C4 Forums | Control4

Capacitor (I think) Came Off SR-250 - Still Working Though

control4user007

Hi Everyone,

I had a remote start going bad on me a few months back.  It would basically get caught in an endless reboot cycle where it would start up to "Waiting For Network" for about 2-3 seconds, and then shut down and reset.  I went through all the motions with my dealer doing a Factory Reset key commands and the red 4 + 0 key on start.  Nothing seemed to work  (out of warranty I might add).  This weekend I tried to take it apart for the fun of it, and I was able to get the remote open without breaking anything.  I found what I believe was a broken capacitor that was barely hanging on to the board.  It actually fell when I put the circuit board on the desk.  Anyway, funny thing happened.  When I connected the batteries to the board the remote booted up fine!  I tried to solder the piece back on, but after doing that the same endless reset loop came back.  Prying the part off again made it work find.  Anyway, I sealed it all back up and it tried to test it as best I could (couldn't find anything wrong with it, even the light sensor works).  I do have one question for people that might have knowledge of these units:  Is there a risk to leaving this piece off?  And could someone help identify what the capacitor does?   I have attached pictures to help (or if anything, for people who are curious what these look like when opened up).

Thank you.

post-124349-0-96665900-1393282037_thumb.

post-124349-0-74508200-1393282044_thumb.

post-124349-0-40186900-1393282054_thumb.

post-124349-0-39715500-1393282062_thumb.

That's awesome that you were able to figure out and fix your problem.

Not sure what the capacitor in question is, but if it's working without it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Low-voltage circuits, you don't have to worry about safety issues not having the capacitor.

RyanE

• 6 years later...

Well, I can confirm that this method works. I'd be curious to see how much life the OP got out of the remote since this post. This was six years ago. I've probably dropped my remote one too many times and it caused the original problem of loosing connections. 

The method to open the remote is very straightforward. Just take the back cover off, remove batteries, then there are two slots with tiny phillips head screws. Remove those, then gently pry it apart. There might be a few clips that break that hold the remote together. I broke two of them, but I was able to get it back together just fine and it feels solid in the hand. Hoping I get some more life out of this remote, but I am at 8 years of having mine now so each additional day is a bonus. 

• 11 months later...
On 8/26/2020 at 6:52 PM, snipboy said:

I'd be curious to see how much life the OP got out of the remote since this post.

Actually still using this one in a guest bedroom - have expanded my C4 system quite a bit since this post.  No problems so far (other than it being dropped and shattering the screen - see here).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.