C4 Forums | Control4

Dealer help needed to modify simple things in project

^He's not hitting on you.  But, wingzz, this is why you go to college and learn discipline.  When you get to the workplace, you then are familiar with how to crack-open that instruction book thick as the bible and read until the job is done.  I never said it is "wizard" driven or even easy but get 30 yrs. of that under your belt and you start to do it instinctively.

yeah except in the controls industry after 30 years of it things have changed so much you have to relearn it all over again, but thats not a bad ting

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To echo another comment on this thread, if you work with someone like Neil, all these issues go away.  I went through a few non-responsive dealers that gave me tremendous frustration until I learned about Neil in these forums.  He's responsive and able to handle these remote projects easily.

Dan

"I don't know if you're a dealer, have a good relationship with your dealer or whatever, but sometimes you come across as being critical of those who want/suggest something other than the status quo. Isn't it the idea of any forum to engage in respectful discussion, share practices, help others with issues and work to make the item more acceptable to the mainstream? We can agree to disagree " :)

You're right, it is.  So why do we always end-up complaining about the one thing that IS within our control- selection of dealer?  What are you referring to here?  I help as much as I know how which isn't much sometimes.  Do you really expect people here in the forum to magically change the way Control4 chooses to run it's operations?  If you don't know what kind of poster I am, you haven't read much here.  END USER pal, end-user just like you.  I pay like the rest of you for things like moves, adds.  When and if I buy equipment elsewhere, I phone-up someone and he does his thing with CPro and I pay him too. 

You guys beat the hell of wappinghigh because he comes on here with ideas for improvement.  I don't like that.  He deserves to speak along with the crap complaints that we constantly hear about how bad the C4 model is or unresponsive a dealer is.  They probably laugh at us over on the dealer boards...  3 pages of NOTHING here.  How is this helping to "share practices"?

^Yep, I suppose there is some truth there.  Bad info all over the web and the only sure way to get remotely close to truth and an agreement, you still need to meet face-to-face with people.  Post #42 is probably the best thing to come out of all of this.  I could also be biased :) 

Naw, it's still practically gospel.

Wow, that was an interesting read. As someone who currently has a responsive dealer (and "friends"), I can sympathize with the OP. I couldn't imagine the frustration and feeling of helplessness in that situation. Luckily some of the posters here are right (even if rude); you have choices.  There are some good (and responsive) dealers out there, and there's always 'friends' :)

• 7 months later...

Sorry to revive this however I read most of the thread and there are a few things I'd like to say on this topic. I do some side jobs in town for people and I charge what I think is a reasonable rate for me to want to leave my family and go make some extra money. $55 per hour. I have over 10 years in the industry and know my stuff.

If I have a client that wants me to make a small change like that I would just do it for free. If it were to become something that a customer does every  month I would charge, not sure what maybe $20 every so often but you cant get me out of my house for $10. However I do remote support and phone support all the time just dont take advantage of the courtesy. 

Many of the dealers I have worked for in the past will do remote support no problem, you would get charged the appropriate hourly rate however, one billed in 15 minute increments you just dont pay the trip charge. 

However you should respect the dealers time, and keep in mind we are all human and how would you like it if someone were always tapping you on the shoulder to do "this" or "that", sure its not a big deal to accomplish this task but it will take you away from what you are doing, whether it be watching football or programming a clients home, so that effort is worth more than $10. 

If you have a good dealer and you like the work they do respect their time and find a few things they can do so they at least feel like they accomplished something when they are done. Give them a sense of finalization, instead of " ok I'll call you next week when I get my other switch in!" They are never going to want to talk to you again. 

Unfortunately Control4 is not a product that DIYers can do really easily, there are many other systems out there however that you can do yourself and get hardware and software fairly easily, but if you want to live in the C4 universe I say give the dealer something that will take at least 30 mins. And if they have to go to your house, you are going to have to live with the trip charge, so if you want to DIY (which I do on many of my own house projects) then live with the reality that is programming in the C4 world, your going to have to pay for programming. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Can anybody recommend a dealer who can help us remotely with the following problems ? My dealer seems to be too busy and this seems like a small job

We recently had to replace our xfinity cable model and everything came up fine except our DirecTV.

I tried a couple of things and eventually resorted to configuring the new cable modem/router as a bridge and just use the original netgear router that you installed.

I still can't access the Tivo. when i looked it up on the forums it looks like it might be something to do with the Tivo needing a static IP assigned.

With my version of home PC software (Composer) I can't verify that. Could you help. I assigned a static IP of 192.168.1.16 for the Tivo so if you can assign that for me it would be great.

The remote control is also sometime non-responsive and we have to wave it around to get the system to see it - I tried to move the booster around but it doesn't seem to help.

We got a new DVD player - we need to get help switching the control from our old Panasonic DVD player to our new Samsung BD-H5900 player

thanks

Tom

Archived