C4 Forums | Control4

"Party Mode" with the 777?

thecodeman

I'm looking to program a way for there to be a "party button" that would do the following:

Play CDs only from the 777 in a loop.

Is this possible? I've created a media scene and I can see where you can do events "when media scene "party mode" is activated..", but I dont know if I can tell it which slots have the cds and to only play those slots, or how to go about it.

Thanks in advance.

Why not RIP your CDs to a hard drive (if you don't have a Media Controller) - as:

1) It'll be much faster

2) You can randomize the play order

3) You can repeat

The 777 "CD" option for playing back in C4 is VERY limited and does not allow for alot of special features. You COULD use a custom button and take advantage of the "repeat / shuffle" buttons on the 777 directly - but C4 doesn't support it natively.

I personally don't have a problem with that, but there are 212+ audio cds in the 777 now. We dont have a media controller at the moment, just an HC-300. My understanding is that C4 doesnt support playlists unless it's an MP3 file from your computer/media controlelr right? There's the time factor of ripping all the discs, or the cost to send it out (low I know, but a cost still). Then buying the media controller. It's not a bad option if that's the only way, and would free up some space for more movies, I just have to explain to the boss (it's his setup) that we'll have to do it that way.

We used to have a dealer, but we were kind of abandoned in that regard and I'm supporting him myself. Long story for another post, no names mentioned.:/

definitely just rip the cd's or send it out. I happened to be doing some last night and it took about 3 minutes or less a cd. your htc-300 will work fine for playing the songs so there's no need to buy another c4 piece of equipment.

tum

definitely just rip the cd's or send it out. I happened to be doing some last night and it took about 3 minutes or less a cd. your htc-300 will work fine for playing the songs so there's no need to buy another c4 piece of equipment.

tum

What do you suggest putting the files on after I'm done ripping? There's no dedicated PC hooked up that it could stream from. Thumb drive?

Out of curiosity, does the 777 support this mode on it's own - for example, theres a menu setting on the changer itself I could navigate to, and if I wanted to, I could create a macro in C4 to navigate to the menu and hit "Play CDs"? At that point, we could forgo a playlist for now while we rip the cd's.

The 777 driver does a lot more than an IR driver, and doesn't call things through the main panel's menu, so I doubt it, unless you were to mess with an IR driver.

I also don't even know if the 777 even has a mode to play all CD's randomly, etc.

RyanE

The 777 driver does a lot more than an IR driver, and doesn't call things through the main panel's menu, so I doubt it, unless you were to mess with an IR driver.

I also don't even know if the 777 even has a mode to play all CD's randomly, etc.

RyanE

Yeah if the changer did have a mode, then I would use an IR driver as if you were using the Sony remote manually.

Just don't try and use the serial driver and an IR driver (or one of the IR remotes) at the same time, it messes up the synchronization between the 777 and the Control4 system.

The Sony 777's protocol is a bit 'brittle' in that sense.

RyanE

Just don't try and use the serial driver and an IR driver (or one of the IR remotes) at the same time, it messes up the synchronization between the 777 and the Control4 system.

The Sony 777's protocol is a bit 'brittle' in that sense.

RyanE

Well then, I'll just rip the CD's to a thumbdrive and put it on the HC-300. What's the best format that's supported?

An easy way to do this is to download iTunes for free from Apple.com and then just load in the CDs 1 by 1. Be sure to specify the mp3 format in your preferences. I'd use 192kbps resolution. Don't even wait for them to rip, just stop by every 5 minutes or less and change out the one just ripped for the next one.

Then they'll all be in the iTunes folder on your hard drive, and just copy that to your thumbdrive. 212 CDs is going to be on the order of 10GB, but you'll know the size drive needed when you're done with the ripping stage.

Archived