gives a decent 'image' of the relative power of the different controllers

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, storm7 said:

As someone to to C4, this is good info.

I have 2 HC-250 controllers. One is master. If I upgrade to HC800, is it easy to replace the HC250 with 800?

The HC-800 is no longer available (unless you purchase one used.)

In the new controller lineup, you would want to look at the EA-3 or EA-5. 

What version of Director are you running?  The latest version (3.1.3) does not support the HC-250.

If you can describe your current system and upgrade goals, you can gather guidance on your upgrade options  

I used to have a bunch of HC250s and I replaced with HC800s.  This allowed me to upgrade to OS3, although I run the risk of HC800s being obsolete when something like OS3.3 comes out.  HC800s also have very good connectivity with lots of audio outputs and relay/sensor connections.

One downside is that you cannot use the OSD in OS3 with an HC800 but I don't care about that as I use phone, tablet, remotes and keypads.

Having to put in place the EA series would have been extremely expensive given the lack of a proper audio output on EA-1s.  That would mean an EA3 at each location where I want an audio output which is $$$.

• 1 month later...

Till date, I have no clear path to upgrade beyond 2.10.6, If I go like-for-like path, DS2 to replace DS1, 7’ touch screens to replace the IE’s and Portables, EA1’s to replace 250’s, EA5 to replace the 800, C4 quote is around $35k the equivalent for a BMW318 fully loaded!

As someone to to C4, this is good info.
I have 2 HC-250 controllers. One is master. If I upgrade to HC800, is it easy to replace the HC250 with 800?
Holy necro post batman.

At this point neither of these is a sensible upgrade path. EA are affordable on eBay now.

To migrate the dealer will need a VPN or team view or physically be on-site.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.