C4 Forums | Control4

Differences between the former HTC1 and newer HC-300?

fschaeffer

Hello all,

I'm pretty much new to all this Control4 gear, but seriously thinking of setting up a small Control4 system in my house. I will probably start slow with about 10 dimmers and since I have a new Russound CAS44 audio distribution kit, I'll probably use that integrated with the Control4 controller to setup a specific scene.

Does any one know the difference between the 2 starter controllers (HTC1 x HC300)? I know that the newer HC-300 has a RS-232 serial connector, whereas the older had only the jumpers. Besides that, anything major?

Now comparing the HC-300 x HC-500, besides all the media storage capability, anything else? As I don't need the extra capability to browse through the music, playlists, etc, remotely, my question is: do I need the extra U$1000 buying the HC-500?

Regards

The HC-300 is the replacement for the older HTC. HC-300 has a much more powerful processor. Don't even bother with the HTC is is being phased out.

The HC-500 has the same processor and memory as the HC-300. The HC-500 also has more relays and contact switches, more serial ports and digital audio input/outputs. It also has the internal hard drive. The HC-500 is the replacement for the older Media Controller.

Thanks Alan,

If I don't need the media storage, but want to control:

- about 20-30 lighting dimmers/circuits

- about 6 motorized shades in the bedrooms and living room

- integrate with a couple of biometric access points (finger print readers) in the entrance doors

- a couple of IP cameras

- integrate with a russound 4-zone system

would the HC-300 handle that?

Regards

Yes, other than there's not likely a driver for the biometric readers, unless they only use contact inputs (relay outputs).

The HC-300 only has one contact input, so if either fingerprint reader is supposed to do the same thing, you should be OK.

RyanE

Archived