C4 Forums | Control4

Congrats to my friends at Video Storm

dogdvr

Comparing apples and oranges really.

It will all depend on the product quality relative to it's price. Snap's stuff 'work great' is...a slight overstatement. Personal experience installing a lot of them is that they 'work OK'. We'll find out where this stuff will end up.

Video-storm makes the comparison, all of a sudden it's apples and oranges when a consumer attempts too?  

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raspberry pi's..yeh I think that is exactly what they are doing.. a kind of modified pi.. that's what I don't get though... 'cause I can't get the pi to stream 1080p blu ray quality stutter free (using XBMC).. and seamlessly.....and I don't get where the Matrix bit fits into all this....

Video-storm makes the comparison, all of a sudden it's apples and oranges when a consumer attempts too?  

If they make the comparison as in being two of the same thing (ie 'it really is just a matrix switch when you boil it down') then yes, they are d0ing the same thing. It wasn't pointed to a consumer or them specifically.

The two options are  different, sort of like comparing a BluRay and an upscaling DVD player, but ignoring that one plays bluray discs, the other doesn't. Yes the BluRay (well when that was a current comparison) is more expensive, but there's a reason to it.

I'd pay for this sort of product and some if I knew if worked....

Same reason I paid thousands for a Multiroom Sonos set up after seeing one zone demo'd...

The actual Sonos ZP boards and hardware are only worth what?? $10??

Point being the value and mark up is in the *implementation" of the technology..

But if you want to charge a big markup, that implementation better be spot on, innovative and folks need to see it is supported, upgradeable and here to stay...  

Can't say I follow. 

You're falling over the China mention, feel free to - but it wasn't that relevant to begin with (other than all of Snap's stuff is fully outsourced there). My point on the post that started this discussion was that cheap isn't the only consideration.

You're falling over the China mention, feel free to - but it wasn't that relevant to begin with (other than all of Snap's stuff is fully outsourced there). My point on the post that started this discussion was that cheap isn't the only consideration.

Yeah ok I understand.  Anyways can't comment on price since it isn't disclosed and seems to vary (other than a SnapAV HDBaset 8x8 matrix with receivers would work out cheaper than a 6x4 setup).

I agree cost isn't the only consideration, when I purchase this is my checklist:

1. Functionality

2. Cost

3. Support (cost with vs without i.e. Ebay)

4. Alternatives

Yeah ok I understand.  Anyways can't comment on price since it isn't disclosed and seems to vary (other than a SnapAV HDBaset 8x8 matrix with receivers would work out cheaper than a 6x4 setup).

I agree cost isn't the only consideration, when I purchase this is my checklist:

1. Functionality

2. Cost

3. Support (cost with vs without i.e. Ebay)

4. Alternatives

The success of Sonos is a great example of this and why they get a premium for their product

1/ Superb

2/ Expensive but customers can see the value of the intellectual property

3/ Don't need it other than via a fantastic forum/ web support and dealing direct with importer if there are real issues..

4/ There haven't really been any for years...

I'm surprised dealers would want to install this in people's homes.  Seems like it could require a lot of support.  Furthermore, if the company fails you are basically left on your own.  What will you do then cloning your own raspberry pi's?

As a customer I would be pretty mad if some of my system fails and I find out that there are no replacement products.  

Of course maybe some dealers don't care if there customers are mad.

^^ We haven't installed any yet but i don't really see how it will be more support than your run of the mill HDMI matrix.  I would honestly think it will be less support and since its so network based it will probably save some truck rolls if we install the proper network equipment to be able to monitor activity remotely.

To many posts to read.  what do you want to know?  thanks for the endorsement by the way.

Is it a Matrix? or is it like a kind of XBMC/Internet video distribution set up? 

If it is a hybrid mixture of both, how does it integrate this and where does XBMC sit in it all?

As the controlling GUI..or just as an app you can pull up like is now possible on the QNAP's....

How and what does the C4 driver control?

Who wrote the driver and how is it supported?

I'm surprised dealers would want to install this in people's homes.  Seems like it could require a lot of support.  Furthermore, if the company fails you are basically left on your own.  What will you do then cloning your own raspberry pi's?

As a customer I would be pretty mad if some of my system fails and I find out that there are no replacement products.  

Of course maybe some dealers don't care if there customers are mad.

I'm surprised about how negative people are on a company trying to bring something that if not new is big evolution. All potentially, I've only seen demo setups, but still?

I can't speak for all dealers, but sure, I want happy customers. But things sometimes fail. It seems you're rather hung up on a company that's been around for years would all of a sudden fail out of the blue.

Why the hostile attitude?

^ what's the ball park on a 4 room setup? I really haven't a clue? 5K?? what?

It depends on how many inputs you want. Like chesterwilson is saying, it's really troublesome when a product manufacturer doesn't publish/establish suggested retail pricing. Very few companies go down that road, and the ones that do won't get my business.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

Whatever your dealer wants to charge you.  The range is hypothetically endless.  

Yes. I could charge you 2500 dollar per transmitter, 5000 per decoder.

Hypothetically.

Of course I wouldn't actually sell any but....

Mind you, I'm not a big fan of complete secrecy either - in no small part BECAUSE it raises this type of reaction.

I'm surprised about how negative people are on a company trying to bring something that if not new is big evolution. All potentially, I've only seen demo setups, but still?

I can't speak for all dealers, but sure, I want happy customers. But things sometimes fail. It seems you're rather hung up on a company that's been around for years would all of a sudden fail out of the blue.

Why the hostile attitude?

I agree, I do think you care for your customers.  You help out alot of people here who aren't your customers.  Let me ask you this and just pretend it's a fact, tell me what you would do:

1.  You sell a 8x8 Video-Storm setup to a customer (lets assume it costs $6K).

2.  1-2 years from now part of the system starts failing due to an unforseen manufacturing issue.

3.  Video-Storm due to slow sales or some other disruptive technology folds shortly after you sell the system.

4.  Customer calls you and tells you half the sources don't work and you need either in or out of warranty service.

5.  Video-Storm items are propietary.  No replacement parts or interoperability with other products exist.

Now what do you tell the customer?  Do you offer to change out to a HDMI matrix at dealer cost, for free, for full cost?  

When he asks you why would you install something like this if it hasn't been tested, what do you say?

When he says to you so I spent $6k and now I have to pay all over again, what do you say?

Let me tell you, unless you have a great deal of goodwill with this customer he will only forgive you if you take care of this for him at no cost or minimal cost.  Any other resolution and you will have a pissed off customer.

Thats what I foresee.  This is not a low cost alternative and is clearly a premium price to HDMI Matrix's.  It's a big investment and I just offer a buyer beware.  Not trying to be hostile.  

Archived