C4 Forums | Control4

Congrats to my friends at Video Storm

dogdvr

• 7 months later...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to install one of these systems tomorrow.  relatively small scale (4-5 sources, 4 displays), but I'll at least get to see the system and IP driver in action.  I'll let everyone know how it goes.  I also have several more encoders/decoders on the way as well as their audio matrix.  I'll be setting up a much more robust system in our office with several sources/displays as well as using their audio matrix as the audio endpoint for the "rooms".  pretty excited to see how the two systems work together.

LOL 6 months on .. How did it go?

• 4 months later...

I have the videostorm netplay system for video. What questions ya got? I am a happy camper so far. Glad to answer questions. No service issues per see. Had hdmi handshake issue with my denon in one room. Dealwr called videostorm. They replicated the issue in their lab and issued a firmware update within a week. Smooth sailing since.

What else can I answer?

• 2 weeks later...

I have had Netplay Video setup running at home since they first came out and it hss certainly had less issues than many HDBaset solutions that we have installed, we are about to roll out the first system into a clients house 13 x 4 with 16 ip cameras. If any one is interested in this product in Australia I am happy to demo my system at home for them.  Keep up the good work VideoStorm......

• 9 months later...

I thought I would update everyone. 

I purchased the Video Storm units.  I got the VTX100-4 (4 channel encoder) and I also purchased 4 of the VRX020 (decoders)

Aside from the initial setup being a little confusing (bad (old) instructions and articles from Video Storm), the units really work well.

Each VRX has a built in XBMC client.  This is nice, so you can watch XMBC independently at every TV/Monitor location with a VRX. 

The units have cool functionality for PIP from home security camera or other sources.  There are a few very light bugs in the programming.  I have mentioned these issues to Video Storm and they say they are working on fixed.  I must say that their customer service is top notch.

I haven't tried the competition (JAP), but so far, I am pretty happy with these units.  No real complaints on my end.

Just to chime in here, my system has been rock solid since implementation in Nov 2014.  Had the HDMI hiccup at the start but flawless since.  Now that I have a door station that has a real IP Camera (Holovision), I have it programmed that when the door station is pressed, I get the PiP on the screen of who is at the front door if the TV is on (if the Holo Driver didnt have a bug it would be perfect, now its about 80% acceptable).  Another way to integrate cameras - if my alarm goes off and is in stay mode (so I am home) I have the TV's turn on and put all 5 of my cameras on the TV screens so I can see what is going on inside/outside certain areas of my house.  You can do text on screen too - so when I press the yellow button on my SR 250 remote, my bedroom goes into sleep mode (lights off, tv sleep timer turned on, etc) and on screen it says Sleep Activated so I know the command has been received.  

Eventually I have some audio upgrades in the house and will be looking at the VS matrix to likely replace the C4 matrix.

9 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Just to chime in here, my system has been rock solid since implementation in Nov 2014.  Had the HDMI hiccup at the start but flawless since.  Now that I have a door station that has a real IP Camera (Holovision), I have it programmed that when the door station is pressed, I get the PiP on the screen of who is at the front door if the TV is on (if the Holo Driver didnt have a bug it would be perfect, now its about 80% acceptable).  Another way to integrate cameras - if my alarm goes off and is in stay mode (so I am home) I have the TV's turn on and put all 5 of my cameras on the TV screens so I can see what is going on inside/outside certain areas of my house.  You can do text on screen too - so when I press the yellow button on my SR 250 remote, my bedroom goes into sleep mode (lights off, tv sleep timer turned on, etc) and on screen it says Sleep Activated so I know the command has been received.  

Eventually I have some audio upgrades in the house and will be looking at the VS matrix to likely replace the C4 matrix.

How do you find the latency from pressing channel change commands to the channel actually changing on the screen?

The truth - I do not notice latency at all.  When I first got it, I heard that was a drawback, so of course it caught my attention and I noticed it though it was certainly usable.  Within 2-3 weeks of original install they released a firmware update with a low latency mode you can set up which basically cut it in half or something.  After that update, and just using the system, it is now just normal to me and I do not notice it - people who visit/stay at my house do not say or ask or notice it, etc.  Most important, the fiance does not know about latency or fancy terms, she just likes things to work, and when they don't work, trust me, I hear it.  She likes it - she never asked why does it take .8 milliseconds for a command to enter, etc :-)  And with the updated firmware last year, it is even less of an issue.  I would not let that hold up the purchase.  

Thanks for the feedback on these units.  I'm strongly considering the VRX and VTX for a spec house I'm building.  The ability to add sources and displays one by one is very attractive.  Also, the cameras not taking up a source spot is nice.

Here is a video showing from awhile back showing the total remote key to screen delay.
For this video, we are using:
1.  Apple TV as source.  ATV gives a pretty consistent command processing delay (unlike cable boxes which can have a lot of variation).
2.  C4 remote with IR driver with IR extension from VTX100.  The ATV C4 IR driver is pretty slow, so this is a worst case scenario.  The IP drivers are faster.
3.  NetPlay VTX100 and VRX010 for the video distribution.  Again, the newer VRX020 are slightly faster in low latency mode.

NetPlay automatically seamlessly switches between normal mode and low latency mode whenever several IR commands are sensed (and back when they aren't).  We are showing the two modes manually in the video.

Key things to observe in the video:
Normal mode total response time is less than half a second.  Low latency mode is about a quarter second or less.  Both are hardly noticeable compared to the time it takes to actually press the remote button.  You can view the video frame by frame to verify the timing.
You will also see some of the key presses are lost (don't work).  That is a C4 IR driver / Zigbee issue unrelated to NetPlay.

1 hour ago, Duchess said:

Thanks for the feedback on these units.  I'm strongly considering the VRX and VTX for a spec house I'm building.  The ability to add sources and displays one by one is very attractive.  Also, the cameras not taking up a source spot is nice.

the reasons you point out are the reasons that sold me on VS.  cameras arent inputs, modular growth approach, etc.  XMBC and some of the other features just made it all that much more attractive.

Hellow,

I have installed at home a Control4 system using as video matrix 1 VTX100 with four hdmi inputs, 1 VRX020 (has the matrix) and 3 VRX010. I chose Videostrom over the Control4 HDMI matrix for the versatility it has this system. Even though I have moved to my home some months ago and I have not use Videostorm at full potential, I think their features are great and evrything I need.

Now, going to the latency when changing channels. As soon as my dealer installed Videostorm I noticed a delay on the cannel change. When I told about this to my dealer he said that it could be a delay either from Videostrom (it was the first one they installed) or from Control 4. I was really worried for this and was trying to get used to this delay considering all the advantages Videostorm has to give me. But unfortunately I cannot get used....for me it is really a nightmare.

Around 2 months ago the Videostrom encoder was not working and my dealer setup a "conference call" with Videostrom suport to see what was the cause. The conclusion was that the 4 hdmi inputs were burned and that the only cause could be a lighting. Since there was a big electrical storm some days before we realized the encoder was not working Videostorm support must be correct. I must point out that Videostrom support was excellent.

Having Videostorm out of serivice my dealer "lend" me two Leaf HDM Extenders to connect my two cable set top boxes with the two most used TVs. As soon as I started using them I realice that now the channels where changing back again as fast as with the set top box directly connected to the TV.

So, in my experience Videostorm adds delay to the cannel changing.

I have just read the post from Videostorm and from some other users saying that this delay should/ does not exist. I would kindly ask Videostrom suport to tell me what parameters should I look/ change in my setup to see if this imporoves. Unfortunately i will not be able to try this until my encoder is repaired.

Best regards

Ferbor,

Since you have the older VRX010, you probably didn't have two settings which make a dramatic difference.

1.  Make sure your sources (in source setup) are set to "Unicast RTSP"

2.  If not using IP drivers for your sources (cables boxes, ATV, etc), use the IR outputs of the VTX units to connect the IR flashers.  This will enable the automatic low latency mode when you are using the IR to navigate menus.

The video we posted above shows you the experience you should achieve when properly configured.

Dear Videostorm

Thanks for prompt reply. I will ask my dealer to make this changes as soon as I can recover my repaired hdmis ( I lave in Argentina and all the shipment process is really complicated due to import restrictions).

Just a couple of extra doubts:

1. These two setting that I probably do not have since I had the VRX010 are now available on the VRX010 through some firmware upgrade? If I need to change them this means that when they are upgraded they are not set by default? Is this correct?

2. Where should I change the source setup, on the VTX or on each VRX. I asume the VRX no?

3. We are no using IP drivers since the set top boxes we have here only can be controlled by Ir. I confirm we are using the IR output of the HC-250 from control4 so I will as to be chaned to the VRX output.

Thanks once again!

5 hours ago, ferbor said:

1. These two setting that I probably do not have since I had the VRX010 are now available on the VRX010 through some firmware upgrade? If I need to change them this means that when they are upgraded they are not set by default? Is this correct?

Correct, they need to be changed in the virtual matrix source setup (on the controller vrx).

5 hours ago, ferbor said:

3. We are no using IP drivers since the set top boxes we have here only can be controlled by Ir. I confirm we are using the IR output of the HC-250 from control4 so I will as to be chaned to the VRX output.

Actually the VTX IR output

19 hours ago, videostorm said:

Correct, they need to be changed in the virtual matrix source setup (on the controller vrx).

Actually the VTX IR output

I have already changed, on the VRX020 I use to hold the matrix (then I have other 3 VRX010 connected to the TV), to Unicast RTSP the 4 sources that correspond to the VTX encoder. I really look forward to receiving the new or repaired burned HDMI board to try how it is working now. Is there any other way to try it not having the VTX working at this moment? I also have as sources 25 Ip cameras using H.264. Should I also change to Unicast RTSP these sources? Currently they are set to Unicast MpegTS

Thanks!!

You will need the VTX units to have a live feed with a user interactionable menu.

The IP cameras should technically use the "URL" type.  However, that setting really only makes a difference on VTX sources (IP cams are assumed to be URL type in the code).

Please use the "Purge all" button on the source config page after making these changes to insure the profiles are all regenerated.

18 minutes ago, videostorm said:

You will need the VTX units to have a live feed with a user interactionable menu.

The IP cameras should technically use the "URL" type.  However, that setting really only makes a difference on VTX sources (IP cams are assumed to be URL type in the code).

Please use the "Purge all" button on the source config page after making these changes to insure the profiles are all regenerated.

After I presss the "Purge all" the profiles are all regenerated automatically?? Or I need to load them again? Sorry for the question but when you stop withthe mouse on top of the Purge alle button it says "Delete profile info for all sources" and this makes me afraid of pressing it.

Thanks!

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 1:22 PM, Duchess said:

Its great.  I don't think you will be disappointed.  It might take a week or so for you to get used to and how to program it, but I am very happy with the product and its scalability.  I just ordered 3 more decoders today.

Also, the XBMC app that is built into each decoder is awesome.  Granted, it does take the chowmain driver to control... which costs 250.00, however, after buying the driver (just one driver for the whole house) I now basically have an appleTV/video/movie box built into every TV.  This allows me to save an encoder input and watch all the movies my heart desires.

A few more firmware tweaks and updates by Video Storm and these units will be rock solid.  POE on the decoders would be HUGE!! :)

I don't know what my dealer did for my remote.  I press up and down and left and right and select and I can navigate menus.  I don't get two way feedback as to what is playing if you looked at a navigator and some of the other fancy features but bare bones it works 

Archived