C4 Forums | Control4

Control 4 security and Synology Surveillance station

Hi,

I am getting a Control 4 system put in. I am looking to add 3 security cameras (one that is with the door bell call station) and two additional cameras. My dealer recommends that I get Wirepath DOM 700 series cameras. I understand it is a real good 1080p camera with LED and captures extremely good video in day and night conditions.

I am not super thrilled spending another $1600 or so on the NVR solution when I already have Synology NAS with it's surveillance station. Ideally this is what I'd like.

1. The cameras to work with Control 4 so that I can view it on my iPad and TV and such when I'm at home and control it the same way I would if I had their NVR solution.

2. I would like the video storage and retrieval to be done on Synology surveillance station.

Is that doable? Or is there a better solution to get something like what I want.

The wire path camera is not listed as one of the compatible cameras on Synology's website. However, they do say that ONVIF compliant cameras should work.

Has anyone integrated Control 4 security but stores recordings on Synology NAS rather than the $1600 NVR solution for 1 TB.

Chandra

Hi Chandra,

I am a newbie to Control4 but I have using Synology NAS and IP Cameras for a little while. I am currently achieving your #1, and #2 requirement by using IPs Cameras, the Synology NAS and the Synology iPad,iPod Apps. In your case, the only thing that is out of place willb e your Door Bell Camera. That needs to be access through the Control4 applications.

I was told that in the near future, C4 will support third party IP Cameras. If that is true, maybe it is a good idea to just setup the Door cam and wait for that intergration kit to be here. 

-SmokerK

So as long as the cameras that you get are control4 compatible (there is a list somewhere showing all the models) from my understanding all he has to do is add the driver for the camera you install and put in the login information. Setting up surveillance center is pretty simple, you just open it and add each camera individually using the ip addresses and login info. I have mine set to record based off of motion to conserve hard drive space.

@abeasst - He is asking me to buy a wire path dome camera. But, that is not on the supported list for Synology. Do I have to look at the list for Control 4 and synology and buy a camera that is on both lists? Can you tell me where I could find a control 4 compatibility list? I have been searching all day and even called Control4

@SMHarman Thanks.. But, this is a press release and not really a list. Do you know if there is a spot where they publish the list of compatible cameras?

There are more and more drivers coming out with the 2.5.3 update, however, if you go with Axis you shouldn't have a problem.  The 2.5.3 release of C4 includes a new Axis driver that should work with any Axis camera and Synology seems to support every model I've seen (Synology just released a new camera pack with additional support as well).

OP:  I am using Wirepath IP cams and Synology for the exact scenario you describe.  Have your C4 dealer add the cams like they normally would.  You can add the same cams to the Synology.  I've been using this for the past 7 months with no issues.

Is it possible to use C4 to manage the cameras and save/organize the videos on a NAS? I want to ditch the Synology Surveillance station because I am planning to expand my cameras coverage and Synology charges a ridiculous $60 licence fee per camera. 

Thanks!

Is it possible to use C4 to manage the cameras and save/organize the videos on a NAS? I want to ditch the Synology Surveillance station because I am planning to expand my cameras coverage and Synology charges a ridiculous $60 licence fee per camera. 

Thanks!

When you see the $1600 for the NVR that the OP was quoted the $60 per licence from Synology does not seem so bad (and the first one was free).

When you see the $1600 for the NVR that the OP was quoted the $60 per licence from Synology does not seem so bad (and the first one was free).

I don't disagree. Compare to the NVR solution it doesn't seems that bad.

I guess for me, I look at costs a little differently. A pretty decent PTZ IP Cam high resolution costs about $180 (on sale). The management software is free with it and handles as many camera of the same brand as you like. If I use Synology, the license cost is about 1/3 of the camera itself. Plus, I have to use a separate software (from C4) to organize and view the videos. If I can get C4 to manage and organize the feeds, that would be ideal for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

lippavisual,

Since Wirepath is not listed on the Synology website, what do you use to set up the Wirepath cameras in Synology?

I have 8 Wirepath 750 dome cameras integrated into C4 and Synology.  There are drivers for C4.  Use the generic_ONVIF standard driver for Synology. I remember needing to change one of the settings on the camera IP Settings page.  I think it was disabling RTSP authentication.  

For good measure: I have UPnP Enabled.  UPnP port forwarding disabled.  RTSP Server enabled. RTSP authentication disabled.  It was one of those that I had to change.  I'm pretty sure it was the RTSP authentication...

If I recall, I bought my camera licenses on Amazon for around $50 with instant delivery of the licenses.  Originally I bought the 16 channel DVR from Wirepath. What a colossal waste of time and money.  Am much happier with SS. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck.  

I have 8 Wirepath 750 dome cameras integrated into C4 and Synology.  There are drivers for C4.  Use the generic_ONVIF standard driver for Synology. I remember needing to change one of the settings on the camera IP Settings page.  I think it was disabling RTSP authentication.  

For good measure: I have UPnP Enabled.  UPnP port forwarding disabled.  RTSP Server enabled. RTSP authentication disabled.  It was one of those that I had to change.  I'm pretty sure it was the RTSP authentication...

If I recall, I bought my camera licenses on Amazon for around $50 with instant delivery of the licenses.  Originally I bought the 16 channel DVR from Wirepath. What a colossal waste of time and money.  Am much happier with SS. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck.  

Thank you very, very much for this!!!  Your solution worked.  One additional point (for any others who may be in this situation):

• I have the Wirepath 750 Series Bullet cameras. There is a firmware update which corrects a problem whereby the RTSP selections are not saved upon rebooting the camera (was driving me crazy until I found out)

• 1 month later...

I have my three Wirepath 750 DOM cameras up and running with Control 4 and Synology as the DVR and surveillance station. Thanks for all the helpful posts in this thread. However, I am getting a lot of false positives on my motion detection by Synology. Every small bug and bird is triggering a recording. Any ideas on what settings for sensitivity and threshold are good for this setup?

Unfortunately, that is going to be trial and error on your part.  Every installation of cameras are completely different.  I would just start backing down the sensitivity everyday until I find the best setting.

Archived